Sacred Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sacred Sketchbook

Hello all. Lately I've been struggling to drawing on my sketchbook. It's not a motivation problem at all nor is it a "creative block"(whatever that means). But I've found myself to be much more creative and loose when I'm making those back of the envelop drawings. For some reason the. sketchbook has become this sacred place and it's very intimidating. I've been drawing for maybe a while and I haven't had this problem since visual arts in high school where we were graded on our sketchbooks.
    I've filled sketchbook before, I'm not sure where this is coming from. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm felling quite anxious, as if i was going to have to present my sb to some imaginary client.

I guess it's a mindset issue? When I'm drawing outside my sketchbook my thoughts usually are " hmm what will I draw today? Pirate-ninja-knights with jetpacks!! Fuck ye". However my sketchbook has become a classroom type environment where I'm so focused on studying and improving. Im not sure why this fun, adventurous spirit is lost the moment I open a bound book.

Last edited by Saraiva; November 17th, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried buying a really cheap and crappy doodlebook? Like those school notebooks that have lines etc?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Have you tried buying a really cheap and crappy doodlebook? Like those school notebooks that have lines etc?
    I have a small, size A5 clipboard, with pieces of scrap printer paper. It also works well to counter that sense of wasting expensive paper. :-)

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use copy-printer paper that I carry around. NOTHING is cheaper then that haha.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just get whatever is on sale and toned ones so I don't have to stare at all that white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is just a matter of getting used to it. There was a time when I reserved my sketchbook for those rare precious sketches; it remained mostly empty. School forced me to use heavy bound hardcover books, and didn't even allow me to tear anything out. This felt uncomfortable for a couple of weeks, and then it got the status of the back of an envelope...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always use print paper for serious creative work. I guess that´s normal then.

I have a big hand-made sketchbook which I consecrated from the start as "The Place to Study Anatomy". It works but took me 2 years to fill half of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Spill something on it. Then it'll be messed up and you'll have to use it up or toss it... Or maybe scribble some marks on all the pages, so they're no longer new and unspoiled and precious.

Actually, I second the suggestions of cheap-ass sketchbooks (I use those really cheap-ass unlined memo pads from the stationery store for thumbnails and rough doodles... The pads fall apart when you're halfway through, so it's impossible to be precious.) And I was also going to suggest copy paper on a clipboard. I used that as my "sketchbook" for years. The nice thing about that is you can organize the sketches however you want in folders later, or throw out the garbage ones. Plus it's a perpetual sketchbook - just keep adding pages!

You could also stick plain copy paper in a binder... Again, perpetual sketchbook with removable pages. Don't like something? Take it out! Filling up too many pages with garbage? No problem, add more pages!

Or you could do what I do and have a big stack of identical sketchbooks in stock. There's no point in being precious with a sketchbook when you know there's a dozen more exactly like it sitting in the corner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraiva View Post
    Hello all. Lately I've been struggling at drawing on my sketchbook. It's not a motivation problem at all nor is it a "creative block"(whatever that means). But I've found myself to be much more creative and loose when I'm making those back of the envelop drawings. For some reason the. sketchbook has become this sacred place and it's very intimidating. I've been drawing for maybe 8 years and I haven't had this problem since ap visual arts in high school where we were graded on our sketchbooks.
    I've filled a bunch without much of a hassle, I'm not sure where this is coming from. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm felling quite anxious, as if i was going to have to present my sb to some imaginary client.

I guess it's a mindset issue? When I'm drawing outside my sketchbook my thoughts usually are " hmm what will I draw today? Pirate-ninja-knights with jetpacks!! Fuck ye". However my sketchbook has become a classroom type environment where I'm so focused on studying and improving. Im not sure why this fun, adventurous spirit is lost the moment I open a bound book.
    at thr end of the day its just paper...

the most wasteful thing you can do is not to draw in your sketchbook...if your sketchbook could talk it would say feed me your art!!! lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeptool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the best pieces of wisdom I remember is

"Your sketchbook is a personal workbook. It's to figure out problems you're having."
    That's why I stopped caring about sketchbook brand, if I mess it up, or if my drawings are pretty so people can sift through my book.

Sketches are for studies, they're to get ideas out. It's ok to have sketchbooks full of crap. It's ok to have lots of mistakes in them. It's ok to write notes, poetry, random thoughts, your grocery list and other babble in your sketchbook.

You however, may not want to write personal information and your diary in it - if you intend to show your crap to everyone else/ or lose it - but usually it's just for the latter - if you lose it and don't want your diary/sketchbook to talk about the wild orgy you had at 2 am with the cow and the lamp post.

Not all your sketchbooks are meant to be shown, so don't worry about it. Just show off the pieces you like, so just draw.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 23rd, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Vinicam is offline Five percent inspiration and ninety five percent transpiration. Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the reason of this is because we see lots of pro artists doing amazing stuff in their sketchbooks, that we want to use it only when super inspired or with a great idea... I have a moleskine I use for everything, but I have a cheaper sketchbook that I use for study, instead of sketching.
    The only thing I do now is to warm up before using the moleskine, just so I don't waste a page with an absolutly crap drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinicam View Post
    The only thing I do now is to warm up before using the moleskine, just so I don't waste a page with an absolutly crap drawing...
    There's no such thing as "wasting" a page in a sketchbook as long as you're putting something in it...

(Though I confess I also have regular-everyday-sketchbooks that get filled up quickly and fancy-schmancy sketchbooks for "finished" stuff that get filled up slowly...)

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You however, may not want to write personal information and your diary in it - if you intend to show your crap to everyone else/ or lose it - but usually it's just for the latter - if you lose it and don't want your diary/sketchbook to talk about the wild orgy you had at 2 am with the cow and the lamp post.
    Kinda want to do this now just to see what people would say...

MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've never understood this ridiculous "sketchbook-as-object" cult. Just fucking draw in it. If you happen to be the sort of person who naturally produces beautiful art object sketchbooks, goody for you. If not, who cares?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinicam View Post
    I think the reason of this is because we see lots of pro artists doing amazing stuff in their sketchbooks, that we want to use it only when super inspired or with a great idea... I have a moleskine I use for everything, but I have a cheaper sketchbook that I use for study, instead of sketching.
    Don't confuse posting with the public vs what artists draw.

Let's look at some of Alphonse Mucha's sketchbooks.

http://www.4ojos.com/blog/imagenes/o...ketchbooks.jpg

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Don't confuse posting with the public vs what artists draw.

Let's look at some of Alphonse Mucha's sketchbooks.
    Good start, dude. Continue like that and you may be a good artist someday.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use 110lb card stock for all of my drawings including my scribbles. Its better than most of the sketchbooks I've ever had, and it's a fraction of the price.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Georgia-Pa...heets/15904276

Vinicam is offline Five percent inspiration and ninety five percent transpiration. Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    There's no such thing as "wasting" a page in a sketchbook as long as you're putting something in it...

(Though I confess I also have regular-everyday-sketchbooks that get filled up quickly and fancy-schmancy sketchbooks for "finished" stuff that get filled up slowly...)
    That's what I'm talking about.. I just don't use the best paper to do scribbles... I have tons of paper, why would I waste it with things I know are going to look like crap? haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had this same fear untill recently, I guess it's hard cos you don't want someone to sift through your book and be like "wtf is this".
    Just recently I've been starting to draw in my precious moleskin without caring, I just think fuck that I'm completing a sketchbook for once from front to back. I might start doing the printer paper on a clipboard thing, sounds like the best plan and I have a ton of the paper lying about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a similar problem, as well as something almost opposite. When I have crappy paper, I feel free to draw on it but it tends to be a lot of idle doodling -- scribbles, circles, stacks of cubes in sloppy perspective. When I have a sketchbook I don't want to waste pages and end up not drawing anything. But lately I've found it effective to get nice paper, either loose or in a pad, and practice on that. I find for some reason that because it's a high-quality piece of paper, I am somewhat more focused on what I'm doing in order to justify the investment, while at the same time since it's not stuck in a book I don't feel like I'm stuck with it if it doesn't turn out well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once you get better at drawing, you will find it easier to get looser at drawing instead of becoming analytical about every detail(particularly when drawing from imagination). Most of the time I doodle subjects of which I am already good at drawing, and that probably plays a big part in why quick napkin sketches might feel like the better of your imaginary works.

To get into my creative mode, I sketch things without a sense of right or wrong. As I build up the image, I try to see things within the sketched lines; to let the sketch on the paper inspire what the picture will eventually become. I would put little marks here and there, all over the place; my pen drifts from point to point, and with each mark, the image comes closer to life(representation). I also put some loose lines or values to suggest local values or shades and perspective. The important thing here is to think in terms of the bigger picture. What I would establish here is the concept.

I get into my analytical mode after I have done the creative mode sketching, with a decently refined image where then I start drawing with a sense of right or wrong. The right or wrong in my case, lies in the or accuracy of lighting, form, perspective, details, and etc; the fundamentals. What I am doing here is thinking in terms of the smaller pictures in order to refine the concept.

You can say the image goes from chaos to order.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Solution = multiple sketchbooks!

(I've got about 5 or 6 going right now. . .)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Solution = multiple sketchbooks!

(I've got about 5 or 6 going right now. . .)

Thats also my solution! I have several ones going, one for anatomy, one for drawing from life (a5 so I can take it everywhere) and a dummy where I just scribble out ideas. Those are technical aspects of having a dummy, the mindset about a dummy is an ideas book. Its the seed for a good concept for what COULD be awesome! As long as you can read whats in it then that should be fine. Even though I'm saying this quite easily I also struggle with this problem at times.

Good luck with finding a workaround,

Take care,
    Talis

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another vote for multiple sketchbooks here. I got one sketchbook that I don't allow myself to do anything serious in--its only purpose is to be a sketchbook for me to make really bad drawings. Once you set up a sketchbook that way, it's hard to feel intimidated, since the only way to fail would then be to make a *good* drawing... And that would still be a win.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Borrowing from all of the ideas here and some from Matt Archambault, I have a nice toned sketchbook for doing finished drawings that I'm going to take a long time with. If someone asked to see my sketchbook that would be the one. The other I kind of made into a day planner and keep all notes, appointments etc. in it. I find it makes me want to carry it around and I end up drawing it it more because of that. Nobody is ever going to see it, in fact it is going in a box in the garage when it is full.

I also set a goal for myself to try and complete one sketchbook every couple of months. I'm not sure this is the best way to go, but it gives me an idea of how much drawing i need to do vs. how much I have been doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I switched from working on loose paper to working in sketchbooks when I continually lost, got wet or stepped on my loose paper drawings. I'd think to myself "hey, where is that comic idea I wrote down?" and three hours later I'd still be shuffling papers trying to find it. Now I just buy those cheap black hardcover sketchbooks and have 3 or 4 going. It only takes me 10 minutes or so to track them down and flip through them to find the one I want.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Now I just buy those cheap black hardcover sketchbooks and have 3 or 4 going. It only takes me 10 minutes or so to track them down and flip through them to find the one I want.
    That only works until you have a hundred identical sketchbooks scattered around the place (getting stepped on, being used as coasters for teacups, getting buried in the book-drifts, slipping under the couch, etc...) Then you're back to shuffling through piles for hours.

Even worse is piles of mixed sketchbooks, art books AND loose scraps (got a lot of piles like that.) Oh, and too many identical manila folders containing potentially either sketches or project notes for work. Tracking down a specific folder can get interesting, especially if I forgot to label it...

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep two different sketchbooks; One is the "pretty" perfectionist one, and the second is the loose sketchbook.

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only time I feel like that is when people ask to look through my sketchbook.. which happens quite often for some reason.
    I feel like I have to explain to them that most of the stuff in sketchbook are supposed to suck, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    That only works until you have a hundred identical sketchbooks scattered around the place (getting stepped on, being used as coasters for teacups, getting buried in the book-drifts, slipping under the couch, etc...) Then you're back to shuffling through piles for hours.
    I'm thinking of printing up labels so at least I know which ones are full.

At least my scans are organized!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2