Art: Animation Contest Ideas
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Animation Contest Ideas

Sitting here at work staring at the Animation Collaboration and Contest thread wondering when on Odin's Midgard it will open when I thought, Why dont we start some ideas up now! So when our glorious moderators decide it is a good idea to let us animators play with the big boys of CHOW COW and the others we have some things to start the ball rolling!

Also I am bored as Shit.

So this little thread will be Ideas for the Collab/Contest thread of:
    -Animated Shorts
    -Animation Pencil Tests (ex. different types of walks etc.)
    -The inbetween Challenge (saw this on another sight before an example being do a walk at 100fps)
    -Style tests (do an animation using only shades of blue, doing it in a certain animators style)
    -Character Design (not just for those painters these are for more cartoon characters!)
    -Layout Challenges
    -Storyboard Challenges
    -Different Visual Effects Challenges
    -Anything else you think would be neat to compete with!

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can play Chow, Cow etc right now. I understand about everything seeming to be painted here now days. They used to have challenges with more variety like the super stylised challenge http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...8-Troll-VOTING
    and there was a vector challenge with more cartoon stuff http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...Only-Challenge!
    I like the idea of having an animation challenge though. Why limit it to just one thing tho. Maybe it can be weekly, or every other week depending on what the topic is, but every week something different. For example one week might be a short Halloween themed animatic involving a bunny and a sack, while the next week is character design of a whiny warthog, or pencil tests working with elements etc etc. Anyway I support this idea and I would love to play!

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well then fine! I shall run my own you sillies who only look and don’t give a damn!

Let’s get some character!

Give me a protagonist! Your main character! Tell me what it is, what is its back story and what it wants! (Try and make your character animatable, I am looking for a model sheet- I am not looking for the concept art of a painting God)

Whoever we decide has the coolest protagonist stays in for the next competition and helps dictate the rest of the story! My idea is we slowly build an animation by having contests for each piece! I don’t know where I am going from there!

JOIN ME ON THIS ADVENTURE!
    Deadline 1 week from now - Monday November 5th (Remember Remember this date!) If I don’t get any hits from my fellow animators I shall be sorely disappointed in this forum and just live in the others and be surly and unresponsive here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcky Marq View Post
    Well then fine! I shall run my own you sillies who only look and don’t give a damn!

JOIN ME ON THIS ADVENTURE!
    Deadline 1 week from now - Monday November 5th (Remember Remember this date!) If I don’t get any hits from my fellow animators I shall be sorely disappointed in this forum and just live in the others and be surly and unresponsive here.
    I think thats very likely to happen atm. The forums have been kinda slow since the downtime and the animation forum doesn't get that much posts anyhow.
    And most of the posters seem to only care about their own shit. If I had a guess there is about 5 regular posters here who comment on threads that arent their own. Btw what are these other animation forums, if you dont mind, I only found 2 that have places where people try to get better and I LOVE to know of more!
    Also that doesnt sound like much of a challenge, it sounds like you want an idea for your project and a free character design =/. Im not saying that was your intention but you really made it sound that way.

“To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My project is already thoroughly underway, I already have my degree in animation, I really dont need help with character conception and design. This is purely for fun and to get a spark lit under the butts of these lazy non posting animators. I am trying to help build a community here not discourage collaboration.

My extended idea for the contest
    Winner of the protagonist ends up choosing the genre (based on character design)
    Winner of my next contest Antagonist (decides major plot twist or aid in the story arc)
    From there we may do secondary characters (Winner gets to decide length)
    After that I was thinking storyboarding "Storyboard the first 30 seconds" (Winner gets a bigger pull in next competitions winner)
    Another 30 Seconds (Same as above)
    Repeat until we reach the end
    Then I dont have much else from there. But it would be a collaborative project with each winner of each contest helping choose a major part of a group story.

Animation is about working with your peers to create something wonderful, it isnt about stealing characters and who by themselves can make the best, it is a group effort, I was just hoping to get a nice community growing in here.

This seems to be mainly a forum for "Is this the right path, am I picking the right school?" I was hoping to help people explore ideas and try their hand at different parts of animation if they were curious about it. All skill levels would be accpeted for every contest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should start a thread in the contest section, so people who are looking for contests are more likely to see it, rather then people looking for answers to their questions.

My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Sitting here at work staring at the Animation Collaboration and Contest thread wondering when on Odin's Midgard it will open" the first thing I said in this forum. It isn't open. So I cant post it in there or I would and this is a discussion board as well as questions and answers. If you dont wish to participate you dont have to quite frankly I dont give a damn what you do. Thank you for your comments and inquiries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marky, Wingal!
    Um what?

Sounds interesting Marky but seems you've got plan laid out going into the far future.
    How about something people a can jump in out out of a bit easier each round.
    More like the CHOWS you mentioned. Rather than an ongoing multi layered project.
    If an ongoing project howabout something like an AniJam?

maybe a contest each week decides which animations goes into the the final Jam.

So a theme like a red frisbee entering from the right leaving at left with "X" theme. Maybe that's the constant (or something) and each week(2weeks) the X variable is Changed. so its Frisbee and Power then Frisbee and Fire, Frisbee prehistoric, Frisbee and mind games etc etc..

That way folks get a new theme and Somebody (a graduate professional maybe) might be able to string the winners into one piece at the end of the year.
    and people can get on and off with some ease.

yaknowwhatimean?

just thorowin it out there...

Members who have read this thread: 2