Art: Andy Walsh - Aspiring Environment Artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Andy Walsh - Aspiring Environment Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Andy Walsh - Aspiring Environment Artist

Hi there,

I never knew this section existed until now. So I'm super excited to have someone review my portfolio.

Back Story: Two years ago I quit my job as a graphic designer to become a personal trainer (after years of hating office work and wondering what the hell else to do). I left the town I'd lived in for the previous 8 years and moved back in with my parents. Turns out that being a PT also sucked, so I had a life review and realised that, all along, since childhood, my passion was to paint environements for films (and to a lesser extent, games).

My goal is something along these lines: 2d environment artist for games, environment concept artist for film or maybe trading cards, matte painter. Also maybe a 3d visualiser for movie/tv sets but this is a rare role indeed.

I'm currently working on speed concepts because most of my work takes around 1-2 weeks, which is a big problem. The below dusky castle scene is among the first of such practise pieces and that took half a day.

I hate to sound ungrateful or egotistical in any way but I'd really like feedback from someone IN the industry or who is better than me. Although all opinions are great, I very very rarely find a pro to give me feedback, and as I need to turn professional as soon as possible, I'm quite desperate for such help! Thanks!

More examples available at www.stayinwonderland.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, These are really amazing. I really love the line work. Impressive!!! I hope to one day be this good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that your problem is that you don't know how to focus details, this is why you have to work on a single piece for more than a day or two. What i mean is that your pieces are full of details, so much full that even in reality that level of details doesn't exist. When your eyes focus on something everything else stays blur, you have to play with this. Chose your subject and develop the image in a way that your main subject does have the highest level of details and then detail out the rest in order to hold up the image. I suggest you to watch the Ryan Church Gnomon Dvd because you will see exactly what i am talking about. I hope it's clear enough, if you have any other question that i might answer send me a message

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I shall try to speed up by being more discerning with my detail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you got a lot of cool stuff going on here, specially on 3d environments...

What I miss is a little more study on textures and shading when you try and pull some 2D stuff. I'd paint a little traditionally with spotlights and various shapes and materials. Would help you a lot. but you're definitely good

André Meister
    Concept Artist
    Portfolio
    art@andremeister.com
    +55 11 97956-0081

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback André, always appreciated. I do need to do more studies. I have very little study time under my belt and I'm a bit of a reference slave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No need to feel a slave, dude Reference is always good. I like your 3D stuff, but I think it's clear where you miss and where you hit the jackpot. And when you're gonna get hired, it's always good to show your jackpots. People are gonna judge you from your worst piece. Concerning the study time, think of Bruce Lee, who said when he was putting his pants on, he was doing an equilibrium exercise. Life is your classroom, mate. See art in everywhere and you're studying all the time. Keep a sketchbook in your pocket, try and envision things from color to composition. U see some artist you like? try to comunicate with him, or understand how he made his piece. A good exercize is to take some old masters' work and try to simplify them so you understand some of their decisions.

try that and I think u'll be on your way... DON'T SETTLE.

André Meister
    Concept Artist
    Portfolio
    art@andremeister.com
    +55 11 97956-0081

Members who have read this thread: 1