Art: Prospective Student: Matt Kopeck
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prospective Student: Matt Kopeck

Hey CA, long time fan, first time poster..

My name's Matt Kopeck, I'm 27, and I just got out of the Navy. I've always drawn since I was little, but about a year and a half ago is when I really started to study and practice every day. I'm applying to around 10 schools for Fall 2013, particularly SVA and Ringling are the ones I like most, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my chances, strengths, weaknesses, et cetera.. My goal as of now is to get into the illustration program. I've taken a few studio classes this last year at a community college in order to prep myself for art school.

Thanks in advance! - mk

Name:  paintings grouped 1.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  406.6 KBName:  studies 1.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  304.6 KBName:  studies 2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  394.3 KBName:  studies 3.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  337.9 KBName:  studies 4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  273.4 KBName:  studies 5.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  360.2 KBName:  studies 6.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  377.9 KBName:  watercolors grouped 1.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  334.5 KB

Last edited by matttwithonet; October 28th, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added info for CG/TAD portfolio review
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. I think the landscapes are the strongest pieces here. The figure in "Boy In Central Park" is very cool and quirky and interesting.

If you want to be an illustrator, though, I'd recommend you do a LOT more basic drawing with a pencil on paper. Work both from your imagination and from the live model (and go to a museum and draw there), for a couple hours every day....drawing really needs to become second-nature to you. I like your sense of color and paint-handling quite a bit, but right now you're sort of using those skills to cover for your somewhat shaky drawing ability, which is going to cause problems in the long run. I'd recommend you NOT directly copy photos for awhile...I think you've gotten enough of that already and you should focus more on observing and interpreting the forms.

You'd also do well to sign up for one or more drawing or painting classes so you can get some hands-on instruction...if you're in NYC, there are obviously a multitude to choose from. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the reply and the critique, and I'll most definitely take your advice on not drawing from pictures for a while. And I definitely need to get to more figure drawing sessions. Cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 1