My first oil painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first oil painting

This is my first attempt at oil painting have only played with watercolours a couple of times before this years ago. Its a study of a christmas tree bauble. Would be good to get some feed back, would be greatly appreciated. Really struggling with blending colours together. Plus the colour seems to be a lot duller after a bit of drying.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bouncelight past the shadow's terminator shouldn't be brighter than the midtones. Not to mention the terminator seems a little high up. Given the direction of the cast shadow, I suspect the issue might lie in the shape of the terminator.

Do 100 more (vary the objects and light source of course).

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexokinase View Post
    The bouncelight past the shadow's terminator shouldn't be brighter than the midtones. Not to mention the terminator seems a little high up. Given the direction of the cast shadow, I suspect the issue might lie in the shape of the terminator.
    That's not the terminator, that's the reflection of the edge of the table. Reflective surface behave differently than matte ones, and don't have the same sort of light/shadow pattern we're all used to. Totally matte surfaces are all diffuse reflection, totally reflective surfaces are all specular reflection, most surfaces are a combination of both to some degree.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.