Thread: Fantasy Wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great! the only thing is I feel my eye gets a little lost at the top of the page... The hand holding the blade kinda of shoots me off to the side, if that was angled more towards the power sphere in the middle it may help direct the eye more. Also I am not sure what your main point is, via color it is the sphere but everything seems to be pointing at the snakes head. Just something to consider. Also I do realize it is currently not colored but the figure in the sphere was hard to noice the first time I viewed this, it took a double take to notice him. It may read better in color but once again very good job there are a few notes from my first glance.

Hope it Helps!

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcky Marq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think this is that big of a deal but I immediately see an accidental face, (it looks like a birds face).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3ureka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...The dude in the magic sphere could have been better placed. I sorta did a double take when I saw the picture because it took me a second to parse him as a person and not....another appendage, if you get my drift.

That said, once I got my brain out of the gutter, I really like this picture - very dynamic and the design on the dragon is really unique. I do think that there is something weird going on with the hand holding the dagger and the arm it's attached to - the other arm would suggest that there should be a rather long and developed forearm but the placement of the dagger arm doesn't seem to leave room for the upper arm, even if you allow for foreshortening.

I think color will help this picture a lot, in terms of focal points, like Marcky Marq said. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What you need here is enhance the contrast a lot. Make the sky a darkish midtone, the dragon mostly low key, and the wizard in the force bubble high key.

What that will do in this particular case is consolidate the values into big, readable blocks. You've got your values all over the place; the dragon, the sky, the wizard all have lots of white in them, and a lot of texture too. That breaks the value composition down into a jumble, not unlike a camoflage pattern, making everything hard to see. What you really want in a dramatic piece is the opposite of camoflage; you want clarity.

Name:  Senpen_Battle.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  84.1 KB

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses everyone, the feedback was great! I'll make some more adjustments and post back up here again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hoping to get feedback

Hoping to get any feedback I can on this one before I call it finished. Thanks.

Name:  Lizard.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  457.0 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Senpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's a very beautifull piece, I really like the texture and colors, specially about the monster !
    I would say there is a problem about readibility... Eyes catch the head of the monster first, and the human mage at the very end... I feel the texture treatment was different for him, making the result flat. I understand the lighting bubble is supposed to illuminate a lot the human, and we are looking through a lighting barrier but the light doesn't feel coming from the surrounding.
    The bubble border are super white but we still can look through it like it is made of glasse... maybe create some distortion to reinforce the lighting effect and contrast ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's good stuff happening here.

I think repainting some edges will really help guide the eye. You should soften some edges on the creature. Right now they're all pretty crisp, which is hurting the sense of scale and movement through the picture. The tail, for instance, could completely lose its edges with the smoke and distance instead of being razor sharp.

The lightning could be more interesting with variation in line thickness. The brushstamped chain is hurting you, and I'm not a fan of how it just almost kisses the edge of the picture. The clouds could maybe use some polish.

I think you did a nice job on the creature, just some other elements aren't up to that same standard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AldoKatayanagi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much to add to the previous comments. I like it in general - the snake dragon is very cool and well done - but one or two things stood out to me.

The figure in the globe looks odd somehow. I cant figure out if there are problems with the legs or if it's something more general to the pose. I also think you could get away with more light on the upper edges of the dragon because the sky behind it is so bright, though that's probably personal preference so feel free to ignore me if you disagree.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Your help was very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

I posted the first image a little while ago, and then after the feedback I recieved I made some changes with the second one. Any crits are always welcome. Thank you!

Name:  Lizard.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  457.0 KB

Name:  Battle.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  443.5 KB

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Senpen, I've merged all these threads, I think it's easier for people to crit if they can see the whole history of a piece in one place.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great! Fantastic, dynamic, and the design of the dragon is best of all. This is the most refreshing unique dragon design I have seen in a while. Going to see your portfolio now for more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of nice changes to a cool piece. I spent some time looking between the two pics. You even tweaked one of the lightning bolts by the tail. I kinda liked the dirt/rust on the balls of the flail - it seems like you cleaned up the flail a bit on the final pic and removed some of the rust. But that's just a personal thing. Regretfully, I don't have any suggestions. It's a great piece to look at!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a wonderful piece. I really like the second colour version with more subdued lights. My only crit is regarding composition. For me the wizard's pose is somehow too calm and still to provide any sense of tension between him and the dragon. It's like the dragon would be trying to open an energy egg to eat the dead wizard inside. Also, the dragon's head drives me to the right away from the mage.

Great work!!

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.