How Much to Charge?!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How Much to Charge?!

I am just now really starting to make money from my art. i never know how much to charge for things. Can I get some advice?

I am doing a tshirt design. This is one I did for the same person before (for free... didn't know how much to charge)

Now I am doing another one, but it'll be much more involved... a few boats, several people, lots of fish, etc.... probably be the same style tho...

can anyone provide some insight into how much I should charge? This guy is a good acquaintance, so I want to take that into consideration. I figure 200 or 250 would make it worthwhile to me, but is that far too much to ask? Too little?

EDIT: I would also like to add that this was drawn 2 years ago. I have since gone to art school and stuff! woo

Thanks in advance.

any comments welcome... how do people know how much to charge?... its a difficult balance between geting enough, and not wanting to potentially lose the job... just takes a few lost jobs?...

Last edited by Giottoface; June 18th, 2004 at 02:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About six years ago, I had my own business doing nothing but screenprinting art. I had five regular screenprinter customers, doing nearly all their artwork.

Now, I did more than just design. I provided sketches, art and finally camera-ready color separations. I was skilled in art and screenprinting, so I could crank out the art, and the art was ready to go. I charged $40 an hour. Some simple, 1 color, softball designs would only take me an hour or less. Full, four-color designs could take up to eight hours.

What should you charge? Really, whatever you can get away with. Seriously, it really depends on the cost of living, the demand for your art, and what services you provide.

If you are new to the screenprinting biz and are just providing designs, take what will make it worth your time and use it as a learning experience. Call a few screenprinters and find out how much they charge for art like yours. At least then you'll know what the competition will charge. Charge a little less because you're a newbie. Once you get skilled, you can charge as much or more than others, but you've got to have a good reputation.

(I charged twice as much as other artists, but the screenprinters used me because I knew what I was doing. I knew what dot-gain meant and how to compensate. I knew what line count a 150 mesh would hold. I knew how to design for a dark vs. light shirt. All my art 'worked'.)

You can make decent money by focusing on screenprinting art. (I did, anyway. Got through college debt free.) It's a fun industry to be in. If you get a chance to see the process and get to know some people in the business, go for it. You won't get rich, but at least you'll eat well. Also, if you provide art for the screenprinters, rather than individual customers, your work will be sure and steady. Plus, you deal with less people and are more likely to get money from a company than an individual.

---Grym

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Grym said, go by your hours spent and materials used. Judging by your art, it looks like you are design only. $40 an hour is good for a freelance, amatuer artist, but since you did this for free before, you should really discuss with your client/acquaintance before you do anything. Also, people seem to be more willing to pay a flat fee rather than an hourly rate, so figure if something takes you 3 hours: $120.

Screen/T-shirt art is differnt from a painting/drawing in that it is usually a form of advertising/marketing, meaning that it is a business expense and most business people will negotiate. Just remember that when they try to haggle you. Don't take it personally and don't get discouraged if they try to de-value your art/experience/time, etc. Also remember that you are advertising yourself at the same time. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replying. I quoted the guy a price, and he agreed to pay... So I guess I'll just see what happens now! thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 1