2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Nickels - Beware of photography. Lens choices really fuck with perspective and wide shots will place vanishing point in different places. Take an empty frame and look through it at a room in your house. Note how far apart the points are.
    Cameras are tricky stuff: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0...el_Reynaud.gif[/QUOTE]

So is the one I have good? Can I keep going with that one?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kawaiixdesu View Post
    Hello Michelle! I hope you are also well. How is the program? I see you all the time because of the pikachu on your neck so I know its you but youre so shy xD
    Ahhh. The program is GREAT! There's not toooooo much work, except I really, really, really hate Composition and Rhetoric (basically the english class). Essays are the death of me!
    I'm always in a rush, so I guess I didn't see you D: Sorry LOL.

How's your portfolio coming along?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking for life drawing classes in mississauga; anybody know of any? I used to go visual arts brampton but now that I got a job I work on tuesdays. So its kind of hard for me to get classes in before march.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another question what size of paper is used for room drawings? I was gunna go with 8.5" x 11".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the limit for by mail is 8.5 x 11. In person aslong as it fits in the portfolio.

I'm using an 11 x 14.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I allowed to cleanup my drawings in Photoshop to mail in?(get rid of smudges use levels to show the lines more and make the background white.) Which reminds me over here we use European paper measurements so we don't have 8.5 x 11 paper just A4 paper. Would it be fine to mail in A4 paper?

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 21st, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh, i'm not really sure to be honest about mailing in portfolios. So best find a more reliable source.

As for the photoshop, I know they like it "rough" and loose but whos going to stop you from touching it up with photoshop? Depends what you mean by cleanup, really.

@kawai Thanks for the info, might even check it out. Looking at Frank Cho's work i'm seeing ample talent but not my sort of thing.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 21st, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely touch them up. Scanning takes a lot off of a drawing and we need to stay competitive. By no means should you be dishonest and cut up your drawings, but getting rid of smudges and correcting the levels is expected. A4 will be fine if you can't find letter sized printer paper. They have so many to go through I doubt they'll even notice the extra centimeter or so.

Personally, I'm thinking of sending in originals because I don't care if I get them back. If anyone goes to another portfolio day or whatever, could someone ask for me if I'd be penalized for doing that? Even if they're were on letter size?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I've finally found out how to add a little bit of story and interest to Hannibal's background! Here is my third revision of the character, I think he might be the finally variation that makes it through. I just have to make a full fleshed out clean sketch of him and then rotate him with a couple of revisions to his rotations and an action pose with a couple of revisions too!

Any critiques please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Offical: I don't see why they'd penalize you, I mean the only reason you don't send originals is because you aren't getting them back. if you don't care, send them. I've done this before with Sheridan's illustration and I got in.
    @kamil: pose unnatural, arms especially (too long and bending in weird ways), get rid of laces. Use a buckel maybe. If he's military, I'd give him broader shoulders. (if thats the type of guy hes going to be)

I've honestly had my character finished for weeks now, but it took awhile, here he is if anyone wants to give me a critique.

Name:  chara.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  154.8 KB

I've been working on action poses.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 22nd, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im gonna post some character stuff but I should be done the other stuff soon to catch up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have under structure but theyre just quick rough sketches so you guys can see some of my work! critique away ^_^

Name:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.28 AM.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  141.4 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.27 AM #2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  150.4 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM #4.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  163.5 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM #3.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  151.7 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  128.1 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.24 AM.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  126.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  character form.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  155.9 KB
    ok this is for Kami's character, I wasn't sure where to upload this, but I guess this is a good place. Its some basic forms to use for your character as well as some clothes fixes!

Actually guys, if you want me to do something like this to help you with hands, character etc. can you please send me a note on deviantart with a link please! Its way easier for me to get messages there! thanks1

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jermmgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quickly scanned over some posts:

@Jody (or kawaiidesu) OMG THANK YOU FOR INFORMING US ABOUT THAT LABYRINTH SALE!! I DIDN'T KNOW! OMG I HAVE TO GO WITH SOME FRIENDS TO THAT NOW YAY!
    and your characters are really cute, you could do any of them, but they lack structure and the proportion is off.
    @Officiallamp: Your character is looking really really good! I like it! but the hands need a little work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermmgirl View Post
    I quickly scanned over some posts:

@Jody (or kawaiidesu) OMG THANK YOU FOR INFORMING US ABOUT THAT LABYRINTH SALE!! I DIDN'T KNOW! OMG I HAVE TO GO WITH SOME FRIENDS TO THAT NOW YAY!
    and your characters are really cute, you could do any of them, but they lack structure and the proportion is off.
    @Officiallamp: Your character is looking really really good! I like it! but the hands need a little work

LOL YES!! MEAGHAN I LL SEE YOU THERE xD and thanks for the critque! I want everyone to see than I will do a better job of the structure and proportion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one with the hat looks the best, you could do something with it aslong as you touch up structure and proportion. I would look into exaggerating the volume of the hair too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    The one with the hat looks the best, you could do something with it as long as you touch up structure and proportion. I would look into exaggerating the volume of the hair too.
    @Dunnstar I really like your character dunnstar! great structure, I cant wait to see the poses!
    @OfficialLamp you're character is very interesting! I see a story behind her

Thanks for the critique! Ill definitely fix that when I choose a character I was thinking of the surfer girl. The hair tip sounds like a great idea I love drawing hair!
    also! what has the group done so far again? hands and room?

Last edited by kawaiixdesu; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp You're character is looking good. For the front view you may want to make the nose a front view as well since it is kinda at an angle.
    @Dunnstar Awesomee structure! The bottom of the leg on the left is thinner than the right side.
    @kawaiixdesu I think the girl with the hat may be my favourite too.

Please visit me at http://jipai.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t - He's looking much better, but still has a way to go! Jermmgirl did an excellent fix, so I don't have much to critique on. Let's see a side view, now!

@Dunnstar - He mainly has proportional issues. His forearms are super long, head a bit big, and his left side leg is too thin. Although there is some 3D form, it feels pressed down and not taken to the full extent. I also think the hair needs more thought. Even short hair clumps together and moves in directions: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-YOK6-hJ5k...drawing+47.png

@kawaiixdesu - I surprisingly like the surfer girl the best. She's simple, appealing, and can easily show structure. She also has good potential for action poses. Definitely study how Glen Keane draws hair, especially in Tangled (http://livlily.blogspot.ca/2011/11/t...-rapunzel.html). If you can get that hair nicely structured I think it will be a great focus feature for her. I'll save more critique when you come back with secondary sketches.

Also, I can't believe I didn't link you guys the Living Lines Library: http://livlily.blogspot.ca/
    It's a cornucopia of production drawings and pencil tests for a large amount of animated movies and tv shows.

ALSO ALSO, for further motivation, here's a podcast that's run by two Sheridan animation graduates: http://guyswithpencils.tumblr.com/
    They have a real Canadian view on the industry which is so refreshing.

Last edited by OfficialLamp; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the critique! Not sure how I missed that leg, will fix it tomorrow.

Uh, cept Offical. The proportions aren't off, so much as I've exaggerated them for the character, its not suppose to have realistic proportions. Sure it has to function, but I'm pretty sure the structure is sound there. Though I do agree that the hair needs work, I wanted it to have a softness flowly(not so much spikey) type of look and it doesn't come off, I'll play around with it. I'm not sure what you mean by 3d form. Can you expound?

Great links too, adding them to first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    @kamikazel33t - He's looking much better, but still has a way to go! Jermmgirl did an excellent fix, so I don't have much to critique on. Let's see a side view, now!

@Dunnstar - He mainly has proportional issues. His forearms are super long, head a bit big, and his left side leg is too thin. Although there is some 3D form, it feels pressed down and not taken to the full extent. I also think the hair needs more thought. Even short hair clumps together and moves in directions: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-YOK6-hJ5k...drawing+47.png

@kawaiixdesu - I surprisingly like the surfer girl the best. She's simple, appealing, and can easily show structure. She also has good potential for action poses. Definitely study how Glen Keane draws hair, especially in Tangled (http://livlily.blogspot.ca/2011/11/t...-rapunzel.html). If you can get that hair nicely structured I think it will be a great focus feature for her. I'll save more critique when you come back with secondary sketches.

Also, I can't believe I didn't link you guys the Living Lines Library: http://livlily.blogspot.ca/
    It's a cornucopia of production drawings and pencil tests for a large amount of animated movies and tv shows.

ALSO ALSO, for further motivation, here's a podcast that's run by two Sheridan animation graduates: http://guyswithpencils.tumblr.com/
    They have a real Canadian view on the industry which is so refreshing.
    Your links you post are amazingly helpful!
    I also like the surfer girl I actually started doing new drawings! I'm so pumped about drawing hair its hilarious xD Thanks! I hope the next one will be pleasant for the eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heheh, hi justin! hi meaghan!

If any of you fellows want my help, I can help too!~

michysoong.deviantart.com

The most important thing for any part of this portfolio is the ability to show structure, to make it look volumetric and 3-dimensional. Don't make circles, make them spheres. Spheres, cylinders, rectangles all help show volume, like the draw over Meaghan made (jermmgirl)

Also, jodie! i like the surfer girl the best. it's the safest choice so you don't need to worry about how the clothes hang over the character's body. it's one less headache to worry about!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MichySoong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided on this character from my earlier selections. I'm refining the construction of her, right now there's not much attitude in this character, it's pure blue print. I won't use this pose 4 the final rotation, but as a reference maybe? please critique!

dunnstar: your character has a lot of personality, but the structure of the legs need work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kawaiixdesu View Post
    I don't have under structure but theyre just quick rough sketches so you guys can see some of my work! critique away ^_^

Name:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.28 AM.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  141.4 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.27 AM #2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  150.4 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM #4.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  163.5 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM #3.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  151.7 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.26 AM.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  128.1 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-22 at 11.24 AM.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  126.1 KB

I like the one with the pony tail that one has a lot of volume and form and the pose gives it more character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @denaliah - She's looking fairly well structured. Our characters have a similar body type and to tell you the truth, I'm struggling with the action poses. There's something about the ball hip that makes the character difficult to pose dynamically. You may want to try a few out before going any further, I'm thinking about changing characters.

*Edit* Thinking of drawing my character with more curved shapes to make her more pose-able and dynamic.
    Name:  Photo0214.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  104.9 KB
    Do you guys think this will work better?

Last edited by OfficialLamp; November 24th, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would make it easier to really make her dynamic but you will also have to take into consideration how changing her shape might affect how people perceive her. I actually do feel it will work better as you played your cards right because the shapes you have used gave her an innocent looking feel but then another glance at the eyes shows deviousness which allows her zombie slayer side to be revealed or actions relating to such would be plausible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone I hope you don't mind me joining you in this journey.
    I'm applying to both animation and illustration, with animation as my first choice.

@OfficialLamp I think the overall curved structure is a good idea, compared to the previous one with the angular shoulders, the new design is more harmonious. Be sure to show structure of the legs even though they are covered by the skirt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is for Dunnstar.
    Name:  hand1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  390.6 KB
    So, first of all: do not cut off the hand, make sure to show a good portion of the wrist, but not the whole arm. Your finger joints look really detached from each other and the hand. The proportion is not bad. The fingernails also don't look very attached to the fingertips maybe because if you look at the fingertips, the transition between your skin and the nail is not a straight transition, but there is a dip in the skin right before the nail. I tried to mimic my hand to yours, but its a little off. Also the space between the thumb and forefinger isn't as far back and there is a "break" in the line, its not just one continuous line. Hope this helps! Hands are hard and even mine are off. Your process and block in is good too.

Name:  hand2.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  337.6 KB
    *first I wanted to play around with this more but my tablet was being stupid* So this one was a little harder because the proportion of the duck to the hand was a little off. In your drawing, the size of the ducks middle in order for the fingers to be that close together would have to be very small, so I went with the very small middle to try to mimic your hand. In your drawing, it looks like the middle part of the duck is behind the palm, when really it should be in front because the skin looks like it is folding over the duck. The thumb also looked really high and the wrist was really bendy looking. Anyway, I like the position of the fingers that you did on top of the duck because they followed the contour of the outside of the duck. If you want to make the duck bigger in the middle, then the fingertips would be farther away from the thumb. Sooo I hope this helps!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jermmgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much jermmgirl. the hand felt so off (especially in the first one) didn't know how to fix it. Now I do.

As for it being sunday! I have my character drawings done and I'll post em up before the day is done. (everyone else reading, if you just have doodles and stuff done, please share em anyways!)

Edit: Scratch that, not in the mood to fix my emotional scanner. will try again tomorrow!

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 25th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I did a second simple turn around. Scanned terribly.
    Name:  turnaround.png
Views: 410
Size:  571.0 KB
    Just don't mention the arms, I already know they need to be redone.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62