3D artist looking for a little drawing help
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3D artist looking for a little drawing help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D artist looking for a little drawing help

I want to get into 3D art. Everything I've seen though tells me that a little 2D knowledge can help a lot. As such I've been collecting various drawing books, but there are some specific types I'm looking for and I'm hoping some of you here can help me.

I remember seeing a lot of tutorials that when people ask for opinions people would say stuff like "That's only good if you want to learn how to draw a character with a stick up their butt," and other such comments apparently reflecting on the fact that they would only show drawing static T-pose like characters. Well I want this kind of tutorial. I'm really only interested in using drawing as a way to plan. Im not interested in becoming an illustrator. I have Vilppu's drawing manual for any time Id like to learn some more dynamic life drawing type stuff to help with posing and such, but right now I am purely interested in more technical types of anatomy and form. My immediate goal is to just be able to draw some orthographic reference that I can take into something like blender to make a crude box model that can then be taken into Sculptris to refine. My ultimate goal is to use Zbrush since I'm really only interested in making my own statues and such that I may some day 3D print.

So, proportions and anatomy are the big things I want right now, but most books, like my Vilppu book are more focused on life drawing and more dynamic drawing for illustrators and comic book artists etc with only brief looks at proportions and anatomy. I'm not interested as much in super realistic life type stuff where people draw or sculpt every little bump. So anything that can also help simplify the anatomy down to the big shapes and the important landmarks would be awesome.

Hopefully this kind of thing exists, if not then I will make due with what I have. My friend attends TAD which is why I know of this site and its about the only art focused forum I know of so that I why I'm asking here.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well there is Gottfried Bammes books, Andrew Loomis Figure Drawing for all its worth. There are numerous Anatomy for Artists books, a simple google search will find those. If you want to learn sculpture study traditional sculpture where they will have you build an ecorche and learn from the ground up. There is also an Ecorche app for Ipad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds awesome, thank you. I will definitely look up that Bammes book and look up the ecorshe more.

The anatomy is the easier part since I've seen plenty of books for that myself, but the main thing I can't find is really good indepth proportional and plane stuff. It is usually just one chapter at the start and all they show is an 8 head male and female. Loomis showed multiple heads of males but not really how the female body compares at each head level.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Reilly Method books have more of what you want. They deal in planes and construction. The best one is Mastering Drawing the Human Figure from Life, Memory, Imagination by Jack Faragasso. Unfortunately it is out of print and expensive to buy when you can find one. Plans to reprint it seem to have fallen through.
    Doug Higgins has a book, it is not as complete as the Faragasso book but still a good reference and general overview. You could contact Ron Lemen or Jeff Watts of Watts Atelier and see if they have any course books or handouts to sell you as they still teach a form of the Reilly method. I know Watts has a pamphlet because I have it from a workshop I took years ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.