2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found this thread while looking up more info on Sheridan Portfolios for 2013 (I'm busting my butt on it). I would really love to join this endeavour with deadlines and get feedback from others. I've been jumping all over the place with mine and constantly redrawing things, but I think a second opinion would really help.

Oh and I know the professor you are talking about Dunstarr. He was my Imaging Systems teachers in Art Fundamentals last year. He also teaches first year animation. I am really kicking myself for missing portfolio day.

Anyways, here is one hand drawing so far. I tend to have a weak spot in line quality and proportion. This one is a clean up version of the first draft.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermmgirl View Post
    Would it be helpful if I took a snap shot of your guys' hand drawings and drew over them to point out corrections? If so, you would have to give me 2 days because I have some due dates tomorrow and Tuesday that I need to finish first
    Yea I'd totally love that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uggggh, scanning is such a headache! Why blue, whyyyy? No matter how much I change the levels, brightness, contrast, or whatever, I can't get the lines to show. So I took crappy webcam pictures instead.
    Name:  haaands.png
Views: 461
Size:  570.7 KB
    Critique if you can, it's kind of blurry.
    *EDIT* Wow. Just realized I drew the match facing the wrong direction in the first drawing. Wonderful!

Last edited by OfficialLamp; November 19th, 2012 at 03:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  IMG01359-20121119-0331.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  211.0 KB
    Hi lamp, I'm a terrible critiquer (so I posted a pic) and I normally don't critique but I'm procrastinating aha.
    I tried to make my hand do the first pose as hard as I could but I couldn't hold the item without having my thumb straight like that, I wonder if its just my hand? xP The palm could be a little longer as well.

*Edit* omg.. first post on the page lol adsgdfghfh

Please visit me at http://jipai.deviantart.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jipai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are totally correct with the grip, I originally held it up at this angle:
    Name:  HNI_0055.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  105.3 KB
    But then I dropped the toothpick as I held the pose. When I drew it back in I, very carelessly, drew it at a different angle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique Lamp. Yours is looking much better too but rely on foreshortening more, it'll really give your hand that movement. I can't help but feel like that thumb in the last pose should be really PUSHING into the match, you would need the added tension after lightning a match right? Like so.
    Name:  lamp1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  47.1 KB

Kamil I did yours already so nothing else to add.

Jipai I would love to see something from you too.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 19th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys sorry for the delayed updates etc. I'm having some trouble with perspective and need some guidance on my sketches. I'll upload what I have tonight and hope I can get a critique in by t/m.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Which parts of the character work should we work on next, rotation, faces or action poses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Which parts of the character work should we work on next, rotation, faces or action poses?

I have some concepts and brainstorms of my character as well as influential art that helped me to make it that I can upload. I say we should work on rotating the basic layout of the character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rotation first would be best. Get the design first, then worry about the poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basic rotation (back and front)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketches

here are my sketches and roughs for my room drawings and my character brainstorms

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where you're going with the character. An animal seems like a good choice for you and the one with the hat and scarf could be super appealing if you tighten it up. Your biggest issue is getting those feature to fit right on the forms. Do you have any toys of cartoon characters? John K. advocates drawing toys as a way of understanding 3D construction. I've got a Luigi figurine that helps me out:
    Name:  Snapshot_20121119.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  116.6 KB
    Just being able to hold it up and turn it around is a great asset.
    Also be careful of the plane he's standing on. Some of the bears have one foot jutting out further then the others.

For the room I think you should experiment with placing the vanishing points out further. It will distort the shapes less and make it feel more natural. Your windows are also different sizes. Do you know how to find the center point of a rectangle in perspective? Basically, you just draw an "X" between the corners and where they meet is the center http://landscapelearner.files.wordpr...erspcentre.jpg. Keep doing that and you'll have perfectly spaced windows!
    Long way to go on this one, so I'll refrain from any further critique until you draw more of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, since Dunnstar asked for something I drew a couple hands I'm so jelly of you guys who are so good at structure! I suck at it lol.
    Name:  hand2.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  258.3 KBName:  hand1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  246.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That second hand might be lacking the visible structure that some of us put in our drawings, but it's really convincing. Increase the 3D form, especially in the thumb area, and I think that could get a good mark. For the first hand, you may want to count your fingers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol okay. Aha I knowww my first hand looks so weird, Couldn't get it to look right at that angle x_x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys I was just wondering what kind of line quality or linework is sheridan looking for and how can I improve my line quality or at least clean up my lines a bit more. >_< What I am doing now is whenever I catch my self making broken strokes I erase it and do it all in one stroke but normally this is because of uncertainty on how I want to shape the object is whats causing these broken lines so I feel the practice of erasing it and doing it in one swoop is a little redundant.

I feel like I am at a dead end with the character I am making and I am thinking of using one of my old OC and redesign and draw him in a more simplified manner

I hope he is not too generic >_<, and I guess I will try to start a new character development from scratch I am thinking of making a literal internet pirate, re-using my old OC is going be my last resort I guess?

@Jipai how do you approach drawing your hand from life? are you trying to follow the lines you see, use negative space, or are you trying to break it down into shapes(cylinders boxes and such).

I am actually really jelly of you >_< you seem to capture the organic qualities of the hand which I find a little hard to do.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 20th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jipai:
    It's looking good, the 2nd one is working very well, you have a nice as kamil puts it 'organic' feel with your line quality. Look at getting structure in there and I don't see why you wont get a good mark.

Kamil: Yeah he does feel generic. work with him a little, see if you can give him some flair and lots of letters on a t shirt is a no no for animation.

Nickels: I agree with lamp, a polar bear with a scarf and a hat is the beginning of a decent character design. push forward, re-draw, enlarge his head (or shrink his body) and try different things.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol Kamil don't be jellyy! I actually have very sketchy lines too (been doing it for years and now its hard to suddenly fix..) Try using a blue pencil underneath and see if it helps you hehe.

Last edited by Jipai; December 5th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! I think I am going somewhere with the flair thing for Hannibal! It's still a first attempt though! I also made another hand sketch to try a different approach to constructing it especially how I wanted to practice the palmer side as that is where I have most difficulty with, I actually find the dorsal side of the hand to be a lot easier I guess it is because of all that "padding" on the palmer side of the hand. I apologize for the quality I am really running out of clean paper, the hand drawing was done on a sketch paper which already had a drawing which I thought was just a waste of space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some character designs, still struggling with deciding which one I should take further

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm doing a loft and im getting my inspiration for angles from these two rooms here

Should I add more ceiling? I check the vanishing points on those two and there not far; one is close to the outside the other is a bit in the inside of the photo.

http://www.bartleylofts.com/images/l...t-View---1.jpg

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=...,r:2,s:0,i:141

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok heres my new version with the right vanishing point out further also need some help with the placement of character. Should I make him smaller?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t - hands are looking better. Make the rope tighter when it's being pulled and there will be a lot more energy in the action. You seem to draw hands super wide, it might be your actual hands, but try to make the palm less bulky.
    Your character needs a lot of revisions. You're using too many angular shapes and the clothing isn't matching what the under structure should be. You're trying to put in a lot of detail when it isn't necessary. Keep drawing him and take out the unnecessary lines.

@denaliah - The pear shape of the librarian is good, I like that. Yin has some very unappealing proportions (his head is huge, his torso is long, but his legs are short). The girl character is looking like a good bet too, but she could use some more shapes in her body. She's very rectangular and boring right now.
    The third dog I think is the best out of all of the characters you posted. Good personality, simple construction, and no distracting details. The biggest challenge here is getting that snout in proper 3D form. It may be a neat exercise to mold that head shape out of clay and turn it around a bit.

@Nickels - Beware of photography. Lens choices really fuck with perspective and wide shots will place vanishing point in different places. Take an empty frame and look through it at a room in your house. Note how far apart the points are.
    Cameras are tricky stuff: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0...el_Reynaud.gif

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  gloria2.png
Views: 450
Size:  1.10 MB
    First pass turn around. Side view needs some tweaking. And note to self, Red shows up much better than blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    @kamikazel33t - hands are looking better. Make the rope tighter when it's being pulled and there will be a lot more energy in the action. You seem to draw hands super wide, it might be your actual hands, but try to make the palm less bulky.
    Your character needs a lot of revisions. You're using too many angular shapes and the clothing isn't matching what the under structure should be. You're trying to put in a lot of detail when it isn't necessary. Keep drawing him and take out the unnecessary lines.

@denaliah - The pear shape of the librarian is good, I like that. Yin has some very unappealing proportions (his head is huge, his torso is long, but his legs are short). The girl character is looking like a good bet too, but she could use some more shapes in her body. She's very rectangular and boring right now.
    The third dog I think is the best out of all of the characters you posted. Good personality, simple construction, and no distracting details. The biggest challenge here is getting that snout in proper 3D form. It may be a neat exercise to mold that head shape out of clay and turn it around a bit.

@Nickels - Beware of photography. Lens choices really fuck with perspective and wide shots will place vanishing point in different places. Take an empty frame and look through it at a room in your house. Note how far apart the points are.
    Cameras are tricky stuff: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0...el_Reynaud.gif
    Thanks, when u say the third dog, you mean the slightly evil looking short one?

for your rotation, the torso is best looks like you out more thought in to it. the hands look a bit too small, but I'm not sure if that's a stylistic choice. the length of the skirt in the side view is a tad to long. the shoulder is crooked on the back view

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love these characters! they're so whimsical :3
    Also, just a heads up guys for anyone in the toronto area who wants a critic on their work or portfolio once more. Labyrinth in Toronto is having a massive art supply and book sale and theres going to be a guy by the name of R.B.White and hes a character designer in the animation industry. He has offered to look at sketchbooks and portfolios so be sure to attend if you need the critique or more supplies . Heres the email:

This coming Sunday, November 25th will be our 2nd Annual ART BOOK DAY.

The event will take place at our Toronto Store at 386 Bloor Street West!

This is a chance for you to pick up all sorts of interesting books at or below our cost !!!

Recently we have gotten tons of new sketchbooks, animation books and import art books which require us to find space to display them. So to make space, we are BLOWING OUT many older, last copy and overstock titles!!!

You save money, we create space! It's Win-Win for both of us!

Please help us make this day a success. Tell your friends, co-workers and classmates about this day!

Come together and increase your chances of winning a cool Prize Pack!

FREE DRAW for a cool PRIZE PACK OF BOOKS valued at $150.
    -Everyone gets one free draw ticket just for coming in!
    -Get another ticket for every $25 you spend on any art books!
    - Bring a friend and when you both buy art books, you both get DOUBLE EXTRA draw tickets (2 for every $25 spent)!
    - Must be at least 12 years old to enter.

FREE SIGNED FRANK CHO 2013 CALENDER to the first 40 customers to buy art books on ART BOOK DAY.
    We also have some mini Scottie Young prints you could choose instead!

DEAL 1
    Find hundreds of books in our center aisle - pick any 7 for $70 or 4 for $60.
    If you get less than 4, it is US cover price. Additional copies are $15 when not in a group lot.

DEAL 2
    Buy One, Get One Free - Look through boxes at the front of the shop, featuring BOGO DEALS.
    Yes, buy one, get the 2nd one FREE! 2nd book must be of equal or lesser value to the first one.

BONUS DEAL
    Collect rewards on all regular priced books, but as a BONUS, earn a FREE GIFT BOOK when you spend over $110 on any combination of sale and regular books.

Spend $110-299 (including at least 1 reward worthy book) and pick an extra free book from a special selection of 4 books. These are great books valued at $25-50!

Spend over $300 and the Free Bonus Book selection rises to 8 books you can choose from (with values up to $80)!!!

You can check out the FREE GIFT BOOKS, near the counter when you come in on ART BOOK DAY.

ARTIST SIGNING!!!
    Artist R.B.White, featured in illustration books like Exotique, Expose and ImagineFX, and who is also a character designer working in animation, will be at our store to sign books and also critique your portfolios and sketchbooks!

He'll be here from 11:30 until 2:30!

You can check out his website here:
    rbwhiteart.blogspot.ca

In order to give our full attention to this special event, the Oakville store will be closed on Sunday Nov 25th!
    We invite our Oakville customers to come out for this event!

If you are a GO TRAIN commuter from Oakville, we will credit you the cost of the train one way -with any purchase over $35 when you bring in your ticket on this day!

FREE PARKING - if you are driving, expect to find tons of Free Parking on most of the side streets in the area.
    Just check the signs to see if its Free 1 hour or Free All-Day parking.

We got lots of great artbooks in recently! So drop by and check them out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh how I wish I could be in the Toronto area. I adore Vancouver to pieces (seriously, it's the best place) but it would make this process so much easier. Also just the advantage of showing originals in person over sending in photocopies in the mail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Oh how I wish I could be in the Toronto area. I adore Vancouver to pieces (seriously, it's the best place) but it would make this process so much easier. Also just the advantage of showing originals in person over sending in photocopies in the mail.
    Haha, for me its the same! I would love to see the Vancouver especially because of that pixar studio! it really would make it easier if you were down here, you'd probably hate toronto after a while lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow just being in Vancouver is hard? I guess it is going to be hell of a bumpy road for me since I live in the Middle East! xD
    I just wanted to say that I've finished my second revision of Hannibal, I've tightened him up and rounded him out a bit. I also wanted to try a more top-heavy look as that is closer to the original Hannibal's look. I think I am coming closer and closer to a more appealing character (Once again excuse me for the lined paper I am going to the art store tomorrow.)

@denaliah I really like the pear shaped librarian I think it is because of how you did it assymetrically

@OfficialLamp thanks for the critique, I see you are getting a more 3 dimensional understanding of your character, the only thing I am not sure of is the symmetry of your character(still not sure), I was reading a book called Force: Dynamic Life Drawing For Animators and I found a pretty useful section on something called forceful shapes that gave me a great insight on designing characters with shapes. I hope I don't get into a lot of trouble taking a screeny of a page which I think might be useful to you >_<

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 21st, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast