Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Juraj Janosik - Character concept design

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to hear more backstory of the character to make a better evaluation. But i can say one thing right now, and that is that i belive his hans are to small (im not so sure about dwarf-anatomy my self, but i think they are to small).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the design so far, though I do agree - the hands seem a bit small, especially compared to his big stompy feet.

Without knowing anything about the character, I like the design over all. It seems like the lighting is a bit weird though - the bright white highlights on the pants and one shoe are really jarring when the rest of the design is so dark.

My impression of the character is that he seems to be the experienced (and successful) adventurer type. He has a...magic club or something along those lines? The short stature and fine clothing suggest that he's not a brawler and, while he might take a swing a people with that club, he uses clever plans to out-wit his enemies rather than simply charging in directly. He's got a fairly neutral expression and stance so there's not much sense of personality, really. Any of that correct?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

The idea was make dwarven race character with clothing for a spetial event like fantasy ball inspired from diferent culture, not armory!
    Here is some of my references, For clothing I was inspired from Slovakia hero called Juraj Janosik he is similar like Robin Hood in UK.
    I put in his hend magic club, its a mix of club and musical instrument named Fujara. You can smash with club and blow insight for spetial attack.
    @Mental thanks for comments!
    @Neev your impression ir pretty good! thanks for comments!

Name:  Refference02.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  369.8 KB
    Name:  Refference03.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  369.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off very nice concept. Some things to take note of though are the practicality of the character- if he is in a semi realistic world the 4 belt buckles binding his body and 2 on each arm and 1 on the legs (if those are belts) seems a little silly. He would be barely able to move and why does he need to buckle his arms? Also the perspective on the belly buckles seems a tad off my eyes have trouble registering what they are at first.

Secondly that club is something I would rework Dwarves do like blunt objects and big objects like that but the lean more towards Hammers, Axes, Maces. Or make it a gun, the handle looks like a blunderbuss handle you can keep it the same shape but knock out the branches. Right now that club looks like it would shatter on its first impact.

Thirdly his braids are all over the place, why? Is there a reason they aren’t against his body? just something to think about, it makes for a cool silhouette but lacks in clarity.

Speaking of silhouettes you should find something to do with that right arm (his left) make your silhouette more interesting by doing something with it try putting him in some different poses.

Lastly the pants balloon to much it seems have them droop a bit pants that balloony would be silly to walk in.

Just a few notes on costume
    Hope they help!

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcky Marq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is a pretty good design. It's difficult to tell what's going on because you haven't chosen your lighting well. It's too much dodge-and-burn. If you lit the character in a more realistic way, it would be easier to see the detail on the clothing.

It's great to see a dwarf that isn't based on the same old armour-and-hammer design, and I admit I've liked Janosik since I was small so it's nice to see someone do a version of the legend. I think you should leave the design as it is and improve your lighting and colouring.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for comments! here is somee corrections.
    Name:  Sketch_CermakDesign_09.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  405.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Juraj Janosik

Finaly finished
    Name:  Sketch_CermakDesign_10.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  282.1 KB
    www.cermakdesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cucak, I hope this helps more than not. I took what you had and applied my knowledge to it. Heres what I did:

- Flip it horizontally to see it from the opposite perspective. This helps me see the errors in it easier. Then, while it was still flipped I went to Filter>Liquify in photoshop to push around the shapes and make it look closer to "right"

- After that I flipped it back then tried to find the lightsource. I based it on your shadow on the floor. I tightened that up then pushed the light that was hitting the guy. I tried to bring out the areas that should be lit up.

- Then I painted little things to make it clearer. I noticed you were using tricks for the hair and ou had some areas very details when they just needed a single brush stroke. This is scary when your not used to doing that but its very worth learning to do. At this point I worked on his skin and his eyes. I felt like these should be pinker than yellow as they have blood flowing in them. So I made the nose more red because i figured hes a drinker and would have rosey cheeks.

- I added a back light on the left to highlight it and at the same time i added some atmosphere and punched the lights with dodge and burn (not too heavy on it).

Name:  pirate.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  205.3 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.