Thread: christmas card

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The CooperBlaD font is too well known and in this case really, really doesn't fit.
    You might want to re-do the cross? It makes the entire drawing look quite sloppy- it is obvious that this was your first go at it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aside from the bells and possibly the cross, I don't see what this has to do with Christmas.
    I mean, I've seen and liked macabre humorous christmas cards with murderous santas and such.
    But this just seems really random. Here's an example of one I liked that might help you to see what
    I mean.

Name:  c068.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  61.0 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gotta agree with Star Eater, this pretty much comes off like those classic cases of "my mom/teacher told me to draw a Christmas card so I deliberately made it as un-christmassy and "edgy" as possible but it has bells so it's totally a christmas card, haw haw, and I'm twelve years old".

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i could see that.. it had nothing to do with christmas when i started. i originally had a hand holding the cross up to the face, as if presenting Christianity to a demon. i suppose i have twelve year old humor because i did just put the rest on for kicks and giggles.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybrann View Post
    yeah i could see that.. it had nothing to do with christmas when i started. i originally had a hand holding the cross up to the face, as if presenting Christianity to a demon. i suppose i have twelve year old humor because i did just put the rest on for kicks and giggles.
    Then I would ask that what part do you want critique on, if the whole image is basically just "I just did it, lol" without any real thought behind it?

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the design of the creature mostly and the line work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm and if you could do the same on this picture that would be cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the design of the creature mostly and the line work
    Thanks for letting us know by not telling this anywhere in the original post or title.

Anyway, is that the whole creature or am I just seeing a part of it? There's something getting cut by the frame so I have no idea what I'm not seeing and overall I'm not sure if the ribcage is supposed to be that small or if you just ran out of paper and had to squeeze it in there. Actually doing a proper image of the creature would have helped, instead of doing all that christmas stuff over it.

For the second one, are the black lines actual something (goo, web, etc) or just background decorations? In the first one they seem to attach to the creature but in the second one they just look like background scribbles so I can't tell.
    The rest of the stuff in her back is pretty ambiguous to what it is, are the protrusions bloody bone, strips of flesh, or just red things? Same goes for the black stuff, the line rendering makes it look like string or hair because they can't really be muscles either, so overall I again have to say I don't really know what I'm looking at.

As for the lineart, the lines are pretty unsure and wavy looking still. You're not petting the lines too much (though the fact that you draw over some lines twice looks pretty bad when the other line is all wavy) and there's some line thickness variation in good places, but the lack of control is still really apparent.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the black stuff is suppose to be more of a goo but sinuous like muscle and not drippy. on the first one it attaches to the creature and on the second one its just a background, maybe if i fill the whole background with it it will look more like a background and less like a part of the girl. on the second one the back is suppose to be muscle that weaves in around protrusions of the spine. what do you mean by petting the lines? the reason my lines are pretty wavy are my hands shake. i'm not sure what to do about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the second one the back is suppose to be muscle that weaves in around protrusions of the spine.
    Check out real back muscles. Also muscles don't generally "weave" around anything (not to mention some of the red things seem to be glued on top of the muscles which just makes no sense) and overall those muscles don't look to have any function (especially since they don't seem to attach anywhere and aren't symmetrical), like what body parts do they move? If you just wanted to make it look creepy and detailed, then using that black goo would have probably worked better.

what do you mean by petting the lines? the reason my lines are pretty wavy are my hands shake. i'm not sure what to do about that.
    As in go over the same line several times in short strokes, like you'd pet a dog. As for the hand shake, you'll just have to practice controlling your arm (unless you have some neurological issue or drink way too much caffeine drinks) so you can do long, steady strokes. Using a brush and ink is generally better for this.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah ok cool i see what you mean. thank you for taking time to help me out. how would you suggest making it look like the red things are protruding instead of glued on top? probably just better design with whatever i have going on with the muscles/goo on the back?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how would you suggest making it look like the red things are protruding instead of glued on top?
    Well here's some simple ways to show something protruding:
    Name:  stabbythings.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  184.3 KB
    There are other ways, depending on what the matter is where the spike is bursting (like if it's stringy and durable the spike might just spread the strings) and whether the spike is sharp or not, how fresh you want the protrusion to look etc etc...

Last edited by TinyBird; October 29th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! thanks for that!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.