Art vs antidepressant
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art vs antidepressant

Maybe a difficult question..
    I'm having some troubles lately. I don't like myself anymore and I can't let go things. But this is not what matters for the question. I am going to a therapist. But she proposed me to go on antidepressant. I am not sure what to do with this.
    What I wonder now: Does these pills affect your motivation for drawing and your creativity? And in what way, positive or negative?
    It is very important for me because I go to an art school, and I really don't want to get worse and fail my year, because of pills that have a negative effect on my artistic abilities.
    So any help of people who had any experience with a situation like this is very helpfull!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get a second opinion from another qualified doctor. Anti depressants can affect not only your moods but also your sleep, appetite, drives, including sex drive. But talk to your doctor about all the side effects and problems don't ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Made no difference to me other than I did not want to come to work and shoot my co-workers as much.
    Now I'm looking to ween off them. Ironic thing is, I was having cancer fears, my doc told me that worrying about
    sickness is part of depression. So I went on the pills, forgot about worrying about being sick, then got cancer. Hahaha

So meh, don't worry about the art. Depression can be a serious problem. I'll tell you they made no difference to my creativity
    negative or otherwise. I just hated my damn job so much. Going freelance was the best anti depressant for me personally. (I don't recommend this for others)

However, these kinds of threads make me nervous. Any and all clinical depression queries, medicinal or otherwise should be brought up with your therapist, not an
    internet forum. Even if some of us are crazy artists, we are not doctors and we are especially not your doctors.

Armand posted while I was typing, but summed it up perfectly. Don't base your decision on a bunch of internet stories from strangers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know about the side effects, but they don't state anything about creativeness. And I guess a doctor doesn't have any experience with creativeness during this medication. Ofcourse I will ask the doctor!

thanks for sharing your experience Star Eater. and I realize that it is not the same for everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I would just watch my diet. Some food can make you fell like crap, and some foods can make you feel good.

I will explain some workings behind depression and hopefully you will take something out of it in your decision to use anti-depressant drugs(with textbook referencing, this helps me brush up on my psychology; you learn when you teach):

Depression is usually caused by a lack of the neurotransmitters serotonin and noepinephrine. Most anti-depressant pills inhibits the re-uptake of serotonin and noepinenphrine. Re-uptake here means "the taking up of again" of neurotransmitters in between synapses after the neurotransmitter has been released from a terminal button of a neuron, and by inhibiting the re-uptake of serotonin and noepinephrine, we allow more serotonin and noepinephrine neurotransmitters to effect other areas of your brain, which then increases the effects of these neurotransmitters, such as improving mood and sleep. A lack of such neurotransmitter would cause opposite effects.

Another type of anti-depressant is monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Monoamine oxidase are enzymes that break done serotonin and noepinephrine, thus inhibiting them allows more serotonin and noepinephrine to reign about.

However, too much serotonin and noepinephrine can cause negative effects as well, effects that may be related to the use of anti-depressant that causes these neurotransmitters to occur more abundantly. Usually the effect here is the opposite of your condition during the lack of the respective neurotransmitters.

In some cases, depressed individuals also respond to placebo anti-depressant pills. Some researchers believe that the effects of anti-depressants are largely due to the combination of the fore-mentioned placebo effect with the physiological changes caused by the drugs themselves. Furthermore, depressed people who have taken the placebo pill have documented neurological changes.

If I were you, I would just eat right and exercise. Even a stroll in the park on a sunny day can help combat depression, since studies have found that sunlight can help release serotonin in your brain. These days of fall(in the northern hemisphere), and getting closer to winter, provides less and less sunlight, in terms of the angle of the sun in the directness of its rays towards the northern hemisphere. This attributes to what is called SAD, or seasonal affective disorder, which is a specific type of depression caused by seasonal changes, particularly the lack of sunlight. There are light bulbs or lamps out there that simulates sunlight, which have been found to help with SAD.

Psychology texts used: Foundations of Behavioral Neuroscience (8th edition) by Neil R. Carlson and Mastering the World of Psychology (3rd edition) by Samuel E. Wood, et al.

I am no doctor, but knowledge is useful when deciding on whether to take drugs that can affect you in so many ways. Personally, if the depression is not severely pathological, such as depression caused by the loss of a loved one or SAD(seasonal affection disorder), I would refrain from taking anti-depressants. Then I would recommend just using proper diet and exercise.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You know what's really bad for creativity? Depression.
    I understand being wary of messing with your brain chemistry, but this is something you're going to have to get a handle on, one way or the other.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL. If you need a second opinion, talk to some other professionals.

There are thousands of possible health factors that could cause depression, and myriad types of clinical depression, and no two individuals are affected the same way. Furthermore, there are countless drugs and therapies for depression, and different people react to them in totally different ways.

If you are dealing with any type of depression, you NEED to work closely with a professional you can trust to find the solution that works for you. You may need to try many things before you find a solution, because, and I can't repeat this enough, treatment for depression is different for every individual. You CANNOT Rely on the experiences and advice of random people on the Internet, because what works for them won't necessarily work for you.

(I've had friends and relatives dealing with various forms of depression for years, trying different treatments... In some cases they're still trying.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.