any advice on finishing paintings?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: any advice on finishing paintings?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

any advice on finishing paintings?

my problem is that i dont really know how to bring a painting to a decent finish. the speedpainting down there is obviously just a quick sketch, but still. if id try to finish it, id refine the edges and smooth it out a bit, so you dont see the brushstrokes anymore, but of course that means, im getting rid of the textures, which sucks. any advice? oh and please ignore the foreground, its just a placeholder.

Name:  big thing speedpainting.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  288.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Block in the basic shapes, get the lighting down and then use that to determine your textures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I'm learning as well, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But, it really helps to have the characters you want in the picture already planned out. So, this way you won't have to guess on what you want the characters in the image to look like. Do a character concept sheet of the main big guy, and the little guy using references for armor and design.

Also, thumbnails help this process as well to determine the light source, composition and color choices.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First listen to the man above me. But to answer your question as well you need to keep adding to the piece. you did it with the face a little. Once you're happy with the look of the large brush strokes, drop down in brush size and add in edges and details, rinse and repeat. Right now the armor the big dude has on looks very 2D. Let's talk about the arms. The edges are muddy and unfocused, that works for the arm that's far away but the arm closest to the viewer needs work.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dsworn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is the big guy doing? Is he going to hit the small one? If so, the pose doesn't really work. Try making the same pose yourself, and you'll see that you do not bend the fist and arm you're gonna hit with (the one furthest away) like that when you're about to hit. It's too relaxed and straight; you don't relax the arm you're gonna hit with. Also, everything except the big guy's face leads straight out of the upper left corner of the picture, and especially the arm I just talked about. This is probably easily solved by placing it in a more bent pose; again try to make the pose yourself.

And the little guy has a spear against a giant, who's looking like he's made of metal. It looks rather pathetic, to be blunt, because it looks like he's gonna be hit right of the cliff he's standing on. I'd buy it if he was placed in pose that suggested that he was agile and moved fast, so to leap aside; or a wizard who could produce strong defenses; or simply did not have one of the most slow weapons: a spear. Always consider backstory: you wouldn't walk up to face that giant with a spear, it's not a smart choice. If he walked there by accident (not what you'd always wanted to happen on your morning stroll, I'm sure), then show that in the picture.

That was everything BUT the rendering, but you've already gotten excellent answers on that. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's not a very interesting sketch to begin with; perhaps that's why you don't feel like finishing it.

If it doesn't work as a painting at a sketchy stage, it won't work as a painting when finished either.

Plan important things like action, composition, lighting from the very start.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    General discussion on the process of "finishing," may be of help: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ished-quot-art

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well he could be skate boarding over the little guy. Check where you've put the light on his head, glove and arms. Smooth it over, you can always add texture later, just get the the forms and light sorted first.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone thread can be closed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.