female character, please comment....
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: female character, please comment....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

female character, please comment....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her armor is quite boxy. You could try to work on the shapes of the diffrent segments. In my opinion you could also connect the single segments more to each other as you did it in the knee area of the armor. For me right now it appears as if they were just glued on some kind of tight suit. The reflection in the bottom of her right leg comes along nicely aswell as the struckture that you gave the metal. you may tighten up the reflection of her left leg aswell. Furthermore the neck segment of the armor should reflect light in the shadow area of the face. All in all your weakest point in my opinion is your handeling of the shapes. Try to think more about how the body of the woman and the single Parts of her armor expand in 3D space. Hope that helps

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I'm going bit "yikes" over that metal crotch-plate, as the gap looks pretty uncomfortably (or cartoonishly) wide and straight, especially considering the realism of the face, seeing how women tend to have fat in the inner tigh and walk/stand/sit with legs closer to each other, and I just can't see that thing to not chafe.
    Name:  woman.JPG
Views: 8513
Size:  139.2 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with *Matelo. Considering that her shoulder plates appear to be quite thick, she'd have to have a really long neck -and very thin upper arms. So lower the head (a few pixels might be enough) and enlargen the attachment-area under her armpit a bit.

And; Breasts are mostly just fat, so while giving a womans chest more space than you'd give a man is good, a protruding metal bra-thingy is neither aero-dynamic nor practical in a fight (!!!). -In reality it would actually be quite painful to have them flop around inside of the armor. (In comparison to just pressing them against the body. -except if her boobs are really huge.) Just sayin'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id second the comment abt the body armour. Since you seem to be gonig for functional actual armour and not cheesecake fantasy "chainmail bra" armour. Have a look at actual female body armour, its shaped for women but it doesnt accentuate the boobs like that, theres o point apart from having them aestetically visible, which doesnt really make sense for a functional design like this.

The abdomen seem to be unarmored (the dark areas read as soft bits atm). It would be more believable to have proper armour plating there too. Perhaps have a look at some old armour sets to figure out how to get proper coverage while maintaining mobility? I like the design, and that you've actually got a female into something which looks like its supposed to actually protect her and not just make her look sexy, which is all too commonplace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from anatomy/armor issues already mentioned, keep an eye on the lighting. Her face has a lot more red in it than her armor. Should probably be closer to this or even more green:

Name:  5dame.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  56.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the textures and colors at play here! I with I knew how to get that look into my painting to avoid that plastic Photoshopped look that I get.

Something you might think about along with tweaking the posture and anatomy is the thickness and construction of the armor. As is, it's either paper thin, or she is. I would attempt to fix this by drawing a silhouette of the women, with a careful eye to proportion, and just laying it over the painting you have. Use the lasso tool to drag and transform the larger pieces of the painting into place before repainting them. Then think about where the armor would be thicker and really build up those part to make the shape of your character a little more interesting, and obscure the human contours just a little more.

Either that, or just paint on a vacant robot head and ignore everything everyone has said. That would be a cool fix too!

You're off to a wonderful start! Your painting technique is impressive, a little more time with the pencil before the digital paint and you would be a force of nature!

It is really simple not to be rude.

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

www.ktino.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Her head is growing from her left shoulder.

Did you do a structural drawing of the figure without the armor, prior to painting? Did you do a structural drawing of the armor?

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My first reaction was to cover my boobs. Armour isn't there to lever/squeeze parts of the body into.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.