2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective is a trifling mistress. You do any room drawings yet?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not yet still trying to get a feel for geometry in perspective. I do understand all the rules but if I create a room it will only be of basic geometry but will still have good measurements. Right now I am trying to get used to putting objects IN boxes so that I am able to draw anything in perspective.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah. I see. Room drawings take the longest of all of the portfolio pieces, so you'll definitely need the time. I'm working on my 2nd room piece, its definitely daunting.

I must admit kamil you have the passion, but a lot of this just takes time. So keep at it, never get discouraged.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True and "To The Virgins To Make Much of Time", I need to work as much and make the most of the time I have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunn, oh man I totally forgot about adjusting that wrench. maybe he'd scavenge some kneepads in his adventures but until then it goes to the side for sure haha.
    @Lamp, definitely see that the face is quite small at the side, the scarf is icky too. thanks!

I appreciate the feedback fellas. feels good to finally get some insight after practically being a hermit since april. :B I was actually in the january art fundies program, it was super fun meeting the people and all but in the end I decided it wasn't really my thing what with the painting and the gouache and.. ugh. I think I'll need some more practice if getting in for next september doesn't work out, animation portfolio workshop should be a good next step.

I've yet to really read through the whole thread but you guys mentioned deadlines.. sounds pretty sweet, that would definitely motivate me to stay on top of my laziness. I'm like the opposite of kamil right now. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went through this entire forum post by post. >_< Holy crap, I need to kick my ass into gear. :s

Hopping onto the bandwagon with all these deadlines. I tried applying for the animation program last year so this will be my second attempt. I haven't really worked on my portfolio since then though, just been honing my skills with art lessons and studies. :/

Also, someone said something about how February 1st is the equal consideration deadline but on the application information it says February 22nd as the deadline and doesn't mention anything about the 1st. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feburary 1st was last years deadline, they might of changed it, when I apply this January, i'll have all the information verified.

Deadlines restart in 2013. I'm just trying to get my butt in gear till then, even drawing something for my portfolio once a day is a start.

Floppy and xKotu welcome aboard.

Last edited by Dunnstar; December 20th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, thanks!

I'm trying to catch up to everyone else now. Here's my character that I worked on today, I think I just have to adjust the hands and feet to make the pose more comfortable but aside from that I'm quite content with it. :] Thoughts?

Name:  Character Sketch.png
Views: 423
Size:  537.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunn tanx broski, feels good to be on board.
    @Kotu looks pretty neat, I like his cheeks. :I I'd say the neck is a bit long, but that might be just me.

I'm still messing around in sai trying to get a decent side view going. the guy's meant to be slim but I can't really seem to capture it in a side view, bleh...

Name:  sidestuff.png
Views: 426
Size:  111.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome new posters! And to all you lurkers out there, post some stuff, yo! The more peeps we have active here the better motivated we'll all be!

@xKotu - Good to see you're thinking in structure, but it's pretty generic. Try pushing for a more interesting silhouette.

@floppybutts - That side view is much better! Maybe try pushing the posture? Angle the neck forward a bit if you're going for a slouch.

Also, assuming you guys get in, what are your plans for housing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am thinking of getting into a dorm hopefully although I heard they fill up really fast. Otherwise I am not too sure, I might have to try and find some sort of apartment or something to live in. I think a dorm would be preferable though since I have never lived by myself and the transition will be easier I guess especially how I have never been to Ontario(so I guess it may be better to get close to school) although I have had frequent visits to Alberta and Quebec. I wanted to ask, how limiting is the winter(transport, things you can do etc.) because I've never actually remembered the last time I saw snow(I was very little) and over here the winters are still hotter than the summers in Canada xD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kami winter in canada is like summer in russia lol. especially last year where the snow would melt the next day after it fell, there's like nothing. kinda makes me want to fly home since winter is my favourite season.. oh well. :p but yeah I'll definitely try to get housing nearby if by some fluke I manage to get in. back in fundies I'd bus for about an hour or so from vaughan and it was pretty bad... with the workload in animation I wouldn't want to have those kinds of setbacks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Floppy, i'd love to hear more about your art fundies experience.

Kamil, winter's can get pretty tough. cold, full of hail, wet, sloshy. Learning to dress for our winters is a skill everyone picks up. Layers. and lots of them. That being said, theres never more than 2 snow days a year. Usually in mid-jan or beginning of Feburary. So most days are still commutable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On campus housing is kind of expensive, and I think they choose who gets them by lottery? I'm going to look for roommates as getting rent as low as I can is a big issue for me. Right now my rent is super high and it limits me so much. I want to eat more than bread and beans.

Winters will be fine. Just get comfy socks, good boots, and learn how to look cool while slipping on ice. Also, looking at climographs for Toronto your precipitation is weak! The temperature might not drop as much here in Vancouver, but winter is our wet season and it makes any snow so much worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well yeah I doubt toronto's weather is worse than Vancouver. Ha!

I'll be looking into residence as well. That or driving back and forth but the gas alone would cost as much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always wanted to go to british columbia, I hear you guys get amazing powder on the mountains. would love to snowboard there someday! as for fundies, it was alright. not my thing like I said but the teachers were super nice and stuff. all of the people you'd get to meet in and between classes were awesome, I really couldn't find a single negative person in our setup which was amazing. it's like everyone had chemistry and just wanted to work and improve together. everyone except.. ME. :B nah but seriously I can't paint for crap. sheridan is an awesome school though, I just hope I'll be able to get in for a second run. x)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well better take care of it now than later since I've seen that a lot of first year animation students have to do assignments to paint in gouache. I've actually heard that a lot of animation students say they have a large workload on them, I'm wondering how many hours they are talking and whether or not it is the minimum requirements because I will be willing to do more than the asked assignment but I would also like some time to learn different aspects of drawing(like rendering for instance which is not really emphasized in animation) or personal artwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp Ah I see what you mean. I forgot about that. >_< I'll rework it a bit more. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure res is a bad idea for Sheridan tbh. It's all random and seems more expensive for what it's worth. Plus, if you end up with someone you don't like, it's almost impossible to move out of res until the year is over. Or at least that's what I'm hearing from a friend of mine. xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    herm?....? anyone wanna room together xD trololol

Looking at the updated portfolio requirements it says that if your mailing it in it has to be by their doorstep by 22nd of september(welp.. less time for me to work on my portfolio) and I believe for the people presenting it will be from the 28th of april to something(did not read that part of the deadline xD).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    22nd of September.. You mean March?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Forward your photocopied portfolio, by courier, courier-stamped no later than Friday, February
    22, 2013." o-o ? It doesn't have to be on their doorstep by then, as long as it is stamped that it was mailed that day it should be fine. But September and March were both wrong, I believe. o-o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they had a similar date last year. I thought they might've changed it.
    Thanks, I'll update that now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem. ^^

I was trying to check conceptart on my phone and the oddest thing keeps happening. I keep getting redirected to some trick photography website. o-0 But I forgot which deadline we're working towards and for what. xD Someone update me? :3 I'm trying to pin down my character rotation right now. 12 am and school break soo...artartart whee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's none right now.
    Soon as 2013 comes I'll announce a deadline. Right now, we are just letting people finish exams/essays/boxing weekend stuff.

Though it would help if you guys shared your weakest area and we could work from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, fair enough. According to my scoresheet, my weakest area were my animal drawings. :s Speaking of which, is there any books that anyone here would recommend on approaching animal drawings? I'm trying to learn from Vilppu's stuff right now but anything would help.

I also wanted to share this link: http://www.brianlemay.com/Pages/anim...uirements.html
    I found it helpful after my first rejection and it really set me on the right path with what to focus on for this round so I thought it might be good to share this with everyone else. If you scroll down, there are additional links for good/bad portfolio examples and the website author discussing them. Imo, very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very neat link there, xKotu! I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across it before. And those bad portfolio examples... people actually submit some of that stuff to Sheridan?! That kind of makes me angry.

As for animal drawings, I liked this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2435310/-K...Animal-Drawing however, I haven't given it a proper read yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xKotu View Post
    Ah, fair enough. According to my scoresheet, my weakest area were my animal drawings. :s Speaking of which, is there any books that anyone here would recommend on approaching animal drawings? I'm trying to learn from Vilppu's stuff right now but anything would help.

I also wanted to share this link: http://www.brianlemay.com/Pages/anim...uirements.html
    I found it helpful after my first rejection and it really set me on the right path with what to focus on for this round so I thought it might be good to share this with everyone else. If you scroll down, there are additional links for good/bad portfolio examples and the website author discussing them. Imo, very helpful.
    There is a lot of useful information, but the section "What Are My Chances Of Being Accepted?" is useless, as it makes no sense to average statistics over seven anonymous animation schools. Sheridan is notoriously hard to get into, while other schools seem to emphasise attitude and potential, or accept whoever is willing to pay the tuition. For useful statistics, research the schools of your choice.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kotu yeah I had the same deal with that trick photography website on my phone, weird stuff..
    @Lamp you sir, win all the internets. animal drawing is my weakest area too, I never really practiced drawing them especially from life.. gonna read through this thing and become the bestest animal drawrer ever! >8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp I know, it's surprising. I found his little story about the guy who sent in photos of all the requirements hilarious though. xD Thanks so much for the recommendation by the way. I just glanced at it and damn! ^^

@eezacque@xs4all.nl Yeah, I found that that bit was too general to be useful. The rest held up for me though. :3

@floppybutts Someone put up on the conceptart fb page that the website is happening for everyone using a mobile device (android or iOS). So odd. o-0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates, new job has taken a lot of my hours, but no more excuses heres my rotation:
    http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...0Li/character/

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62