"Just for fun" or "bare the pain"?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: "Just for fun" or "bare the pain"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Just for fun" or "bare the pain"?

There seems to be two different schools of thought:

Just for fun: do it for the fun of doing it, don't set goals you can fail, don't have expectations.

Bare the pain: set a goal and never give up until you achieve it no matter how bad you feel.

The problem of the first motto, is that people don't usually associate fun with effort. They rather seat in their comfort zone and do whatever comes easy or relax. Some people enjoy challenge and solving problems, that's their fun. They probably were raised this way so they never knew any different. To give up because "it's not fun anymore" is rather lame when people are giving up because learning is painful for them and they rather not know how bad they are.

The problem with the second is that you need to be resilient to pain, failure and obstacles. You'll have tons of problems you didn't expect. But if you resist distractions and easy fun (TV, bumming in the beach). It still seems better as a starting point, as most will be deluded on how good we are and taking learning seriously won't be fun until we convince ourselves that's where the fun lies. That might take a while, though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Easy isn't fun, it's boring.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's cultural differences, but I haven't really met that many people that belong to the "just for fun" category in everything they do and were over 16 years old. Overall personally I think just having fun belongs together with bearing the pain because if you only work to achieve a goal without enjoying the process at all, well...

Not to mention it's perfectly okay to have things you do just for fun. I sometimes get into this clash of expectations when I, who takes art seriously, and someone else who doesn't take it seriously in the level as I do have to do something art wise and the other person wouldn't be interested putting the same level of effort as I do into it and I'm all boggled about their mindset, but then when I go into, say MTG gathering and meet people who expect me to study the best strategies and cards to build my decks and I go all like "whaaaat" because to me playing MTG is just more casual fun to have (even if it isn't exactly easy and I strive to get better, but my main goal still isn't to win), same as several other things in life, like photography etc where you'll see me do my best to get good images but you won't see me go through the same effort as someone who actually concentrates on photography.
    Obviously if I were to go like "I want to be a professional MTG player whee" and not put any more effort into it that I do now, that'd cause problems to me but...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    The problem with the second is that you need to be resilient to pain, failure and obstacles. You'll have tons of problems you didn't expect.
    Well, HELLO, you need to be able to deal with pain, failure, obstacles and unexpected problems just to get through LIFE.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a spoiled rich kid or a naive sheltered teen who's in for a rude awakening once they leave home... Better to be prepared and learn how to deal with shit before you enter the real world. Forcing yourself to do non-fun studying and chores when you're a kid is good for that. It gives you the ability to tackle non-fun but necessary tasks later in life.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not about "fun" and "not-fun", it's about reward.

At whatever level of art you're at, whether you're messing around or whether you're reaching for that long-term goal that's really difficult, you are getting some kind of reward and anticipating future rewards. You might like the process of drawing, you might enjoy the feeling of achievement you get from improving, you might like getting paid for your skills and/or you might like people telling you how good you are -- there's lots of rewards you could be potentially receiving. Heck -- you might even like complaining about how hardcore you are and how this makes you better than those other people who aren't as dedicated as you. But you're getting *something* out of it.

When you look at art from the reward angle there isn't really any difference between the people who do it for "fun" and the people working towards a long-term goal. Both of these people are being rewarded in some way for what they do and so they keep doing it.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I get a food pellet every time I finish a drawing? A chocolate one, by preference.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Can I get a food pellet every time I finish a drawing? A chocolate one, by preference.
    Why not? Buy a bag of premium chocolate chips and eat one whenever you finish something.
    Hmmm. Actually that does seem convenient and rewarding. Maybe this is what chocolate chips are really meant for.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Why not? Buy a bag of premium chocolate chips and eat one whenever you finish something.
    I... I actually sort of do that. Only with a small plate of mixed chocolates and nuts. Regular chocolate for fuel and when I make good progress I can eat one of the fancy chocolates. Heh.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez Queen, warn us when you change avatars! Until I looked at your name I didn't know it was you! (I'm on a small screen).

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, people throw me out of whack with their new avvies and name changes all the time, this is my revenge...

(Actually no, it's in honor of getting my new webcomic off the ground. Figured the occasion called for a fresh avatar.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think trying to do either extreme is a bad idea. Like most things in life, you need a good balance. If you only do studies and exercises that you don't find enjoyable you won't enjoy art any more, and why pursue something which takes so much practice if you don't enjoy it? You need to make room for the things you find fun, and for the technical studies too. I suppose it depends on personality too, but I know that in my case if I tried to do either one of those things to the exclusion of the other I would not get very far.

On the subject of chocolate, I once saw a little gadget in a magazine which you fill with chocolates or sweets and keep on your desk and hit the button on it to deliver one when you think you deserve a treat. I kind of wanted one.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Hmmm. Actually that does seem convenient and rewarding. Maybe this is what chocolate chips are really meant for.
    If I did that my ass would be bigger than my ego, as hard to imagine as that is, it wouldn't be pretty.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    If I did that my ass would be bigger than my ego, as hard to imagine as that is, it wouldn't be pretty.
    I'm so tempted to ask for pics, but on this occasion I must pass.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget to ring a bell before eating one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'bare the pain' sounds like some weird fetish, either that or you're planning on becoming a life model.

'Bear the pain'

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    But Sir Mix-a-Lot would find you terribly attractive!

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think there was one of those gloriously creepy Ad Council anti-drug ads that had a rat with a wire surgically implanted into the pleasure centers of its brain. The rat had a button to control stimulating itself. It eventually ignored everything else and kept pushing the button 'til it starved to death.

I mean. . .

What's to keep you from, eventually, just eatin' the dang cookies!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Hey, people throw me out of whack with their new avvies and name changes all the time, this is my revenge...

(Actually no, it's in honor of getting my new webcomic off the ground. Figured the occasion called for a fresh avatar.)
    Didja put a Native American in it (like I suggested on your blog)?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing all that hard stuff is actually fun for me, I enjoy going through struggles and then seeing the fruits of those struggles. That just me though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    I think there was one of those gloriously creepy Ad Council anti-drug ads that had a rat with a wire surgically implanted into the pleasure centers of its brain. The rat had a button to control stimulating itself. It eventually ignored everything else and kept pushing the button 'til it starved to death.

I mean. . .

What's to keep you from, eventually, just eatin' the dang cookies!
    B.F Skinner's experiments on rats and food are absolutely fascinating. When the systems were set so one button push = one food pellet, the rats would eventually lose interest in the button/food because they knew they could get it at any time. When he set it so that a random number of button pushes triggered a food pellet, the rats would push the button tirelessly on the off chance they'd get some food (see also: gambling).

So obviously the solution here is to have a housemate give you a cookie after a random amount of drawings produced.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Didja put a Native American in it (like I suggested on your blog)?
    I'll get to that, man! C'mon, I've barely started chapter one! ('Sides, I'd need to do research so's not to screw it up...)

Keep pestering me and I'll have to make a mob of Cherokees sweep outta nowhere on palominos and derail the plot... (That... would actually be kinda fun. But then what would I do with my 100 backlog pages?)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol. Hey, thought you'd have at least the first arc laid out like any organized project, *cough,cough*. Hah!

-John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 1