"A Foreign Shore": YouTube Video
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"A Foreign Shore": YouTube Video

While I am waiting for my fantasy novel, "A Foreign Shore," to ferment in the publisher's slush pile, I decided to do up the illustrations, by Liz Clarke, as a YouTube video, set Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=290vb3vaeAc

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope I am not violating any rules by replying to my own message, but I wanted to point out a couple things before it scrolls off:

This video is based on the pan-and-zoom techniques pioneered by Ken Burns in his famous Civil War documentary. They have since become rather common. Pan-and-zoom is a rather simple technique for adding motion to still pictures. A good YouTube video can attract a lot more attention than just a still. The drawback is that you need a lot of art, and it has to be well detailed.

In this case, I started with the 30 illos I had commissioned from Liz Clarke and added 4 pieces of title art I stole from Maxfield Parrish (who is long dead and won't object). This was enough for an 11-minute video. As a rule, I didn't want to linger more than 30 seconds on any one piece of art. The minimum was 10 seconds. Transitions were a bit tricky: I tried to focus on some common motif: a face or an object which repeats itself. This helps to preserve a sense of continuity.

Now I'll shut up for awhile.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want critique on these illustrations, it would be better if you had the original artist post these here in image form and not as a video. And if you want critique for the video... well this place isn't very good for that either.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My initial reaction is that the video is waaaay toooo loooong and moves waaaay tooooo sloooowly. If it were me, I'd keep it down around two minutes.

The larger problem is that while pan-and-zoom is a fine technique, I'm not getting any sense of the story at all. I'm not sure if you just like cropping in so tight on the figures that any sense of context is lost, or that the art just doesn't lend itself to this kind of treatment. You might do well to start from scratch--and this time, be relentless about asking yourself, "is the narrative clear here?" If it isn't, go back and redo it until it is clear.

The use of the Parrish illustrations at the beginning feels very clip-art-ish--especially since they depict characters and events which (presumably) are not in your novel. I'd lose them. (FYI: just because the guy's dead doesn't necessarily mean his work is in the public domain...his estate may retain copyright to the work.)

As always, just my two cents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.