Sketchbook: No, I said I have Artism, not....nevermind
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No, I said I have Artism, not....nevermind

Art is the most fun I have working at something. It is tough to enjoy reading about too many other fields. I think I have to make it my career. Illustration, concept art and even animation all seem pretty cool. I would really love it for anyone to give me some critiques to improve my works or ideas I can do for studies and I'll do the same for you!

I'm just getting back into digital works. Here's SF's Akuma that I drew and coloured. I think I need to get some darker darks, but it was fun.
    Name:  akuma.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  AlexBlechSm.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by MisterStrum; November 24th, 2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Return from dormancy
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd try again to keep a consistent sketchbook on here. although I am lazy with the whole re-sizing and editing images business. These are some older works that I've done. I will continue to update as the week continues, although feel free to check my deviantart or blog for some more recent works in the mean time.

Drawing with a tablet is still super hard!

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start! that apple looks spot on
    look forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Spudonkey! Here's some more works. All of these have pretty much been posted in the order in which I did them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more older but more recent works to update with. I think at this point I really started to try to remove any sort of washed out colors and values that I had in my previous digital works. I was getting more comfortable with photoshop and I think I'm learning here about the importance of value before color. The sketchpage was from a subway ride as part of Toronto's subway sketchgroup. For a while I was in the habit of having on a stream from twitch.tv in the background and sometimes I'd end up doodling what was on stream. So from that ended up a nice little piece of fan art that the streamer (CobaltStreak) now displays on his channel from time to time. Awesome! It feels great to have people happy to display my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again, here are my latest works. I've done a lot of studying of skin tones, general painting and portraits. I think I learned a lot in these last 4 portraits I've done. Like in the portrait of the asian dude, I use grays, but it ends up looking blue because of all the orange around. The portrait of the goaltender is Toronto Maple Leafs Reimer. I did this from a photo for a friend and because the lighting was rather diffused I focused more on the hues of the skin during this study. I think the portrait of my dog has turned out the best so far.

The still life I did after setting up a shadow box, although I think I made the drawing too small. Its width is probably around 8 inches. I couldn't really dive in to details on the spoon and had trouble with things like the rim of the pot. This is basically my first still life and I'd love if anyone has any opinions, either on setup or critiques. I think I am going to have to do more of them, they are a combination of relaxing and frustration! (Also I rounded the front ornament since uploading!)

I'm really trying to focus on understanding how light works and hitting the basics of form and texture. I gotta be less lazy...but it is so easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Mister! I dig the portraits man, looking great, The Doggy was looking awesome, I would like to see you go further on it though, like i love the little hairs on the face but i feel everything else is way looser that it makes it feel too unfinished. I understand that you might be trying to use detail to make a focal point, and thats totally working, just careful with the edges try to make them more seamless, Watch the value transitions too.

You asked me about my still lives, They were all from life, most of them set up in class. Made with Oils.

The portraits from your last post are specially great, the only thing is the HAIR man.. that hair.. is not looking good to me at all. I feel like you are relying wayyyyy to much on that costume brush. I would suggest using other brushes first that don't look like hair, and try to paint the masses of hair first, then at the very end when it already looks like hair.. use those kind of custom brushes to give it the last 10% of details.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rem, thanks for the tips, I tried to use the default hair brush a lot more subtly in this recent painting. They do look a bit too obviously digital in the last couple. I'm working on improving my edges and painting and general. I've been a pencil die hard for most of my life.

This is a just a few things I have done in my sketchbook recently. I unfortunately don't have the best scanner and and I have a big sketchbook! I was happy with how the faces and poses from my imagination turned out, although I ended up with the love child of gollum and quasimodo for one of the pics, lol.

This is my most recent painting/portrait study I've done and I spent quite a bit of time with it. I was very conscious of the values throughout the process, and kept a black-filled saturation layer on top of everything that I could toggle on and off. I think this one is less washed out and has a bit more pop. I also decided to start in black and white with this one, a change from my prior approach. Here is a link to a gif of the process.

Members who have read this thread: 28