2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Decreed the "Harvard of Animation" Sheridan's Animation program has a reputation for pumping out talented artists. Their Illustration and Animation programs are top notch and demand your full ass if you want to get in. So lets all stress about it together! A simple topic meant for 2013 applicants.

Important Dates
    November 17th Sheridan Open House/Portfolio Day
    February 1st Due date for Application through OCAS for equal consideration
    February 22, 2013. Due Date for Mailing in Animation Portfolio (Must have a time stamp no later than this date)
    February 25-29th Animation Portfolio Submission due dates (In Person)
    March 1st-2nd Illustration Portfolio Drop Off dates(in person)

FAQ
    How does the marking work?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    According to the coordinator, 8 different people, specializing in each section, look and evaluate your portfolio. So there are no 'hard' markers or 'easy' markers. All 8 of them are trouncing through your portfolio. So to break this down further, there are professors who specialize in storyboard that look at your storyboards, there are professors that specalize in characters, that look at your characters, etc, etc. And at the end, all 8 look at your personal section.

How many available spots are there?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    150 as of year 2013.

How much applicants are they expecting?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    It varies, but they normally get over 1000.

International students.
    ( Click to show/hide )
    They only have room for 25.
    International is OUTSIDE Canada. provinces outside Ontario don't count.

When will I hear about my acceptance/rejection?
    ( Click to show/hide )

If you're accepted
    you'll hear it first in your Sheridan Email. from March 25th-April 1.
    If you're inside toronto, you should expect the acceptance package April 1st-4th (there are a few anomalies though, so don't fret too much)

If you're rejected.
    You wont hear about it in your Sheridan email, you'll see it in the applicant status sub-menu around march 25th-April 1 You can find out if you're wait-listed or outright rejected, here.

Or you'll receive a letter April 1-5th (inside toronto) about it.

Useful Links:
    Sheridan Animation Tumblr Ask page/
    Figure/Animal Gesture Drawing Images
    Model Sheets/Surplus of Animation Information
    There is a plethora of information if you have the patience to dig through
    Portfolio tips from Graduate
    Score sheet
    Life Drawing Sessions in Toronto
    Links to Successful Portfolios and Unsuccessful

Animation Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

Bold = Portfolio Submission

2_C
    8Bee
    Atrain
    Astral-art
    CrimsonRook51
    BlueMaroon
    empire_c2
    Denaliah
    xDrawnxtoxDeathx
    DeerHooves
    DerekPaperPencil
    Dunnstar
    Kamikazel33t
    Hollman
    Kaylion25
    Kawaiixdesu
    xKotu
    Indigo Flames
    jdjake
    floppybutts
    Fractal64
    Linearts
    Lycoris
    mamuraa
    Mee-na
    Mieket
    Miraine
    Maffix
    Nickels
    Official Lamp
    pepe-silvia
    RayDunster
    Uptown
    Yahualli

Illustration Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

TwelveGauge
    Macabrewalts
    Lycoris
    Jipai
    NicktheLadd

Last edited by Dunnstar; March 24th, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent stuff! Let's keep this year super organized!

I am willing to put my portfolio from last year up here as an example of failed entry.
    Here it is: http://marclefevreportfolio.blogspot.ca/
    and here's the score sheet: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8441/img034r.png

I hope that having an example will help people.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you started this, shall we list our weakest/strongest parts of our portfolios now? For me worst: room drawings and surprisingly the still lives. best: hands (fyi the last time I applied though was in 2010 so I'm not sure if those are still the worst)

btw I'm thinking of taking a workshop class at max the mutt to help me prepare, anyone been to them/heard if they're any good?

BTW. u sure its portfolio day is going on this year? it says 2011 on the link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weakest for me; Character design, Room drawings as well.
    Best: Life drawings.
    We'll wait for Official Lamp (And Lycoris if he wants to join in on the fun) and then pick one section. If we still can't, we randomize it and set a 7 day due date.

I've never been to Max the mutt. I've seen him kind of spamming on conceptart though, not sure if good sign or bad.
    The upcoming workshops dont seem all that relevant to animation though and I'm not sure if the price is worth it. with 400 + Hst you could do quite abit. I would just check out whos teaching the lecture you're interested in and weigh the cons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My weakest: Room drawing
    Strongest: Figure drawing (Or at least, I think so)

Though, my biggest problem is breaking into that amazing "4" territory. Didn't get a single one, ha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    My weakest: Room drawing
    Strongest: Figure drawing (Or at least, I think so)

Though, my biggest problem is breaking into that amazing "4" territory. Didn't get a single one, ha.
    Ha! I'm setting my sights on all 4's doubt I'll get it but naught from trying.

I think its decided then guys. Room drawing.

Here's what I propose;
    One Room drawing by October 27th 12pm (-5 gmt) Or you get KICKED OUT(not really)
    All in favour?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Ha! I'm setting my sights on all 4's doubt I'll get it but naught from trying.

I think its decided then guys. Room drawing.

Here's what I propose;
    One Room drawing by October 27th 12pm (-5 gmt) Or you get KICKED OUT(not really)
    All in favour?
    AYE! but how loose/finished should it be? btw we should contact sheridan to see if the portfolio day is happening still, cuz the link provided in 1st post was from 2011
    Also we should list what our weakest evaluation criteria were so when we critique each other (or someone else new comes along) we can really zoom in on our weaknesses. for me is: composition

Do you think we should also evaluate eachother's work with a scoring system the way sheridan does it? plus comments not just numbers of course

Last edited by denaliah; October 20th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Do you think we should also evaluate eachother's work with a scoring system the way sheridan does it? plus comments not just numbers of course
    I think that may be pushing it too much. It's a good thing to use while judging the work, but I don't think we need a bunch of numbers. That's time that could be spent drawing, ha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries, I'll call Sheridan soon as Monday rolls around and get dates from the source. I checked their calender I don't know if they're having a portfolio thing. The open house might be what Mistybean was referring to, if so, I got the date from their calender.

As for how loose/finished it should be? I think we should pretend we are actually submitting the piece. Too loose and we can't evaluate line quality properly. I lost a lot of marks in line quality and composition, so focus there would be appreciated. The number thing might get distracting but we should keep it in mind for criticism and each of us should have something constructive to say.

Other than that, I've been attending life drawing sessions weekly. Something I think we all should be doing. I know OCAD has one on Wednesday I might give that a shot. I can put together a list of ones available in Toronto if any of you guys are interested.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 21st, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh great! a fresh blog for this year I would liek to be added for animation hopeful! I've been improving very well in the art fundamentals program! I feared I wouldnt but its working!

Last edited by kawaiixdesu; October 21st, 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome aboard Kawaii. I'm wondering how your school year has been so far? I hear art fundies at sheridan is intense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I just joined in and although I'm late, I'll definitely say AYE to the room drawing.

Please let me in

I think the weakest for me is... everything? Ha ha, I took Art Fundies before and the teachers there were always picky on my proportions, painting, and line quality. Everything else was 'okay.' No, not really, lol. They were super picky on everything but they were great teachers and they helped me out a lot. My strongest used to be life drawing, or I just presume that it used to be. I haven't practiced a lot in months so I'm in big trouble. Hopefully this room drawing project will shed some light on what I need to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome aboard Kawaii. I'm wondering how your school year has been so far? I hear art fundies at sheridan is intense.
    Thank you, Dunnstar
    omg yes! its soo demanding! I've even had a few "screw school" moments! a few of my friends dropped out of the program but I want to get better so I think I'll stick with it! My weakest is definetely life drawing I've never done it before so learning is going to be interesting. As for school overall I honestly can't wait till this semester is over I have some pretty picky teachers like Lycoris mentioned! I think my strongest is character? but it still needs work xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey (new) guys, glad you can join in. BTW are we submitting two room drawings or one?
    Kawaii and Lycoris: hows the sheridan campus life like? do you know how much is rent around there? its been a while since I've visited.

Can't wait to see everybody's work! I'm ok with picky critiques

Last edited by denaliah; October 22nd, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back Lycoris. Of course you can be "in" everyone is welcomed.

Room Drawing - October 27th

We want it in its submitted form, no loose, not "almost finished". Pretend we are submitting this for final assessment. Once Sunday rolls around everyone participating HAS to come up with critique for eachothers work. lets skip the pleasantries.

This guy here -> http://2ndwave.blogspot.ca/ got a perfect score on his score sheet. He only posted his roughs but its a nice jumping off point. I'm noticing they really want to see our construction lines,(Drawing through, horizon, vp) they want to see some imagination between the layouts and the 'extra mile' like drawing the tiles of your floor, or the title of the magazine. Essentially an interesting scene that we "compose". I'm seeing extra points scored for making up our own layouts as well. Anyone having trouble should check out http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Scene-.../dp/0811869873 this book.

As for 2 or 1 I think that should be voted on, I did say 1 because I didn't want to cram our schedule, but I'd vote for 2, since both are kind of dependent on eachother.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just called and confirmed portfolio day is their open house for some reason. So it is November 17th. Bring your portfolios and stuff and get quick pointers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just called and confirmed portfolio day is their open house for some reason. So it is November 17th. Bring your portfolios and stuff and get quick pointers.
    Is it at oakville campus or in toronto and wat time? btw I'll try to aim for 2 drawings but up to you guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Is it at oakville campus or in toronto and wat time? btw I'll try to aim for 2 drawings but up to you guys
    11am to 3pm Trafalgar Campus (Oakville). You can click the link under Important Dates for more information. I'll aim for 2 aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!

I don't know what happened to my account previously (Miek). I signed up with facebook, but I guess they abolished those accounts? eh...

I'm definitely applying again !! (Oh god this'll be my 4th time haha)

I definitely want to have a solid portfolio by November 17th, it's great to see this alive again!

EDIT: Here is last year's failed submissionnnn HERE

Last edited by Mieket; October 26th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mieket View Post
    Hey guys!

I don't know what happened to my account previously (Miek). I signed up with facebook, but I guess they abolished those accounts? eh...

I'm definitely applying again !! (Oh god this'll be my 4th time haha)

I definitely want to have a solid portfolio by November 17th, it's great to see this alive again!

Hell yes! Animation or Illustration? If you want to participate in our "self-inflicting" deadlines we our trying to get a room drawing done this Sunday.

Your posts are disappearing because of you have a new account, information here

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...46#post3094646

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 26th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Animation!
    Woops sorry! Animation!

Oh jesus, Sunday? @_@ There's no way haha

I forgot to mention I'm currently doing my final year at Sheridan in another program (Visual Merchandising Arts). I basically have my field placement for the next 2 weeks! ahhh.

I won't be able to finish the room drawing, but can definitely do sketches of it haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to game design as well? it seems interesting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kawaiixdesu View Post
    Hey! I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to game design as well? it seems interesting!
    It does look interesting. I might even apply if I dont have to pay additional fees.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 27th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Room drawing finisho! 2nd one still in progress. Here's my room, i'm not bald! I just left my insert bare, so not to block anything. Anyways, I had to take a picture cause its too big for my scanner. I'll see about scanning it in pieces though. Anyways, cheers, critique away!

quality abysmal. working on scanning it.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 28th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine: http://s263.beta.photobucket.com/use...heridan/layout (password: 123456)
    I really wanted to do 2 so they both are sketchy and I didn't go over them yet with dark pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to get one drawing done for today. I started a new job this week and this is my first day off. Just finished all the household things I needed to do, so let's see if I can have something to show.

*EDIT*
    Okay, so I got the sketch done, but none of the lines were properly adjusted for perspective. Posting just to make sure things keep rolling:
    Name:  Snapshot_20121028.png
Views: 7797
Size:  194.3 KB

Last edited by OfficialLamp; October 29th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently got a new job so I am trying to set aside some time to work on the portfolio. Will upload some rought sketches later today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When can we apply on OCAS? Also are your due dates right? I want to make sure because I want to plan ahead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should be able to finish the room drawing this week so expect a little "tardiness" from me. In the words of inspector gadget.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work guys. Here is my thoughts on it, now i'm obviously no better at room drawing than you guys so take it with a grain of salt.

Denilah: For yours, knowing its rough I'm not gonna touch on line quality or anything, but I think the door in the back right corner is too small, i know its receding but it feels too small still. Also if following your VP, then the ground should receed like in the picture. The celing feels a wee bit off not sure why, here is my suggestion. and the food stand thing legs feel unstable, probably because its not lining up in perspective, I would draw through and work it out. lightswitch seems abit big too.
    Name:  room1edit3jpg.jpg
Views: 6952
Size:  275.5 KB

I also notice you do alot of rough work and loose, you should really make a point of finishing it, so you can practice on line quality.

Official Lamp:
    Yours is just slightly confusing in that I have no idea where you were standing or sketching. I think to sell the piece more, show more of the back of the television and slope the couch accordingly. I also think you might want to make that corner visible so we know whats going on. Also for when you're finishing that piece i would slap some things on the couch/or floor.
    Name:  Snapshot_20121028edits.jpg
Views: 6732
Size:  152.5 KB

this deadline thing really helped me, I know we are busy but shall we set a next one? its a good way of confronting our weaknesses.

Nickels; I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 29th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast