30 second poses
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 30 second poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

30 second poses

Guys, my 30 second poses are crap. Is this not suggested for a beginner? I feel like I'm learning mistakes because I don't know anything about the human body but then I'm trying to rush to jot down something. My studies look NOTHING like human figures, ahaha.. Is it probably better to spend my time with longer poses until I'm less of a beginner?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 second drawings are for gesture, not anatomical accuracy. Relax, and get a feel for the pose and movement. Short poses are also to teach you how to be efficient in your drawing. Try to find the essential lines in the gesture and record them in as few strokes as possible.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clefairydoll View Post
    Is it probably better to spend my time with longer poses until I'm less of a beginner?
    Yes. You'll get faster as you get more comfortable then you can try challenging yourself with shorter times as you get more accurate.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Line of Action and Proportion are important get those first, details last; develop the big picture and then refine.

Here a a page from Preston Blair showing line of action and gesture. While it is a cartoon the same idea applies to a realistic human figure.

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every drawing starts with a 30 second gesture...actually it starts with the first stroke. It's sort of a waste of time to 1) do a bunch of 30 second gestures when you don't know or understand what they are for, how they relate or how to capture the gesture, and 2) do a bunch of long pose studies for the very same reasons.

I would recommend doing a few gesture studies of the same pose and then develop the one that feels best into a longer study - that is basically what drawing is about (as illustrated by dpaint's Preston Blair post). This will allow you to understand the connections between the two things better and improve both by understanding their relationship to each other.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clefairydoll View Post
    Guys, my 30 second poses are crap...
    Doesn't really matter, since the first several thousands will be like this, anyway.
    The point of croquis is to develop the sensibility for abstract, to capture the essence and will largely (if not completely) determine your creative development once you overgrow and abandon the academic form.
    As such it's probably the single most important item in the artistic education of an individual and it'd be a shame to deprive yourself of yourself, so to speak, by abandoning it.

Last edited by Cola73; October 28th, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw small stick figures and then fill them out. You'll get quicker and bigger with time, so don't worry.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.