Thanks

Why Are People Such A--holes

I've had my first experience with people swiping another's work and telling you how they did it. I really thought that people didn't do that sh!t.

Sometime last week We interviewed a possible candidate for the place I work at. Any candidate that interviews is interviewed by the leads and than by the rest of the art department. Anyways this guy was interviewing for more of a senior art position but we had all checked out his portfolio only to find pics. from a well know site which he had ran color adjustments and filters in photoshop and not only that this dude had the balls to sign his name on the pics. We never brought it up to him just to avoid a scene. But honestly don't a be an A--hole if you're thinking of doing this. YOu'll always get caught. And you'll look like an ass. And you won't get the job. Thank you. One day you'll be glad you didn't do it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you should have put the imphasis on ALWAYS,, and not so much YOULL.... but you are correct.. ive seen portfolios with stolen art at some of the places ive worked at and i think its great.. it makes for great intertainment.

-Lono

Thanks
    Originally posted by Lono
    ive seen portfolios with stolen art at some of the places ive worked at and i think its great.. it makes for great intertainment.
    I agree. It's always a hoot seeing blatantly ripped off material. Nothing'll get a crowd around a lead's monitor quicker, than seeing this in a showreel.

Thanks

hehe, aslong as the guys get caught, and they will sooner or later...its all gravy. I love to hear about "busted" stories =)
    Last edited by WildSpruceMoose; June 22nd, 2004 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    What I would worry about though, is this guy might just go apply elsewhere, and if the people don't know the work they might give him a job. He'd probably get found out eventually, but that's still a matter of wasted time and money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    You should really give us the guys name and a list of of pieces he ripped off. That's the best way to teach these cockroaches a lesson. Destroy every ounce of credability they have.

Thanks
    I'd be ashamed to call myself an interviewer for an art position if I wouldn't be able to catch the rip.. Anyway, there is a blacklist going around I beleive ?..

Thanks
    I think in interviews for jobs like that I wish they would have a test period which last for about 30 minutes - 1 hour for you to draw, color, and do conceptual artwork in a room that has nothing but an art table or a room with nothing but a computer desk and computer with graphic design programs in em (no internet access) and right there and then they'll be able to see what kind of skills the person really have, and the portfolio will be used to see if the style he used reflects the artwork he has on his portfolio.
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Those still exist.

My instructors have already told me of some tests, in the graphic design business, that have you do the kerning and leading for a title. Or aligning a magazine layout. Something of that sort.

The thought of them make me nervous, but it goes to show how serious the company is about hiring someone.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    I actually took one of those tests at the paper that I work at when I intereviewed. I was going for the ad builder position, which I'm no longer in, thankfully.

I had to basically build an ad in pagemaker. It wasn't that difficult - and that's not pumping my skills - it was just build a box and put some text in it.

I think they just wanted to see if I could use the programs... :bash:

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    I took a test for a digital illustrator position at a movie poster design Co. in NYC awhile back. They wanted me to reproduce one of their past posters using the supplied photo ref. I did it just fine. Well enough for them to call me back twice to do it again with a reduced time limit. Wanting to see how fast I can work in a crunch. Again I nailed the image, no visable difference between my version and the final printed poster. done in less than 4 hours. Now the art director had me believing that once I pass their test they would hire the best candidate for the job for a full time staff gig. They had no intention of bringing anyone on full time even though it stated that in the job ad. I even asked if it was temp/ freelance or full time. The wanted to get the fastest person they could find, which eventually was me, and pay some shit hourly rate to a freelancer one or twice a week or when needed!!!! The Creative director's parting words to me.. " Let us know when your freelance schedule clears up." At the time, I had no freelance schedule, if I did I wouldn't have been wasting my time on these A--holes!

Overall I did that test 5 times in the three times I was in the office. I understand companies need proof that you can do the job but they need to be honest about their intentions. I got jerked around because the creative director couldn't make up his mind whether or not to bring in a full time guy that they'd have to pay a real salary to, or just milk some freelancer for pocket change. I hope this isn't the norm in the industry, that would suck. I was gonna send them a bill for wasting my time but decided against it. Funny though, now my freelance schedule is booked up which is nice.