Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #242 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Portrait Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #242 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Portrait Study"

Spartan Camp #242 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Portrait Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 28th of October.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Free Choice Portrait Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The Background
    On November 1th it will be International Self Portrait Day on Conceptart.org (Link to last years thread HERE). Of course, you don't have to join the portrait day activity. But this is a good opportunity to practice head anatomy and portraiture!

The Exercise
    Focus on portraiture this week. The actual exercise is not so specific and you are free to do any portraiture-related study. For instance, you could do a master study of a portrait done by another artist. Or try out a self-portrait. You could also search for some images of faces and portraits and simply study these. Value studies, color studies, quick sketches, whichever you want.

Reference
    Check the first post in last weeks' thread for some head anatomy reference.
    One of those links allows you to download Loomis' books, which can provide great portraiture reference as well (notably "Drawing the head and hands").
    In general, actual portraiture reference should be relatively easy to find. Think fashion ads, portraiture photography, movie screencaps, and soforth.
    (Link1)(Link2) - Portrait galleries. Relatively small sized, so perhaps less suitable for longer studies.

Upcoming Optional Studies
    TBA

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #241

Andrea Tarroni
    Anthis
    Flashback
    lo-l0
    Animare

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! i just discovered the community activity threads and cant believe i didnt knew about it before, so many challenges i missed.... i tried to dish out a few quick poses and portraits before bed, all under 10 mins, i think your threads are one of the more interesting at least for me since i love anatomy and its the thing i want to work the most right now.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  193.3 KB

update: soo thought id have time this week but didnt cause i was always so exhauseted after work but ill spend my whole week end on this

Views: 225
Size:  209.1 KB

more, not putting as much energy in those.... im getting kind of frustrated , i want to be better and want to be better now
Views: 271
Size:  322.0 KB

Last edited by andartarius; October 27th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andartarius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I shouldn't have taken that Loomis Heads and hands break this month.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    five characters required

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Swamped with stuff so gotta keep it short ;(. New thread will be up tomorrow!

andartarius; Great job man. I can see you getting tired along the way though. That or you were taking less time. Your first images are quite intensive though. Think you struck a great balance with value work and fluent gestures. Try to find a way to 'recharge' in between. As for me, it helps to do a different type of drawing in between. Some imagination gestures, or doodles for fun, sketches, some quick characters. Very functional when you've just done actual studies, and a good way to get some energy again. And I feel exactly the same- progress is entirely too slow. Still trying to figure out better ways to study

Flashback; Indeed, Loomis would have prevented those small heads! careful. I don't think it's an actual recurring mistake though, perhaps more due to the quickness of your gestures. They do seem real fast. might want to try different speeds. Plus, I know you can handle better poses

Did just the optional portrait study using a screenshot of Milla Jovovitch as Joan of Arc. No gestures, unfortunately.
    Colours and blending are messing me over.

Name:  JoanofArcstudy_Spoptional_242.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  498.5 KB

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - that study is beautiful!!! i like the mix of the rough unfinished parts and detailed sections.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice study Anthis!
    Busy week and a busier weekend so haven't had much time to do anything this week.
    So some quick portraits in pen and an unfinished photostudy. Hopefully will have more time this week.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    animare: well done the color one is beautiful!, i love it, some of those ink portraits are good, but some feel a little unbalanced and like they are melting, maybe keep an eye on your stucture and all, but overall great.

anthis: beautiful study, very precise, im impressed! cant say much about this except that its looking good and id love to see it finished, id like to see some speedy sketches too!!! Thanks a bunch for the extensive critique, i will try your tips, you seem to know what your talking about for sure!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to andartarius For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2