Sketchbook: ani's dusty sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow, thanks guys for the comments!! :D

Umbravita - yeah looking at it now i can see the glasses don't even look straight! I got lazy on that part and it shows - thanks for pointing it out 8)

Fess1001
    - thanks for stopping by! The figures are from ref/stock photos on the net I'm looking into a local life drawing class, its £100 for the course though so I'm having to save up at the moment before I can sign on. Thank you for your comment on colours! I really appreciate that, I'll try to incorporate some of what you said in my next studies. I hadn't heard of the 5-value system before (should I be ashamed? XD ) but I've looked it up and will try to practice that with pencils soon. thanks again!!

Nowio - thanks for your comment! yeah I agree about the proportions, so much to work on I should really just spend a few days doing nothing but hands. but I keep getting distracted argh! lol

AriyaLothiriell
    - hey you're welcome! and thanks for stopping by here thanks v much!

kevin_ - thanks! I feel like I'm not doing enough though lol

Joaru - thanks v much Its hard for me to tell if the studies are making any difference to be honest, but then thats why I'm keeping this sb thread, so I can look back and one day hopefully see the improvement myself!

wannabeanimator
    - you are welcome! keep it up & thanks!!

Lost Shock
    - thanks ! the sp looks a bit flat to me now. but I think I was trying too hard to get a good likeness instead of rendering form properly. I think I should have done it b&w, ah well next time! Thanks, I'll try to do some more from imagination 8)

So I've been a bit slack lately.. this is what I have to show for the last week or so.
    Spent way too long on this stupid painting, I wanted to take a break from drawing and then got sucked into this, which I hate now anyway. Its boring and it still looks FLAT ARGH. I made myself finish it because I thought leaving it would have been worse after wasting all that time in the first place.

Name:  0411-sml.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  121.9 KB

quick enviro study from a photo ref after finding some new brushes to play with. I tried to lay out the colours with the hard brush first.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  35.7 KB

mix of loomis, bridgeman, studies from refs/quickposes and some from imagination. I did some drawing on the bus but it was so bumpy it looks like horrendous scribblings so I didn't bother scanning those lol. On the loomis page I forgot to prop my sketchbook up, I think that might have contributed to the stretchy heads a bit xD

Name:  Scan20007.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  123.2 KB
    Name:  Scan20001.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  142.4 KB
    Name:  Scan20006.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  143.4 KB
    Name:  Scan20005.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  161.7 KB
    allen schezar wat lol

Name:  Scan20004.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  140.0 KB
    Name:  Scan20003.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  128.9 KB
    tried to do some actual legs with feet on the ends from my head!
    Name:  Scan20002.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  142.9 KB

New WIP.. trying to be a bit looser.
    Name:  reesa-wip.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  150.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update ani! Really good job on those figurative studies. The hands and the legs -- and I am also really digging the sitting man above the self portrait -- all the anatomy and even the facial detail that you manage to capture with just a few clean, simple lines is very cool.~ I also think that the little bit of cross hatching that he has works really well; it feels a little busy on most of the other figures somehow -- so maybe 'less is more', or just needs more weight variability? *shrug* I dunno. I am curious though, do you follow some kind of program, or do you just pick what to study spontaneously/based on what you think you struggle with? There is definitely improvement in your sketches, from post to post even, so yeah -- you're certainly on the right track. Wish I knew what I needed to be doing.

P.s. Oh, about the 5 value thing, heh, I thought it was pretty known:/ I don't come from traditional media and had to do it all backwards, but I remember we had it on the first day of school as part of foundations, and then repeated lots of times throughout. Now that I've looked it up, there doesn't seem to be that much info on it on the internets:/ It's basically just names for things you look out for when shading, i.e highlight, light, tone, form shadow and reflected light. Or something like that. Helps to find/push them on a form to make things look more '3d'. I guess you could probably just figure it out by doing a bunch of studies, since all the surfaces are slightly different anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fess - thanks very much!!! I actually really hated the sitting man drawing, I thought it was awful lol but it makes me feel a bit better that you like it! You're right, its only now in the last few weeks that I realised that I hardly put any thought into my lines, like I'm still thinking of lines like an outline or something! I love that slow realisation though. Hopefully it will start to show in my future drawings?!

As to what I study.. well I try to focus on things I know I'm particularly weak on, because I always avoided in the past. Basically everything except the female form. But sometimes I look back at my previous stuff and realise I can't even draw/paint women right, so end up doing some more portraits/women again, haha.

I think its important to spend a little time on something you usually balk or convince yourself to avoid - at the moment I know I should be doing environments, landscapes etc because I know how horrific I am at those, more than anything else I do. I know this because I have done a few and ended up deleting the files lol, and I don't think I have a single pencil drawing of a landscape or terrain of some kind. Better add that to my list too, haha. So I don't know what you find tough to do, but whatever you feel you struggle with similarly to how I feel, do some of that!

Also, I spend a LOT (maybe too much) time reading the awesome sketchbooks on here. I recently finished Miles Johnson's sketchbook, and I'm about halfway through Hannes/algenpfleger's sketchbook. Seeing them improve and what they studied in order to get better gives me motive and ideas on what to study too! Also, stopping struggling when I start to get fed up and painting something fun for me (like portraits, HA) helps me carry on when normally I would probably procrastinate or give up.

Sorry my reply turned into quite an essay! Whoops! Thanks for the explanation on the 5 value thing, it makes sense. I feel like I'm only just starting to really see/learn these things when I "look" at things while drawing/painting. I guess its the kind of artist instinct that comes as you study more.

Sooo, I've been so busy this week, all I've done really is work on this portrait. Been putting a bit more effort in than usual and have reworked it a few times. I think its about 70% done now though. I'm sure there's something wrong with the right-side eye (uh, her left?) so gonna tweak that tomorrow.

Name:  portrait-wip.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  89.6 KBName:  portrait-wip2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  91.0 KBName:  portrait-wip3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  65.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see. Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too - just pick up what I'm worst and work on it. And then go back and work on all the other things... One of the recent comments that I got was basically: "You should work on getting your stuff to look better". Very specific like that. But true, of course; because even though I, similarly, feel pretty confident in some areas - none of them are quite there yet, I guess So yeah, it's going to be "PRACTICE ALL THE THINGS" eventually hehe. Reason I asked though, is that you (and quite a few other people on here too, actually) seemed to be very methodical about what you practiced, like maybe there was a plan/some structure that you followed. I didn't think that you might have all just followed each other. I guess I should also dig into other people's sketchbooks some more. >_> I do every now and again, just not as much and it's mostly skimming through the images, so I probably missed a lot of things. Thank you for taking the time to explain - I was wondering. I'll also check out those people's sketchbooks that you mentioned:]

I think your latest portrait looks good! (Is the one on the right the latest o_O?) I really like the nose on that one, and the eye also seems fine to me - the eyelashes at the corner maybe a little shorter, and the ones on the lower lid not as defined, but that's about it. You probably already know this, but if you flip the canvas horizontally, you can easily check what's off as the image will refresh in your mind. But it really doesn't look off to me. Looking forward to seeing the finished version!~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fess - thanks!! yes the one on the right was the most recent, haha, yeah I flip the image a lot, probably too much, because after a while I feel like I can't really "see" it right anymore xD I spent a bit of time on the eyes and hopefully it looks better now. Also on the nose and mouth, pretty much everything lol.

About what to practice, although I love flicking through lots of journals, there are some golden older ones which are just SO inspiring to look through. I haven't had much time this week to spend on looking through them, but I would really recommend those ones that I mentioned, let me know if you'd like the links!

I really appreciate it when people comment, but I LOVE it when people are more specific than just "getting your stuff to look better" lol - but then it can be hard sometimes, especially when I feel like the person I'm trying to be helpful towards is so far above my skill level, that I can't for the life of me think of anything to say except "LOVE EET" haha!

So stayed up too late last night trying to finish this, but made myself stop so that I don't rush the last few details and bg and make it look sketchy and crap in some areas like I usually do, so I guess this is something like 90% done now:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finished! at least I finally finished something remotely productive this week.

totally dahlig/delon/bergkvist inspired :3

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! Loving how you vary the sharpness in the latest portrait. Really gives you that focus-point that's easy for the eyes. I think that you have good control over colors with the same hue-range, or really colors in general. Finding it hard to critique you, but maybe in your tradtional work you could try changing the thickness of your lines more, to build more line-confidence. A fun thing to do is assimilating your work. Basically removing unecessary lines and values. Keep up the great work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bjulvar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oo, it turned out really well! Quite a change from the previous one too! Really like the colors of the face and then all those different hues that radiate around it. If I were to suggest anything, it is to try adding a hint of a complimentary reddish (maroon, or even red orange) color into the shadows of the hair (esp around the edge of the face) -- so that those are still dark, but the hair feels more part of the same environment (color root?) as the rest of the face. It would also intensify the blue-green of the hair a little more. Or, alternatively, you could try the other way and add more of the blue-greens to the farther edges of the face, the shadows, or those planes that face away from the viewer and would be catching more of the environment reflection.

And about those links, yah, if you have them lying about - sure! Haven't had much time to look anything up yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really admire your dedication to your studies, your figure work is improving in terms of your proportions and line quality. Your portraits show a lot of promise. Maybe play round with the values a bit more to accentuate different planes of the face so they have a bit more form. Good work keep at it your doing great.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey very cool stuff here i like your life drawings and the way you paint skin tones keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshfool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The way you paint skin is AMAZING and those eyes are just to die for! Haha

17. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bjulvar: Thank you!! I feel like I'm starting to learn a bit more about colour. Trying to be braver, but sometimes I worry my colours become over saturated / overcompensating cuz I'm worried about a muddy palette ! But lately I've been learning a lot more than I knew before about layer styles and overlays, so feeling a bit more confident about that. I will try to be more efficient with my lines, I get what you mean about assimilating work I'll try to practice that! Thanks!

Fess: Thanks! Yeah sometimes I get carried away with the colour balance tool! I'll keep in mind what you said about adding in some complimentary colours, I'll be sure to try that out on my next studies/paintings. About those links - sorry I've been busy too! I'll post them in your SB!

ja1307: Thank you very much!! Yes my values leave a lot to be desired I was thinking of doing some greyscales to try and give more depth, but haven't got round to it yet. But I'm glad you think I'm improving, thanks!!

Freshfool: Hey thanks very much!!

twilightmoon: Aw thanks!!

~~

Been feeling really tired this week - I admit I've been super slack on my studies

Also, feeling a bit gutted. I was considering going back to college to study game design, but the recent law change here in the UK means that I can't get tuition fee funding for anything other than a full degree or higher, because I already completed a foundation degree in the past. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go to this course, but having the choice ripped away makes me sad and a little bit annoyed that nobody bothered to mention that was pretty much my only shot a few years ago!

Ah well!!! Moving on!

I have like 2 pages of sketchbook studies to show so I'll wait til I have more before I bother scanning them in.
    A couple of bits to show (not much, mad at myself..)

20min quick environment study from photo ref, I want to do a ton more of these because I really feel like they are my all time worst things along with perspective!
    Name:  5sml.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  49.0 KB

painting I had fun with just doing in the evenings and after work over the last week or so:
    Name:  lavender-wip.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  39.6 KB (1st wip)
    Name:  lavender-web.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  64.6 KB (finished)

Another thing to my list. Painting hands. For some reason I find it a lot easier to draw than paint them.

So, painted hands and environment studies next!

Last edited by anivy; November 27th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I've visited your sketchbook, and I can see the improvement already so keep drawing. As for any suggestions, I'd say do more more perspective studies(you probably had that figured out already though). I also suggest that if you are doing hand sketches it would be the best idea to draw from your own to references(your actual hands) . It allows you to see the three dimensional structure better and you should try and implement what you learnt of the basic shapes from Hogarth(although he tends to exaggerate the sizes of the muscles and bones). I am not too sure how long you spend on your figure drawings but perhaps you could become more gestural. If you are still having trouble with line quality try sitting down for half hour blind contour studies it takes a lot of mental effort to concentrate and you really have to put in the effort to go slow but it pays off in the end.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl in the purple dress looks lovely. You painted the fabric really well. It looks unfinished, I think if you're willing to go back to it adding some detail to the hair, at least near the face, would help give it more of a finished look, with less detail as it fades into the background.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl in the purple dress looks really great! Very moody.

P.s. I wouldn't feel too gutted about the game design program as those are IMO a bit of a waste of time and money, especially taken into the account all the information that is available online/dvds and even online workshops. (Although, to be fair, I don't know what those programs are like in the UK, but I've been to two schools in the US and Canada, and have spoken to numerous students who've been to other similar schools and they all say the same thing.. ) If you have the time and can afford it, the normal art school stuff gets you further imho, and you can always learn 3d/game stuff on your own, or take a workshop or two..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fess1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Ey!

It's been a while since I visited your sketchbook. I know you stopped by a couple times on mine, as where I only visited yours once. And that's kind of unfair, isn't it? :c But I'm takin' a glance around here now, though, so-- it's all cool. :3 Your sense of anatomy is amazing. I'd say it's almost spot-on. As for your painting, well.. it's better than mine. A dozen times better-- but somehow I feel like some of them, like #36 lack certain highlights. Like in the lips and stuff. You should add those in and it'd be nearly perfect! Then again, I'm not sure. I tend to not give too many crits to people that are significantly better than I am, as they probably know better what they're doing haha.

Well, keep it up. You're amazing!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehecod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, I have no excuses but have been really slack posting. Here's one I finally finished yesterday and a WIP (middle one).

I really really need to do those studies.

And Ehecod - thanks!! you're totally right, I feel my work is really flat and 2D and noticing it more and more lately. I've been trying to work in greyscale before colour first to try and improve this but... we'll I'll keep at it, haha.

Name:  next-to-you---edit-sml.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  162.7 KBName:  khordas-ending-wip1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  111.4 KBName:  khordas-websml.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  143.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB! You got some goody studys. I really like the harder edges in the pice of post of 36 but the edges in your pictures in general tend to get too soft what makes the image appear to be kind of blured. Id suggest you to work on your edgecontrole with some more photostudys. Keep it up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1