7 deadly sins and virtues
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7 deadly sins and virtues

This is my seven deadly sins project Iím doing for my negotiated at university can you guess let me know what you think of them and if you think there aspects that need changing. But do keep in mind these are the 1st draught so i will be changing the positioning and the body types for the finals. Iím just working out the outfits in these pictures.

thanks x
    Name:  Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 16.17.52.png
Views: 456
Size:  1.00 MBName:  Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 16.21.08.png
Views: 371
Size:  1.01 MBName:  Screen Shot 2012-10-18 at 13.43.17.png
Views: 390
Size:  1.17 MBName:  Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 16.08.05.png
Views: 343
Size:  1,007.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do you really have to post a full screenshot with all the layers, swatches and all that? All we need is the image of the character.
    Which brings me to another point, these are bit overdone for first drafts or even costume designing, especially considering I have absolutely no idea what sins or virtues these characters are supposed to represent (which I think is more important than drawing every single scale in a guys armor). It doesn't really bode well that you seem to be using the same body base to all the characters (at least the guys), because I'm just getting the feel that you're not putting much thought to the bodytype or pose of the characters (as in will all the sins and virtues be beefy guys and will that relate to their chosen aspect at all).

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, definitely agreeing with TinyBird on this. If this is your first draft, you should really be trying to convey the entire idea rather than getting mired in the small details. Right now it's more important to get the general shapes, colors, postures, moods, and whatever else down rather than worrying about the little stuff.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the last two are tempers, who ive decide will be going through tasks based around each sin, i have got other rough sketches but this is more of a finalised rough final, as im wanting to keep the images as working images. so if you were to crate them in real life they would work, so i needed to go into a bit of detail.

i just want to see what people though about their looks and ive had a few people saying that the two dude who is meant to be wrath (which is associated with Lucifer) doesn't seem to portray that sin enough. these body shapes aren't the final ones as once ive sorted out their weapons ill be drawing them out properly. this was just a little exercise to see how the whole out fit would fit together and what people thought about them. besides this didn't take me too long to do.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by charlottefranks View Post
    these are the 1st draught
    i have got other rough sketches but this is more of a finalised rough final
    this was just a little exercise
    Uhhh... yeah I have no idea exactly what these things are supposed to be in the end, but that doesn't really change that the designs are pretty impossible to recognize. Like if the layers are right and the last dude is patience, I can see how the ninja look goes with patience, but overall ninjas these days (especially in popular culture) tend to be associated with quick attacks and swiftness, which in its own way can be seen to be the opposite of patience and self-control, same as hawks/eagles, I don't think the first thing people think about those is patience. Where as something like, hmmm, a dude with really thick armor who can withstand all attacks without needing to attack back (and instead wait that the opponent tires himself) and have steady/heavy forms could work being more recognizable visually.

Also if these are not final bodyshapes, then what's the point of doing these to see how the suit works together if the suits have to be changed anyway to fit the different bodytypes?

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good point about the patient armour, these bodies will just be the base layer and when they gain a virtue their armour will change accordingly.

But all bodies move and bend in the same way if i can get the workings right on this model then they can be applied to any model, i use this stance as it gives you perspective on both sides of the joins so i can see how they will be frontal as well as on the side. as its not every day im drawing a more traditional armour so by doing this im getting used to the workings. Besides my project at the moment keeps changing and developing so once ive decided on a final look or personality then i will draw them out again on the right body.

im studying at uni so i don't mind the extra work as it shows development and will gain me extra marks etc its nothing i cant handle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good point about the patient armour, these bodies will just be the base layer and when they gain a virtue their armour will change accordingly.

But all bodies move and bend in the same way if i can get the workings right on this model then they can be applied to any model, i use this stance as it gives you perspective on both sides of the joins so i can see how they will be frontal as well as on the side. as its not every day im drawing a more traditional armour so by doing this im getting used to the workings. Besides my project at the moment keeps changing and developing so once ive decided on a final look or personality then i will draw them out again on the right body.

im studying at uni so i don't mind the extra work as it shows development and will gain me extra marks etc its nothing i cant handle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But all bodies move and bend in the same way if i can get the workings right on this model then they can be applied to any model,
    Well yes, but you can't necessarily apply the same armor to a beefy athletic guy and an obese guy (or an anorexically thin guy) and have them look equally visually good, and the seven sins include Greed, Gluttony and Sloth, all which have the potential to have a fat character. In the same, if any of the guys has a bad posture (like Sloth, for example), an armor wouldn't necessarily allow that or make it look good. But sacrificing visual cues like mentioned can impair the recognizably of the character, even if it keeps the costumes easier to apply.
    In general these are just things I'd consider before, rather than after designing the costumes.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.