Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The importance of visual memory

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasi View Post
    But by making accurate marks you need to use memory
    Drawing is a lot more about what you know, and a lot less about what you see...
    Grinnikend door het leven...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Drawing is a lot more about what you know, and a lot less about what you see...
    Yes, and I agree

When drawing from observation, there is numerous ways to do that, right?
    You can copy what you see, you can translate what you see...
    This short memory drawing that I'm talking about can be a way to approach drawing from life, imo.
    One procedure I use goes like this:
    loosely draw the big shapes of the subject and try to get the proportions approximately right, this part is more about measuring.
    Think of the different forms as simple geometrical forms and feel the form as you draw through the form.
    After doing this too steps you can look at the subject with more ease and compare with the drawing (having some marks on the paper to compare helps visualization). Feel the proportions and relationships of the subject and retain a portion of that visual information in your brain. Next, visualize and translate that information into the paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasi View Post
    I think the problem is because I showed one of my drawings instead of just talking about the subject, in some way I made the thread personal... but this is not about me..
    Given the topic, most would look at your art regardless if you posted it here or not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, after reading it again I understand. What I was looking for is for people to discuss this practice, but it turned in other thing, and that's on me..

But I really think that if you train to retain portions if visual information from the subject, and try to translate it into the paper, its going to be a great practice.
    It should even help in visualizing on the paper what you want to draw from imagination.

Edit: What I think is that people who have a good short term memory can copy exactly what they see into the paper, with little to no training. That's not art, it's just copying like a machine.
    I don't think there is any really great young artist. I don't think you are born with it and that theres no hope for the rest.
    Most importantly, I know you can improve if you PRACTICE HARD. Just to make this more clear...

There are many artists that talk about this short term visual memory...In one of the interviews that Bobby Chiu did, one of the artists talked about it. (I have to find who was it)
    Last edited by pegasi; October 24th, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    PRACTICE.

There is no such thing as mystical-magical-automatic talent. The "drawers" are the people who actually draw. The "drawer-nots" are the people who sigh wistfully and wish they could draw while waiting for someone to hand them the magickal key to drawing.

(And let's not derail this thread with blather about savants who can copy pictures from memory or recite the entire phone book after glancing at it, we all know that's not applicable to the practical question of learning how to draw.)
    there is at least a handful of people on here that started off drawing like shit and about a year and 100 drawings later there at a pro level what would you call that?
    Last edited by creeptool; October 24th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    there is at least a handful of people on here that started off drawing like shit and about a year and 100 drawings later there at a pro level what would you call that?
    That's called practice, and probably more than 100 drawings were done to achieve that level, believe me. The people I've seen who have made stupendous progress in little time invariably worked their asses off during that time, AND were focused on learning the important stuff (in other words, not doodling their favorite subjects over and over, but tackling their weaknesses head on.) We're talking all day, every day, hardcore-style practice.

Show me someone who only made 100 drawings in a year and didn't try very hard and somehow advanced from beginner to pro in that time.

I think the problem is because I showed one of my drawings instead of just talking about the subject, in some way I made the thread personal... but this is not about me..
    Nah, the only problem is that quote at the end, really. It's an instant rant-trigger around here.

Thanks
    That's called practice, and probably more than 100 drawings were done to achieve that level, believe me. The people I've seen who have made stupendous progress in little time invariably worked their asses off during that time, AND were focused on learning the important stuff (in other words, not doodling their favorite subjects over and over, but tackling their weaknesses head on.) We're talking all day, every day, hardcore-style practice.

Show me someone who only made 100 drawings in a year and didn't try very hard and somehow advanced from beginner to pro in that time.

Nah, the only problem is that quote at the end, really. It's an instant rant-trigger around here.
    Miles' sketchbook i know he did more then a 100 drawings but it just seems like the guy never had a learning curve even when he started drawing digitally i just don't see the hard work flow in his sketch book for how fast and how much he improved.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Who is Miles, and how do you know he didn't do a lot of work that wasn't posted in his sketchbook? Or that he wasn't drawing before he even started a sketchbook? People don't necessarily post everything they've ever done in their CA sketchbook, by a long shot.

I can't gauge this anyway without a link...

Vinicam is offline Five percent inspiration and ninety five percent transpiration.
    Thanks
    Yeah, Miles show some amazing progress...

I don't believe in talent as people say, "born with the thing", but I believe some people learn faster than others... We can see this in all fields. I think the hability to see what you're doing wrong or what you should do to correct may be the "talent" some people have and others need don't, needing someone to point it out or take more time to solve it.
    All the examples I know of people who started drawing really good in a short amount of time did tons of drawings a day, but all of them know what they did wrong and what to do to resolve it, then it's just about having the time and will to practice.
    Also, Miles and Algenpfleger, pardon if I'm making a mistake here, made some impossible quantities of drawings per day for people who work. I remember lookin at Algen's sketchbook to see that he made more than 10 pages a day of heads at various angles, over and over again, for more than a week... And them he did bodies... And them arms... etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    What Queen said. People definitely don't post everything they doodle out. Especially not something traditional because many don't have scanners, or they just don't want to spend the large amount of time prepping and getting everything ready to put into the SB.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Who is Miles, and how do you know he didn't do a lot of work that wasn't posted in his sketchbook? Or that he wasn't drawing before he even started a sketchbook? People don't necessarily post everything they've ever done in their CA sketchbook, by a long shot.

I can't gauge this anyway without a link...
    miles, sketch book link...http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...s-sketchbook-D

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinicam View Post
    Yeah, Miles show some amazing progress...

I don't believe in talent as people say, "born with the thing", but I believe some people learn faster than others... We can see this in all fields. I think the hability to see what you're doing wrong or what you should do to correct may be the "talent" some people have and others need don't, needing someone to point it out or take more time to solve it.
    All the examples I know of people who started drawing really good in a short amount of time did tons of drawings a day, but all of them know what they did wrong and what to do to resolve it, then it's just about having the time and will to practice.
    Also, Miles and Algenpfleger, pardon if I'm making a mistake here, made some impossible quantities of drawings per day for people who work. I remember lookin at Algen's sketchbook to see that he made more than 10 pages a day of heads at various angles, over and over again, for more than a week... And them he did bodies... And them arms... etc.
    i agree with what your saying....some people just get it it clicks for them...miles never seem to hit a wall.
    Last edited by creeptool; October 24th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast