Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchy Beginnings

It begins! May it grow and prosper:]
    Name:  stb.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  5.7 KB
    (Edit: moved first post images to the next post, this post is now for thumbnails.)

Last edited by Fess1001; November 21st, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First Post:
    Name:  SpeedPaint14.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  162.9 KB
    Name:  SpeedPaint16.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  482.3 KB
    Name:  SpeedPaint17.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  330.2 KB
    Name:  SpeedPaint15.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  120.4 KB
    Name:  SpeedPaint11.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  152.1 KB
    Name:  SpeedPaint18.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  136.1 KB
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Kevin! Here's one more.

I've been experimenting with the creative workspace that Android Jones so generously supplied within Painter, and it served as a base for the following sketch. The very first one I did actually produced a pretty interesting (imo) character, but unfortunately Painter crashed and I lost the file. This was the second attempt. I couldn't get anything too awesome out of Painter right away, but I thought there might be a zombie in there somewhere, so I took it to Photoshop -- and lo and behold - a zombie there was! There were also a couple of other things there too, but yeah, hopefully better luck next time >_>

Name:  UndeadChickenSketch.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  435.3 KB

Last edited by Fess1001; November 3rd, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I experimented some more, and there's certainly some potential there. The pattern/shape morph brushes, for example, are pretty cool can get some interesting near-finished looking accidents, or just some blobs to start off from. The unique 'near-finished' stuff is what sells it for me over what I'd be able to get with shapes/textures or photo sourced brushes in PS. Will need to mess it more and build up the pattern library >_>.

The following are the thumbnails from Android's workspace shape brushes.
    Name:  thumbs.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  179.3 KB

And this is what I got when I set up my own patterns/brushes. There was some post work in PS for signs and logos, but the main features and paint over was done in Painter.
    Name:  MechaSmall_01.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  137.2 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I like the first landscapes especially

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kevin, anivy - thanks guys!

Here's another one. A slightly prolonged environment painting.
    Name:  EnvironmentSP19.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  176.4 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome style man. love the grimy gritty atmosphere of the latest landscape. thanks for sharing your work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Will McCraw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my goodness i had no idea you could do stuff like that in painter! :0 doyou prefer photoshop or painter? your vast landscapes are amazing also!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wutangclam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love love love love that mech suit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to greymatter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will McCraw - thanks man!~
    wutangclam - thank you! Yeah, me neither actually I am still learning it.. Erm, I've been doing most of my work in photoshop as it's faster for me and has more more functionality, while Painter seems to be pretty cool for more creative/accidental stuff. But yeah, I am still far from comfortable using it. Been doing mostly plastic/metallic and 'creamy' type of stuff in it.
    greymatter - thanks!

An update:
    More thumbnails. Started these as a warm up before doing something unrelated, and then of course just ended up spending all the time on it. >_> Oh well. The plan is to loosen up on character poses/shapes and design ideas.

Name:  Thumbnails2.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  207.8 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so jealous of your painting skillz! You really have the gritty, moody colours down pat, it makes you paintings so atmospheric! When I try to do something similar it just looks like mud lol

Post mooooar! I want to see mooooore!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second what anivy said, I really like the dark vibe going on in a lot of your work. Keep posting up .

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JonHop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anivy - Thank you! Heh, I was actually thinking mine looked kinda muddy. Your last portrait had really nice colors and variation - I think if you have more of that up close and more greyed out in the distance in your environments, they'd be much better than anything I am able to scratch up For me, all I'm using is atmospheric perspective with a pretty limited color palette (but yeah, needing more color variation, at least up close). Oh, and lots of clouds. >_> Maybe that's the key

JonHop - Thanks! I try:]

Here's some more sketching, experimenting and thumbnails. I actually even did two very quick photo studies (in the bottom image on the left) woot. I'm planning to do better and more careful ones the next time. Hopefully it'll help. >_> Oh, and if anyone has any other suggestions for specific areas to work on, I'd be keen to hear those too! As it is, I'm probably going to start with portraits, then maybe full figure anatomy and materials..

Name:  16Nov12_1.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  184.0 KB
    Name:  16Nov12_2.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  194.1 KB
    Name:  16Nov12_3.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  74.9 KB

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, super nice stuff! Interesting use of brushes.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to fireframe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap, awesome post! that slimy creature second from the top left really is amazing! It makes me think something out of silent hill crossed with alien crossed with dead space (!!!). Not sure how to describe it exactly, but I think its the texture of its skin that makes it pop so much, and the subtle colour palette. Do you find monsters fun to make? Your human characters are really great too, but to me your creatures and robots seem to stand out more to me, as though you had more fun with them!

And yeap, if in doubt, do studies!! That helmet in particular is awesome. Would like to see it bigger if you can next time?

Thanks for the tip about the colours too, I'm gonna try that when I get a chance to sit and do some more landscapes. I think I always oversaturate colours because I'm afraid of the muddiness.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to anivy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice painting style and humanoid concepts. You could get a lot more mileage if you desaturated and lightened your backgrounds and made your forergrounds darker and more contrasty with lots of details. As for the characters, just make sure that they look like they are really standing on the ground. Some of them see a bit floaty. Overall really nice stuff.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to akildee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I those creature thumbs in the top left man, awesome stuff. I think going to the portrait studies next is the right way to go, I don't really have much in put and you seem to know what you need to work on, so just keep pushing yourself and I look forward to seeing moar!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JonHop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fireframe - Thanks!~

anivy - Thank you! Do you mean the middle creature? Yeah, those are pretty fun. I do way more robots than I do creatures, but since in both cases all you need is to just know the very basics, you are then free to do whatever -- or concentrate on design (something I really like). Any blob or a splotch could be turned into a creature, or incorporated into one - so it's pretty fun to get really wacky brushes and see what weird shapes you can get. Same thing with robots, although I do have a tendency for more humanoid ones. With people though you are stuck with roughly the same proportions and anatomy, so unless you are designing outfits, the exercise becomes either reproducing the form exactly, or doing something interesting with it:/ All of which requiring tons of research and reference for every little thing -- and even then it might not be enough, so you'd want to either get a model, or try and fake it unsuccessfully.. It's far less spontaneous for me. I would like to get better at that too though.

About the helmet study -- yeah, I'll try to get bigger ones next time. The reference that I had was pretty small (just slightly bigger than my version, actually) - and then I also had to scale it down so that it would fit on the page:/

akildee - Thanks! Really appreciate the critique, wish there was more of that. I'll keep those pointers in mind, thanks again.~

AdrianNagorski - Thank you!

JonHop - Thanks man

Ok, well, I only managed one study and spent most of the time messing with my old projects. I made a few *breakthroughs* on some of them, so yeah -- studies and quick paintings do seem to help:]

Study. No color picking and everything including the image dimensions was done by eye. And yes, the face is a bit messed up -- she's not supposed to look that creepy/nutty

Name:  Study01.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  203.6 KB

These are some of the works in progress that I've worked on on and off for a few months, and decided to unleash. Comments and critique are very welcome, if you have! >_>
    Rural illustration attempt. It's supposed to be set in Russia, the cart is bringing home the dead husband/father from the war. I suppose stuff like that happened 'shrug'. Anyways, I am not very happy with how it turned out. Couldn't find a decent ref for the horse either

Name:  RuralWip01.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  182.5 KB

I think this one is close to being finished. Not 100% if that's the best composition, so I've added a few other variations that I was thinking of. The very bottom one in "d" would have other things on the right hand side to balance it out - was thinking it could be more interesting/involved than all the other versions. That is, I am not sure if the sparse versions aren't toooo sparse. But I do prefer them compositionally so far. Would love to know what people think.

Name:  EnvWip01.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  147.0 KB

Variations, with 'a' being the one I favour currently, and 'b' having a pretty good, if sparse composition too.
    Name:  ScifiFantasy_env_Variations.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  180.6 KB

These are some of the older versions:
    Name:  ScifiFantasy_env_old.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  113.1 KB

Cityscape - another one that is getting there, slowly but surely. I started it off just to practice cityscapes, which I find extremely difficult and also not very interesting. Would be keen to hear what you think.~

Name:  CityScape_wip01.jpg
Size:  364.3 KB

A fairly straight forward "fight" illustration. I almost never do character interactions, so I thought it would be a good thing to try. Also, I've been wanting to do a girl barbarian in the snow for ages

Name:  BattleWip01.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  168.8 KB

This is a work in progress redesign of an old creature concept for a 3d model. Just wanted to make it more interesting and portfolio worthy>_> The version on white is what I had before.

Name:  Creaturewip01.jpg
Size:  184.1 KB

Thanks for looking, and again, if you have any C&C for any of that stuff -- let me know!

Last edited by Fess1001; November 21st, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following

39. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you did so much work since the last time I visited =O! Your painting with the big robot thing the comps I like the most are the first one and the middle one (with the blue cloth) of the older ones you did, for me those 2 versions lead the eye the best to the main focus.

The illustration of the dead husband coming home has great use of colour, very atmospheric but the houses being set on that slope makes me feel uneasy as it is a very steep slope.

The creatures silhouette is awesome, I look forward to seeing it more refined. Hope I was of some kind of help, keep it up.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to JonHop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're inspiring me man! Once I get my line work down I'll be moving to digital paint. Prolly won't be till may of next year. But your paintings make me want to jump ahead! Your use of color is coming along nicely. Just keep going. On your fight illustration, watch the head placement on the bad guy. Usually when you pull up your arms like that your head would tilt back. Changing the head position would also just make the pose cooler. As for the girl I would straighten up one of her legs. This is just a personal thing because I've read comic books for years, but if you straighten one of her legs, you'll be able to feel that sweep from the leg all the way through the core of her body. But thats just a suggestion. Nice work man.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to akildee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're an inspiration!

"Step by Step One Travels Far."~Tolkien

SKETCHBOOK

45. The Following User Says Thank You to TristanFletcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas - thanks man!~

JonHop
    - Thanks, hehe, those are actually pretty old wips - I hardly did anything from the previous post Yeah, I liked the ones with the blue cloth quite a bit too, but I thought the environment was rather simple and what I'd normally do, so I wanted to see if it can be more complicated.. The top one of the old ones turned out to be too complicated for more, and I thought it needed more of a story to work that way, which I also couldn't really figure out. I think the plain ones in the newer version would work better since they don't really need a story to work. Hm, that's interesting about the rural illustration - I haven't really noticed the slope of the house being so extreme until you mentioned it o_O. I am probably not going to work on that one, or at least not in the near future as I got pretty fed up with it:/ Will certainly keep it in mind for the later things. Thanks again!~

akildee
    - thank you! You know, in my view, it might be a good idea to actually start on painting as soon as you can because it's quite a bit different from drawing, and studying things in two mediums at the same time helps you understand things much better and pushes both of those skills further than if you just did them separately/one after the other. Not to mention, from what you've said in your thread, you are keen on getting there with concept art as fast as possible - painting and doing creative things with shapes is pretty crucial to that, imo.

Also, thanks for the critique. Yeah, I am not too happy about the head placement on the bad guy either tbh. It used to be more in, but I thought it didn't read well enough so I pushed it out, and now it looks like maybe he was hanged and his neck is elongated. Which is probably too far to go for most people, haha. Not sure if the head would necessarily tilt back though; when trying out the pose myself, my head actually naturally goes downwards:/ Not to the same extent of course, but yeah.. well, I'll try to have it look more natural. P.s.: you wouldn't happen to have any links to refs of fighters that jump kick with a straight leg as you mention? I've had a -ton- of trouble with that pose and I tried a bunch of things (and I think there was a straight leg there too) - I just couldn't get it to look very dynamic, like 'action about to happen' :/ I've also looked at a ton of refs, although those were mostly flying kicks photos, they weren't really doing what I am trying here:/

TristanFletcher - thanks man! I'm glad you like

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, some more half-assed things. Mostly Painter stuff, except for the first environment.
    //Even though I've been using Painter for a while now, it's always been for small, specific things (like robots), and I've never been able to fully finish anything in it without having to go to PS for the last 20-30%. I mean, it feels really awesome to work in, but you just can't get the same finesse that you get really easy in PS, for some reason:/ So I've been messing around with brush settings, and I think I am slowly getting there. The thing I miss the most is the soft/hard slider for the basic round brushes - Painter alternatives just never quite work as well for me..
    But yeah, anyways - more things:] These are fairly quick, not quite finished and also totally ref-less. >_>

Name:  EnvDec04_1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  113.3 KB
    Name:  n_Robot.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  170.3 KB
    Name:  Aztec_robot.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  79.5 KB
    Name:  ThumbsDec04_1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  175.4 KB
    Name:  ThumbsDec04_2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  125.3 KB
    Name:  ThumbsDec04_3.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  86.8 KB
    Name:  ThumbsDec04_4.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  83.2 KB
    Name:  ThumbsDec04_5.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  88.8 KB

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    some damn fine work in here man!!! great stuff!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

48. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats - thank you!~

Some more things. Robot portraiture was originally a paintover of a zbrush sculpt, although the screenshot and the end result are pretty different (e.g both of the front views were painted over the same ss).
    Name:  Dec14_Robo1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  214.0 KB

Name:  Dec14_Robo2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  149.4 KB

A thumbnail and a quick study
    Name:  Dec14_SpeedP1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  95.2 KBName:  Dec14_QS.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  78.2 KB

This was a heavily referenced rocks experimentation. I also added a complementary wizard. (No reason.)
    Name:  Dec14_Env1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  363.5 KB

Turned one blob into three different blobs:
    Name:  Dec14_SpeedP4.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  67.2 KBName:  Dec14_SpeedP3.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  105.7 KBName:  Dec14_SpeedP2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  118.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the feed back on my sketchbook! I'm still loving your stuff. I forgot to add you to my favourites last time, but indeed did this time around!

"Step by Step One Travels Far."~Tolkien

SKETCHBOOK

51. The Following User Says Thank You to TristanFletcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tristan - np, thanks! Hope it doesn't disappoint, heh.

Did this a while earlier but didn't upload as the site was having issues or something. More of the same mess, I guess. Really need to stop being lazy and get on with teh studies of things>_>

Name:  RobotsLine_1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  310.7 KB
    Name:  RobotsLine--2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  304.1 KB
    Name:  Sketches1_7_13.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  287.0 KB
    Name:  Girl.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  144.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New things! I've been pretty lazy with updating (in part because it just takes me way to long to prep it all up), so, well -- now there's lots. Hope it's ok.
    The top robot and the one below were both painted over the same base zbrush mesh. Goes to show how well that must have turned out:p One of the things I learned though, is if you really care about the design for this sort of thing --best to at least start your thumbnails in 2d. Getting stuck with the bad underlying 3d shape resulted in taking me longer than usual and the designs haven't quite gotten there yet either.

This one is the closest to the original 3d, I guess. I might post those up later for comparison.

This was me taking more liberties with shapes, although the proportions could still do with some more work..

This and all the stuff below are the random sketches/brush tests/etc. The two girl portraits in the bulk pages below were done from refs.

Thanks for looking. Hope you like.~

Last edited by Fess1001; June 16th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to go back to the basics, hence this is mostly b/w, silhouette and rendering exercise type of stuff. Other than that, just more mindless things.

Name:  TwoRobots_small.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  216.3 KB
    Name:  Robot_quick3.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  GirlandMan.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  379.1 KB

Name:  GreenRobot.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  LongFingersRobot.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  130.8 KBName:  MonsterChick.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  82.3 KB
    Name:  WhiteBG_sketches.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  303.8 KB
    Name:  EnvThumbnails.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  120.7 KBName:  Vehicles.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  NewThumbs.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  359.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.