Thanks

Monitor Callibrator?

I'm currently looking into callibrating my monitor so that i can get WYSIWYG. Been facing a lot of problem where i can get a good colour on my computer but when the other party see it, i was a nightmare.

I'm looking forward to get a hardware callibrator mostly are Gretag MacBeth Eye-One Display or ColorVision Spyder. I need some advice on these product. Is there any other brand that you can recommend? Which on is recommended?

Mostly, I use photoshop and illustrator. And sometimes do web work as well. And currently learning 3D. I'm also using dual monitors setup.

My questions are

1. Which is the recommended products to go for? Need some advice

2. Can i callibrate both my monitor?

3. Do you feel like callibrating monitor is just a waste of time?

Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Kylekwan,

Unfortuntately I don´t know the brands you´re naming so I can´t give you advice towards them. I personally find it important to know what you want to achieve. Is it calibrating for web performance, for games/3D or for printing? Every of this fields needs some special care.

The easiest is web performance. Due to the nature that nearly every monitor has another view on it you just need a medium calibration. The monitor shoudn´t be too old and you can first the calibration software that every good monitor should have so you can have a somehow average calibration that most monitors can work with. A hardware calibration isn´t necessarily important.

For games and 3D it´s quite important to have this average calibration on every of your firms monitors. There secondary hardware tools like the ones you mentioned are important to create an overall reasonable pic on all your working monitors. Of course you can´t know what monitor the gamer you´re selling the game too has but you can have an above average performance.

For printing it´s more difficult. Ideally you would have the same picture on your monitor looking as the stuff you´re printing. This works with hardware calibrated monitors and ICC-profiles that can give a passable colour-management. Especially Photoshop has good tools for colou calibration. If you want to do it professionally you have to get an approbiate monitor. I personally prefer Barco monitors but Eizo or LaCie have reasonable monitors too. They are normally sold with fitting calibration tools and are in price classes high above the normal stuff (e.g. my Barco Personal Calibrator - may god bless it - did cost here about 3300 Euro).

Hope this could help a bit.

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

For you info, i'm mostly indulge in print graphics. Web and 3D would be quite new to me.

I'm trying to match what i design on my workstation with the workstation on my supplier side. I have been having a lot of colour variation problem with them which at the end, have to sit on their workstation to get the correct colour.

In order for me to reduce much of this hassle, i tot that it would be great if i just get a hardware callibrator for me to fix my monitor colour.

I'm buying this product on my own and i'm on intermediate level. And as for you recommendation, getting an upper end monitor will be on my next budget list for sure.

Hopefully a hardware callibrator will currently fix my problem. This is the product that i'm looking at Eye-One Display and Spyder .

Conceptartian, please advice.

Thanks
    Hi Kyle,

from the data of the products the EyeOne seems to me the better product. Be assured to exchange with your suppliers the ICC-profiles so you both work on the same profile and I think most of your problems will be solved on this way.

Fipse

Thanks
    fipse,

i found out from them the pricing of both product. Even though EyeOne is $249 and Spyder is $169.

Eventually after conversion to my country currency which currently is US$1.00 = RM 3.80, I can get Spyder for US$169 but I can only get EyeOne for RM 2400.00 which is equal to US$630.00 in my country. There is a vass difference in pricing for EyeOne. It really surprise me!

If in this situation, i guess i should buy spyder because of budget wise.

I was thinking bout buying online, but worry bout the warranty issue if anything wrong with that unit. I'm from Malaysia you see...

Thanks
    Anyone else care for other inputs?

thanks

Thanks
    I haven't wasted money on calabration software. I found a link to a website to do all my adjusting.

monitor calibration

Thanks
    Hi eric,

for me working as a professional pixelpusher the hardware-calibration is most important. I constantly need a neutral surrounding to get the best out of the communication with printing- and plot-studios with or without ICC-profiles. The advantage of a software/hardware caliration is the constant check of the monitors parameters.

But for "normal" use a calibration like the one on the website is more than adequate. I will use this at my home monitor where I haven´t got the demands I have here at work. It´s really good.

Fipse