Transparent Brush Strokes - Intuos 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Transparent Brush Strokes - Intuos 5

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Transparent Brush Strokes - Intuos 5

The opacity won't stay completely opaque for the brush. I have opacity and flow set to 100%.

When I paint in Windows 7 photostop cs 5.1 and 6, I get these semi transparent brush strokes that overlap each other, which shouldn't happen. It should be a gradual build up. I have reset photoshop settings, reinstalled photoshop, changed driver. No change.

The issue is with the opacity jitter so I think its a driver issue since my older intuos 3 worked fine with it.

I used to be able to achieve this, with thick globs of paint that were easily blended together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rYAp8_IF90

Last edited by ShockWave; October 22nd, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-949175.html

Seems like this guy had the same problem I do. Didn't say how he fixed it but you can see from his examples what the problem is.

I can actually blend better with the opacity jitter off in photoshop. However this defeats the purpose of having a tablet in the first place.

All I did was manually adjust the opacity as needed to get the results closer to how this should work with opacity jitter set to pressure.

So somewhere along the lines the driver is doing something it shouldn't be doing.

Last edited by ShockWave; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me ask an easier question. Is this blending normal? Am I supposed to be getting these transparent brush strokes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, not sure on this one. The way you describe it seems normal to me and it has not occurred to me to question it. I often keep the opacity jitter off because I feel it gives more oomph ( ) to my strokes and I like it that way. And the brush strokes that way are still very different from mouse strokes so I don't think it defeats the purpose at all (not considering the main purpose is getting the natural pen hold imo) The fact that you get these overlapping areas with the opacity jitter on makes perfect sense to me actually. However, I do not find it an issue as most of the times I don't lift the pen from the tablet after every stroke in which case those overlapping areas don't occur anyway. Also I get those areas only when I work with the brush very crudely. Finely adjusting the pressure after every stroke gets me smooth areas. I think those two are the main reasons the video above is working.

Members who have read this thread: 2