Art: Self portrait, crits extra welcome!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Self portrait, crits extra welcome!

Hullo, here is a self portrait I recently finished, and I would love any crits you guys can offer. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's very nice but the eyes appear to be a tad too big. Also, not as noticeable but you should give the ear a bit more attention. Other than that, I think its very good.

Thanks
    You should get rid of the sharp edges on those shadows to the right of the face-their value is too harsh. It helps to squint alot in the process. Also, the lips look a bit small in proportion to the rest of the features. The left side of the face is looking very nice.

Thanks
    This is a pretty good drawing, however from what I can tell, you might have made a little mistake...

A very common mistake with many portraits is that people tend to make the area from the top of the eyebrow to the bottom of the nose too long. This also usually translates into making the eyes larger than they are too. (Just as Bad Obsession mentioned)

All faces are different (goes without saying) and I don't claim to know what you look like, however I think it would be a good idea to go back and look at that length again.

Daniel Greene teaches portraiture based constructing the head out of 3 different lengths. These lengths are from the bottom of the hairline to the top of the eyebrows, from the top of the eyebrows to the bottom of the nose, and the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin.

Something you'll usually find is that the length from the top of the eyebrows to the bottom of the nose and the nose to the chin are pretty equal. (check it out for yourself) Although faces vary. Your best bet is to sit down and compare the lengths and widths of your face to make sure that they synch up with your drawing.

This is the best advice I can offer without knowing what you look like to be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with the likeness.

edit- I just realized I told you to basically redraw the entire thing. I don't think that's 100% necessary, especially because it looks like this was done in your sketchbook. This type of stuff might be better to keep in mind for your next portrait. But if you want to make that drastic of changes by all means no one's going to stop you.

Last edited by Gory; June 19th, 2004 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your helpful comments. I think the likeness is very good, but looking closer the proportions are a bit off. I will definitely use your tips on my next one, and hope it turns out more accurate. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.