Art: Is this the right Path?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is this the right Path?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is this the right Path?

Hello everyone,

im going to start my own blogg and sketchbook soon because i wanna give it all i got now.

So befor i do something wrong, i would like to discuss with some more experienced guys.

When i was 9 i played Final Fantasy 8 and decided to start drawing to become an Animator (2D&3D) and in my young mind i tought drawing is the first step.
    Currently i reached the first step and i am Studying in an Art School but my drawings are not as good as they are supposed to be in my age (23).

I havnt been drawing much for the last 2 Years because of my Girlfriend and me starting to learn Cinema 4D, going on to 3D Studio Max.

Now my Girlfriend is in Japan for 1 Year from tomorrow, and i wanna focus on drawing and nothing else to REALLY accomplish a big change in my Artwork.

While doing so im taking a further 3D Studio Max class in Art School and ill be working on a small Project. But i wanna focus on 3D Modeling after the Drawing.

To make this more easy for you, i started drawing to become a 3D Artist, but being able to draw on a high level is much more important for me.
    I love 3D Art, but drawing is a much more creative act for me while 3D modeling seem like a more technical job.

I wanna be able to draw everything on my mind, but also to model it in 3D and probaly Print it or Animate it. still, i think a good drawing is the basic and most important thing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to be honest, writing this down alone is enought to answer this question to myself.

Drawings come first, its the most important thing for me, so ill just do it for 7Hours a Day for the next 1 1/2 Years untill i like it.

3D Modeling comes next.

Wish me luck and follow my evolution!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting to me that you regard 3D modeling as technical. If you model in zbrush or sculptris, and just focus on the pure sculpting aspect, it's very creative indeed.

Name:  hephaestus-sculpture-scott-eaton-tn.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  64.1 KB
    (by Scott Eaton)

It's also a sort of art form correctly adapting a 2D style into a 3D model... it's not easy, and can have its fair share of artistic rewards. That said, I'm happy to hear that you're pursuing more drawing, if that's what fulfills you then follow it to the ends of the earth.

Last edited by Melete; October 23rd, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think to just get started and draw whatever i can is actually the best way to get started, but is there a way to guide this in a more productiv way?

good exersices or something like that? all i got are some drawing books like Betty Edwards, Portairs, and Anatomie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi89 View Post
    my drawings are not as good as they are supposed to be in my age (23).
    There's no such thing as some defined "quality level" that you're supposed to reach at a certain age. It's ridiculous thinking like that that prevents people from even ATTEMPTING drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi89 View Post
    so ill just do it for 7Hours a Day for the next 1 1/2 Years untill i like it.
    I'm not 100% sure as to what that's supposed to mean, but you can't force yourself to like anything. Why would you draw at all if you didn't actually like doing it?

Last edited by Psychotime; October 24th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me drawing comes first..Until you draw something you will not get idea of applying 3d to it...So i will say continue with drawing sketches and then start 2D/3D work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also trying to boost my drawings. I'm reading loomis and watching vilppu, most people on internets recommended me those. This is not a fast way but I don't know any faster.

"8h-drawing-a-day" sounds like a bit exhousting. I think going for "4h-drawing/4h-3D" or something similar would give you quicker drawing improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by piskorz View Post
    I'm also trying to boost my drawings. I'm reading loomis and watching vilppu, most people on internets recommended me those. This is not a fast way but I don't know any faster.
    In drawing there are no shortcuts, just keep practicing the more you put into it the more benefits you reap. There are no magical bullets that will boost your drawing skills instantly, it takes time and patients and the people who can handle that are the people who go far with drawing.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis is great, but I think books can only take you so far. The difference is made by the way you look at things, drawing good is actually good observation. A good exercise for observation is taking a picture of a person or an object and turning it upside down and then copy the shapes as you see them, without trying to make sense of the "thing" that you are looking at. You will notice that the way you look at things its changing right away. I know you will improve quickly. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont draw for 7 hours a day ...start out with say 2 hours and if you feel like drawing more, then slowly ramp up the time, you dont want to wear yourself out.

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You say that you are 23 in art an art school, yet want to become an animator, and are self teaching yourself all of the programs. Why didn't you attend a school with an animation program, or why didn't you major in animation if that is the path you would like to pursue?
    I've heard of a lot of good animation schools that make sure you get the fundamentals down then teach you everything in order to do 3-d animation. just wondering why you didn't take that route?

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Melete View Post
    It's interesting to me that you regard 3D modeling as technical. If you model in zbrush or sculptris, and just focus on the pure sculpting aspect, it's very creative indeed.
    Whether you're using Zbrush or a traditional sculpting package, modeling feels super technical at first while you're learning the tools. Once you get over that hump, though, you realize that it's primarily a creative challenge (though technical problems certainly come up from time to time).

Members who have read this thread: 2