Young Wizard
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Young Wizard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Young Wizard

Here is a first pencil draft of a character design for a comic that I am begining to write. It's the first draft of the main character. I am looking for critique of the general drawing before I start making model sheets and storyboards of him and the other characters. He is a young man who is gradually learning to be a wizard with a stolen spellbook (that he keeps hidden in his bag) while hiding from the actual owners of the book in question.

Name:  MODSHEETWIZ.jpeg
Views: 958
Size:  172.2 KB

-Sacha Ravenda

Sketchbook

DeviantArt

Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are his sleeves supposed to be different from each other (the other long and wide, the other short and not so wide)? Also the buckle and the bag seem to be going totally different directions which just looks off, and the hem of the robe looks pretty unreferenced. Overall to my eye the designs is pretty plain and not really that of a guy "on the run", though admittedly I don't know in what sort of run he is in or where (supplies, weather, mode of transportation) or if this is the only costume he's wearing (as in someone who's running from people looking specifically him probably wouldn't wear the same clothes all the time, unless that robe is the basic clothes everyone wears) and I do wonder a bit what exactly is keeping his collar up like that (aside willing suspension of disbelief).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I agree with you about the sleeves and the buckle. I'll correct those to make a new version with a reworked costume. (But I will probably leave the collar even if it's unrealistic )

Thank you for your advice

-Sacha Ravenda

Sketchbook

DeviantArt

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My question is he attending a wizarding school, how come he already has wizarding garb? If he has stolen the book from wizards what was his profession before and what would he be wearing then. My first thought from the title and the image without reading the description is "Oh it is a boy studying magic at an institution" not "Oh he is a rogue wizard learning on his own." as for the collar I think it is alright for the anime kind of style you are going for, it fits the genre but it flows into the clothing a little strange and I do agree a lot with Tinybird that if he is on the run maybe he wouldn't wear such obvious clothing. I would say throw up some style ideas, some rough action poses to gives us a feel for the comic in general. Let us see the enviorment he is in. Obviously it is in a fanstasy world so we may both be wrong and this is the general clothing of everyone.

Hope this Helps!

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcky Marq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    His head seems somewhat small for all that robe.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, he has a tiny, tiny, tiny head.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously tiny. Here, I both scaled the head and transformed it so that his hair/cranium aren't so hugely oversized.

Name:  sarc-PO.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  117.9 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THank you very much for all your replies everyone. Especially Elwell for taking the time to make me a paintover
    This head problem seems to be recurring when I draw from imagination. I will try extra hard to get it right next time.
    As for the story, I have a geenral outiline of it in my head right now but I will start writing it this weekend to try and work ot the stuff I'm not sure about. I just felt like getting some opinions of the character before. I will work the things mentionned about the costume as well depending on a few story elements I need to work out, but I agree that, in the direction I was planning on heading, the wizardish costume might be to early into the story.
    I will post a new version taking into consideration your comments shortly.

-Sacha Ravenda

Sketchbook

DeviantArt

Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
    This head problem seems to be recurring when I draw from imagination. I will try extra hard to get it right next time.
    Two things you can do:
    - Always draw the whole body, even the parts that people won't be seeing.
    - After you've drawn the thing from your imagination, check it against reference. Especially if you already have an idea of the mistakes you tend to make.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a new version:
    I made the character look a bit younger and tried to correct the head problem. I made his costume less extravagant conscidering Tinybird and Marky Marq's comments since he technially isn't a wizard yet and it might fit better so start him off with a more civilian fantasy'ish costume.

Name:  wiz2.jpeg
Views: 247
Size:  95.8 KB

I will post some other characters and environments as well as mode poses as I make them, as well as some comic pages after i'm done with the story.

Last edited by Sarc; November 8th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
    -Sacha Ravenda

Sketchbook

DeviantArt

Blog

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Again the head is a bit too small and that neck is miles too long. Usually breeches like that finish just below the knee and the crotch a bit higher. At the moment it looks like he magically farted to fill them with gas. Research more on old garb.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good improvement, just throwing some ideas out there but the book could be moving inside its case/ glowing therefore increasing the chance of him getting caught which would add more.. 'tension' ( I probably thought of this because I watched Jumanji the other day). His left arm/ hand could be on the case too, showing hes really holding onto it. Just work more on your anatomy before you fully go ahead with this project, I'll save you a lot of time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.