Art: Creatures for MonstersByEmail (update Dec 6)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Creatures for MonstersByEmail (update Dec 6)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creatures for MonstersByEmail (update Dec 6)

Hi.

These are sample creatures concepts made for my new project Monsters By eMail.
    They are available at print-resolution, including stats, rpg-adapted descriptions, publishing rights, and a step-by-step 'making of' pdf - for FREE, at the MonstersByEmail website.

Name:  CronLychma_JPG_webres.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  155.2 KB
    Name:  Parnirion_JPG_webres.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  AgiSepthoron_JPG_webres.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  183.7 KB
    Name:  Michilaft_JPG_webres.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  147.6 KB

All kinds of feedback is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by Cloister; December 6th, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4ntimatter is offline if a ghost went into the fog would he be mist? Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man your creatures are so creative,
    The Octo-creature with the spider like eyes looks amazing. The Parnirion or the second from the top looks like he could actually be running around some alien forest on some far away planet, I'd guess he was some deer like mammal that had to start eating meat and so evolved into a vicious beast that would be imposable to escape from, and no amount of tree climbing is gonna save you. (It even looks like his fingers evolved out of his paws/hoofs) I'm probably way off what you were going for, but thats what I liked about him/her.

And don't get me started on that CronLychma, It's just terrifying. I'm assuming it's a giant exoskeletal cold climate creature.

Anyway sorry for waffling on. All the characters are interesting and very good ideas, I really like them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some tremendous detail there. This is the type of stuff I strive to do. My favorite is the green guy. The lighting on the left side of its dace looks so lifelike. Yet at the same time, it seems all the sharp detail is exclusive to just his head. I wonder, too, about its right (our left) arm. The elbow appears to be at an odd angle. To match its stance, I wonder how it would look if the elbow were placed on the other side of its arm? Again, great work!

Fantasy Art and Comic Art at Vigistry.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback Vigistry, 4ntimatter! Greatly appreciated.

Here is another aquatic beast.
    Name:  Nevianaar.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  323.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just fantastic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love creatures ! All of these are great, like the light and colors, the design is very nice too !
    I would just say about the green trent the left arm isn't shadowed enough, looking at the face shadow I can imagine the light spot is a little more behind... This one is my favorite, with the last sea monster, they feel so "real" !

I looked at your website, very great source of inspiration, I will spread it arround to my roleplaying friends

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting designs, its a shame we arent told more about their environment or what they do? perhaps some of the designs could include them interacting with something they would normally do in their everyday?
    just a thought- otherwise awesome stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alfonsoesposito: Thanks a lot!

Griffonnage: Thank you! Yes, you're right about the arm... a greater part of it should be shadowed from the body.

James Thomas: Thanks! These are adapted for installment into various products (as stock art, basically), so I keep the background clean. But there is a lot of descriptive information available as free downloads at MonstersByEmail.com

Here are two more Monsters By Email "pre-subscription" creatures.

If you enjoy creatures and are involved in traditional RPGs, publishing, digital illustration, or simply a creature fan, this is likely to be something for you.
    Learn more about the project at http://monstersbyemail.com

Name:  NeNundar_Creaturespot.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  221.5 KB

Name:  monstersbyemail_promocreature3.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  207.3 KB

Crits and Comments are very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cloister, you have here a very interesting collection of monsters. very original and unique. I personally like your "tree monster" love the textures you gave him. Great Job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lanotdesign: Thanks!

Moooaaar Monsters By Email demonstration creatures!

Name:  Dronhedon.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  249.9 KB

Name:  Jarrazen.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  Ghardachin.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  217.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoy your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nicholas,

Really nice work you have. I can see your dedication and passion. Its shows! But I do think you are selling yourself & your work way too cheap. I know $2 for a subscription may be seen as a way to generate extra revenue which I don't argue with, but on bigger scale.... the price range lowers your 'value' as someone that people wish to hire. All most self exploitative. From my standpoint, potential clients see the following: $2.00 price= $2.00 artist. Regardless of skillset and quality.

In the end I hope you will gain much exposure, requests for commission work, and are supporting yourself. Your skillset should allow this to happen. BUT as time marches on I hope that you'll reconsider your approach because you're worth more than $2.00 and the market knows it too,
    -Jason

Official website-
    www.JasonFelix.com
    Jason Felix's Blog-
    Monstergalleria.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bomba (Jason): Thanks for your thoughts and words!

I've been freelance between regular jobs (teaching) for some time. Since moving is not currently an option (unless something really mindblowing comes along) I don't apply for positions abroad. I live in a rural part of Sweden, so when it comes to illustration and concept work it is freelance or nothing for me. Since I'm visible online I receive regular offers from companies and people desiring art and concepts for their products, but it is extremely rare that those offers come anywhere close to average Swedish wages. I have done some cover work for book publishers, and I have had a few good gigs, but typically the deals I'm offered aren't worth considering, from my perspective. This is partly because there are plenty of good illustrators in low-cost countries, and partly because of the tabletop/pen-and-paper RPG "industry" culture and situation. Apart from my first two gigs I have been adamant in declining all of these "unfavourable" offers, and I have been able to do so, thanks to the Swedish unemployment system. In other words, I have been around for years, without degrading my value as an artist.

Now I'm thinking; How about, instead of finding single companies ready to pay a lot of money for illustrations, I try to find a lot of individuals (and indie-publishers) ready to pay a little money for illustrations. If I succeed I will be paid enough, and they will all be happy. I realize that to some extent this might damage people's ideas about what creature concepts and illustration should cost, but my subscribers can't order any specific art, nor can they direct me. They will be paying for the creatures I would like to do, rather than their own vision (often based on teenage popular demand). Low-price stock illustration is already around anyway, though typically the quality is low to decent. The strange thing is, that since I started marketing this deal, I have been contacted, more frequently than ever before, by publishers, and some of those with fair offers. If someone wishes to order specific, exclusive, work from me, I will still give them the same rates as before.

BenVanDen: Thanks!

MonstersByEmail.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.