2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww darn, I can't make portfolio day tmr I don't suppose any of you guys would be willing to show my pieces to portfolio day for me? Like printing a few out/ bringing your laptop with the links? Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Aww darn, I can't make portfolio day tmr I don't suppose any of you guys would be willing to show my pieces to portfolio day for me? Like printing a few out/ bringing your laptop with the links? Thanks
    If I too weren't able to attend (about 4,300km between me and the school, heh) I totally would.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Last year a bunch of animation students helped me with my portfolio and I want to pay it forward.
    If you want feedback on your portfolio you can add me on Skype ("justin...chan") or facebook (https://www.facebook.com/justinchans).
    I don't update my blogspot (2ndwave) anymore and use Tumblr instead (http://justinchan.tumblr.com/).

Maybe I'll see some of you guys tommorow, I think I will be at the school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBoy View Post
    Hey guys,

Last year a bunch of animation students helped me with my portfolio and I want to pay it forward.
    If you want feedback on your portfolio you can add me on Skype ("justin...chan") or facebook (https://www.facebook.com/justinchans).
    I don't update my blogspot (2ndwave) anymore and use Tumblr instead (http://justinchan.tumblr.com/).

Maybe I'll see some of you guys tommorow, I think I will be at the school
    Great stuff you've already done some cool stuff even though your still first year! I'll add you on facebook, I'd love to get feedback from an awesome artist like you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you guys would kindly, could i get some feedback on what to focus on with my life drawings I made a couple(still using photo reference >_<). From what I could tell I need to work more on balance and weight distribution, correct me if I am wrong and if there is anything you would like to add?

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 16th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have fun with your portfolio reviews! Hopefully you get a good prof to review your stuff.
    The first year illustration students have a table in either the B wing or C wing beside the learning commons. We're fundraising for our anthology project, you should totally stop by and chat with the first years there (also donate winkwink)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t - One thing teachers have told me is to not bother with shadows in your portfolio if you can't do them extremely well. Obviously, you should still practice that, but when choosing your final pieces it may be something you want to leave out.
    Also, make your construction lines more apparent. Reviewers emphasize that so much.

I've started to design my character that I'm going to use. I also plan to use her in some of my personal pieces. I suggest you guys start that too, as the more time you give these characters to incubate the better.
    Name:  GLoria.png
Views: 427
Size:  154.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp Thanks for the suggestion, I already knew that rendering should not be shown in the portfolio I just wanted to see how a more render look would suit the figure. I was wondering whether or not you could offer insight on what I could really improve with my figures? For your character I really suggest experimenting with shapes as amanda mentioned on her blog, as it is really essential to get those shapes which really defines the personality of your character. What I can "read" from your character so far is that she seems like a mischievous assistant? I was only able to read this from the expression but I feel you need to emphasize this in your design of the character because the round face in the painted picture gives her a really friendly look as opposed to mischievous. I feel that my mind does not really feel the appeal of the torso(short triangle) and how it is combined to the hip(large circle) not sure if it applies to everybody though.

For character design there are a lot of great resources I felt Michael Mattesi's Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators was really helpful especially the chapter on forceful shapes. I suggest you also study the shapes of characters which portray different personalities from popular animations, I felt like I learn something by looking at how the combination of shapes gave off a certain personality.

I've also been constantly trying to doodle character to get one completely incubated but so far I am not really liking the results of my most incubated character.

I felt like my most recent sketch of her was unappealing and it just gives me disgust , I am thinking of giving her head a less rounded design and try to emphasize a little more of the cheek bones? I am also a little stuck on approaching the body form. I am thinking of writing a story about her to get my design a little more focused.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 17th, 2012 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh right, I guess including things about her might help you guys critique her design. She is an average office drone, working in a cubicle and pushing paper all day. However, Gloria Higgins has a hobby. All her life she's been preparing for one very unlikely event, zombie outbreak.
    So that is her before the zombie mayhem starts. When it does, and she jumps into action, she can be her real self: a zombie slaying hero. Obviously, as the story progresses her appearance changes to match her growing character. First thing that changes is she rips her pencil skirt up the side for better movement, which also gives her that confident female hero in a dress type look.

@kamikazel33t - I think you need to make her a lot more simplified. Higher detail will just make it more difficult for you. She's got a Stewie Griffin head which is actually kind of complicated when you try to position the features on her face. Is she old or young? If she's a young character, the eye line should be lower on the face. Is she some sort of magical creature? I noticed she has odd ears, and her legs are very out of proportion to the rest of her body (possibly on purpose?). I think looking at Chihiro from Spirited Away might give you a better idea of proportioning your character: http://livlily.blogspot.ca/2012/04/s...design_22.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I am a first year animation student also, and I know I asked tons of questions when I was making my portfolio! So if you guys would like me to help you with anything, go ahead because I don't mind! However, I don't come on concept art that often because I find it hard to navigate on here. If you want to ask me questions or get feedback, deviantart is the most prefered method, but I will give you all my sites:
    Deviantart: http://jermmgirl.deviantart.com/
    Tumblr: http://jermmgirl.tumblr.com/
    Blogspot: http://jermmgirl.blogspot.ca/

Good Luck on Portfolios!
    here is mine btw (I got a 3.63: http://jermmgirl.blogspot.ca/2012/03...fall-2012.html )

Last edited by Jermmgirl; November 17th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatzzz up everyone.

Just got home a long trip to portfolio day. I got really good advice, they dont want rulers in the room drawings, they definitely don't give a crap about it being from 'real life'. Also, he said and I'll quote "your the first one (today) that I can say your chances of getting in our strong". Which means I gotta keep pushing of course. He said my sketchbook stuff were way stronger than the crap i put in my portfolio, he says I'm sweating line quality too much and its needs a more organic, holistic approach. Anyways enough of my blathering.

Sunday hand drawings are still due.

Also, I should mention, especially to you Offical, that the Portfolio Workshop is doing "gesture character designs' every day for 12 days. On their Facebook starting nov 19th. it seems like a great excuse to practice and come up with new things. I was gonna suggest it for next week since it lines up perfectly but Denaliah wants to do storyboards. So I don't know. I think it would be cool if we all gave it a shot.

Riceboy, BeenaMisty and Jermagirl I'm really honoured that you guys are willing to give us some tips and I plan to really to use it when I can. If I do get in, I will definitely return the favour.
    Justin Chan expect a facebook message tomorrow, its MLP time!

Cheers everyone!

Critiques
    --------------------------------
    Offical: ditch the digital stuff. Digital stuff for just inital sketches really sucks out the personality.
    Kamil: Uh, proportion is a bit wonky, especially in the arms and legs. And what the hell! you arent drawing the feet or hands. You must must make the effort to do that. I would start really making an effort to improve and sharpen your lines. It's now or never. I mean if it was just you learning, I would leave it to last, but you gotta get everything up to par by March. So practice everythin.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 18th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Whatzzz up everyone.

Just got home a long trip to portfolio day. I got really good advice, they dont want rulers in the room drawings, they definitely don't give a crap about it being from 'real life'. Also, he said and I'll quote "your the first one (today) that I can say your chances of getting in our strong". Which means I gotta keep pushing of course. He said my sketchbook stuff were way stronger than the crap i put in my portfolio, he says I'm sweating line quality too much and its needs a more organic, holistic approach. Anyways enough of my blathering.

Also, I should mention, especially to you Offical, that the Portfolio Workshop is doing "gesture character designs' every day for 12 days. On their Facebook starting nov 19th. it seems like a great excuse to practice and come up with new things. I was gonna suggest it for next week since it lines up perfectly but Denaliah wants to do storyboards. So I don't know. I think it would be cool if we all gave it a shot.

Riceboy, BeenaMisty and Jermagirl I'm really honoured that you guys are willing to give us some tips and I plan to abuse the hell out of it. If I do get in, I will definitely return the favour.

Cheers everyone!

Critiques
    Offical: ditch the digital stuff. Digital stuff for just inital sketches really sucks out the personality.
    Kamil: Uh, proportion is a bit wonky, especially in the arms and legs. And what the hell! you arent drawing the feet or hands. You must must make the effort to do that. I would start really making an effort to improve and sharpen your lines. It's now or never. I mean if it was just you learning, I would leave it to last, but you gotta get everything up to par by March. So practice everythin.
    I'm ok with gesture character designs or storyboards, either way. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's hands tmr!

And yes definitely a big thanks to all the sheridan people who are willing to help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatzzz up everyone.

Riceboy, BeenaMisty and Jermagirl I'm really honoured that you guys are willing to give us some tips and I plan to abuse the hell out of it. If I do get in, I will definitely return the favour.

Cheers everyone!

Critiques
    Thats good to hear, their feedback is so valuable >w<
    Riceboy, BeenaMisty and Jermagirl, I'll definitely be talking to you more especially Jermagirl who I have yet to meet at school!

Dunnstar, I struggle very much with line quality but in school theyre teaching us how to overcome it. Its kind of interesting to know how we learn different methods to do the same things but of course, I wish you all the luck with your portfolio! and same to everyone else in the forum! let's do our best . Ill be posting all the stuff I feel behind in during this week since I have less homework. I hope Ill get it all on here quick!

Also, Dunnstar I'd love to hear more about your experiences today with the sheridan teachers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It makes me super mad that I have to send in photocopies for this. My construction lines just don't scan at all, I guess I'll have to draw in a different color than blue. :/

Anyways, got some quick hands done. They look really similar to my ones last year, I just don't know what to do with them: Name:  hands2.png
Views: 395
Size:  175.9 KB
    Have at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OfficialLamp you could always play with levels a little and clean it up to show construct lines a little more, I did it so that I could critique it a little better. Here is what I've thought of it so far.

The reason why I felt the way you posed your hand was a little unnatural was how you bunched your fingers together, you made it seem as if the action requires the use of the other two fingers while all it need was three so you need to show the other two fingers to be more relaxed, in the action follow through it seems as though the hand is too relaxed for a reflex action(hand immediately dropping the remains of the match after getting burnt). normally when a reflex action occurs the signal is sent by your spinal cord and not your brain so the accuracy of movement is more urgent and less accurate in your pose I felt it was also a bit too relaxed.

Here is how I thought the pose could be improved but this is just my opinion.

but then again the match is a small object and normally with an object as small as a match I would naturally just use two fingers to grip it.
    If you want the construction lines to show even more you need to scan at a higher resolution for your portfolio. If all else fails try to go to a professional place for your final portfolio and have them scan it for you making a note to manipulate the document so that everything perfectly shows.

@Dunnstar Well the character drawing was almost a sort of a doodle I am still directionless on proportioning her body so I was sort of playing with, because she was so butt ugly to draw I completely redesigned her. I guess I should brainstorm the character as a whole rather than just thinking of the head first then have a headache later thinking of the design and proportions of the body.

Here is the redesign, it is a crappy image which I will replace within the next sketchbook update I already have an idea on how to design less "wonky" and more appealing proportions to the character redesign. Her name is Sclera btw :3
    Name:  UQBZT-A1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  19.2 KB

Last edited by kamikazel33t; November 20th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OfficialLamp: For the second drawing, the middle finger looks too thin compared to the index, the forearm I think needs to be more rounded and 3D looking, it looks a bit flat. For the first hand, the lower part of the thumb is a bit long.

Last edited by denaliah; November 18th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to denaliah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys. Good turnout this Sunday.
    Here is my submission. critiques will be in the next post.
    UPDATED (BLUE LINES ONLY) critique still welcomed!

Name:  hand5.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  200.6 KB
    Name:  hand4.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  184.7 KB

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 18th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Offical lamp:
    Your fingers and thumb are getting too long and lanky, the middle is the longest but that never really shows. I would try and cut down on unnecessary lines. Kamil goes in detail with what is off. I agree with most of his points. Compared to your one before, this isn't as good. Not sure why. I would spend abit more time measuring and comparing to get the proportion just right. Maybe draw hands lighting a match for more dynacism.

Denaliah:
    Your holding the toothpick jar abit unnaturally, play around with the pose abit. Other than that, structure and proportion seem right on

Kamil: I dont see enough to really give a fair critique. I want to see some pleasing shapes though, not generic elf girl.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you see someone wearing a neon green jacket through the pit (I think thats what its called) then its me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, you guys are making me feel super self conscious about my lanky hands and giant upper thumb.

critques:
    @denaliah - It's looking real good, I'm sure they're going to like 'em if you keep drawing them like these. In the first one, the middle finger fails to meet back up with itself when it goes behind the ring finger and the space between the pinkie and ring finger seems, awkward? I'm sure that's probably correct in observation, but it looks like a tangent is forming and it flattens them.
    For the second, the knuckles are too smooth and uniform. Maybe I just have bony knuckles, but I can't find an angle where they meld like that. It doesn't look like you're gripping the jar very well. It's sitting right on your fingertips while the first one had more of a grip.

@Dunnstar - Ha, your blues aren't scanning just like mine. Anyways, the way you're drawing the lines makes the form seem really chunky. A drawing teacher of mine would have loved this kind of linework, but he doesn't quite have the same criteria as animation teachers. The second hands are too rough. I'm not quite seeing how the fingers are folding in the left hand, and some of your nails don't feel attached (drawing longer nails seems more difficult).
    There also isn't much movement going on in the action. Give that left hand a good twist opposite to the other to emphasize the movement.

I think denaliah has the right idea of how to approach the hands. Keeping it all blue looks more effective then the hard lines me and Dunnstar are using. I might do another tonight after work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Haha, you guys are making me feel super self conscious about my lanky hands and giant upper thumb.

critques:
    @denaliah - It's looking real good, I'm sure they're going to like 'em if you keep drawing them like these. In the first one, the middle finger fails to meet back up with itself when it goes behind the ring finger and the space between the pinkie and ring finger seems, awkward? I'm sure that's probably correct in observation, but it looks like a tangent is forming and it flattens them.
    For the second, the knuckles are too smooth and uniform. Maybe I just have bony knuckles, but I can't find an angle where they meld like that. It doesn't look like you're gripping the jar very well. It's sitting right on your fingertips while the first one had more of a grip.

@Dunnstar - Ha, your blues aren't scanning just like mine. Anyways, the way you're drawing the lines makes the form seem really chunky. A drawing teacher of mine would have loved this kind of linework, but he doesn't quite have the same criteria as animation teachers. The second hands are too rough. I'm not quite seeing how the fingers are folding in the left hand, and some of your nails don't feel attached (drawing longer nails seems more difficult).
    There also isn't much movement going on in the action. Give that left hand a good twist opposite to the other to emphasize the movement.

I think denaliah has the right idea of how to approach the hands. Keeping it all blue looks more effective then the hard lines me and Dunnstar are using. I might do another tonight after work.
    Yeah, I'm thinkin that too, I'll might scan blues than hard lines too and compare. Thanks for the critique, good luck. I want to see your other hand drawing too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My whole portfolio was blue lines so its okay if you guys don't want to clean with pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBoy View Post
    My whole portfolio was blue lines so its okay if you guys don't want to clean with pencil
    Oh really? sweet! I kind of felt obligated. Alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by kawaiixdesu View Post
    Thats good to hear, their feedback is so valuable >w<
    Riceboy, BeenaMisty and Jermagirl, I'll definitely be talking to you more especially Jermagirl who I have yet to meet at school!

Dunnstar, I struggle very much with line quality but in school theyre teaching us how to overcome it. Its kind of interesting to know how we learn different methods to do the same things but of course, I wish you all the luck with your portfolio! and same to everyone else in the forum! let's do our best . Ill be posting all the stuff I feel behind in during this week since I have less homework. I hope Ill get it all on here quick!

Also, Dunnstar I'd love to hear more about your experiences today with the sheridan teachers
    Oh! Sorry I missed this post. I hope you can catch up.
    As for what the professor said.
    1. I'm to avoid that whole "go over your sketch and make lines darker" I was stressing it too much, he wants it to be apart of the drawing process. A "hollistic" process is how he put it.
    2. Keep character designs simple.
    3. play around and really have fun with character. keep emotes varied and unique.
    4. He gave me some general perspective tips, avoid ruler, make it freehand, also draw one object use it to keep everything inbalanced. try and establish vp points extra
    5. My life drawing is stronger so he didn't give me any advice on that. sorry.

That's all he said really. his name was Mark.. if that means anything. He had a bit of an accent, not too noticable but.. well there.

Updated my hand drawings i'll keep old ones on my blog as some sort of "museum of my failure"

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 18th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next week I think we should kick off our character designs. 7 days isn't the most generous amount to develop a character but I think its a great idea to get us thinking about it.

APW is running some sort of public gesture-character design thing, great excuse to get us thinking about design in new and sexy ways.
    The gestures will be posted here and on their Facebook page

You can share your creation on their facebook page or by email.
    customerservice@animationportfolioworkshop.com

Offical website is here.

Next Sunday (Nov. 25th) I would love to see a basic premise done from everyone. Happy drawing everyone.

-----------------------------
    At this pace we should have rough work for all of the sections by the end of November.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 18th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys. Good turnout this Sunday.
    Here is my submission. critiques will be in the next post.
    UPDATED (BLUE LINES ONLY) critique still welcomed!

Name:  hand5.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  200.6 KB
    Name:  hand4.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  184.7 KB
    second drawing is very believable, but I feel the arm is too thin, the fingers in both look too bony.

For the character next week, should we do the expressions, rotation or action sheets?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks D! I see what you mean by the bony fingers, I'll go over and slim, and believe it or not I do actually have a very thin arm (lol) you can see my ulna bone protruding like some sort of maligant tumor but I'll thicken that up for believability.

Well, a simplfied Rotation sheet (back and front) with a few rough expressions(neutral, happy, sad) should be enough to "feel" the character. If that's too much for anyone, just a front shot, rough or sketchy so we can get an idea. This part is really important in the portfolio process, so we really wanna get something down as early as possible for revision. We can do action poses the following week if anything? But right now I think we should get a premise down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I think you missed out on my hand D:, most probably because it is on the page before so I am going to repost.

Top is from Right to Left
    Bottom is from Left to Right sorry about the disorganization!

@Dunnstar I think that your wrist seems off almost stylized like. That is all I notice so far, I will post redline corrections for the rest of you two and an even more detailed critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunnstar - That's looking tons better as just blue line! The first one is stronger, not anything to say about it. The second has a really thin middle of the thumb and the wrist is far too noodle-y. The duck is not consistent between the two, mostly in the beak, but that's not really the focus.

@kamikazel33t - Oh, totally missed yours! In the first pair, I'm not quite sure of the action going on. A more dynamic change would be better. There's also a few consistency issues. The first looks better than the curvy, bubble-like, second one. The wrist seems to be shrinking! You were probably going for some foreshortening, but you made it too extreme and it just looks thin. The nails are a real weak point. Try drawing just the figure tips first, then wrapping the nails around the form.

I like the action you chose for the second pair. But I feel you could have twisted the hand up more so that you can see the palm as it flips the paper. Your poor finger appears to be broken! I know that a pressed finger is a great shape to draw, but it's also more difficult to make look natural. The hand is also pretty stiff and bony.
    For the second, the thumb is much too long and you've removed the skin webbing between the thumb and index finger. Other than that, get some nice flipping paper drawn in and it could be a cool piece to include.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would it be helpful if I took a snap shot of your guys' hand drawings and drew over them to point out corrections? If so, you would have to give me 2 days because I have some due dates tomorrow and Tuesday that I need to finish first

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermmgirl View Post
    Would it be helpful if I took a snap shot of your guys' hand drawings and drew over them to point out corrections? If so, you would have to give me 2 days because I have some due dates tomorrow and Tuesday that I need to finish first
    That would be absolutely fantastic! I might have another hand drawing up, so make mine the last one. And of course, worry about your own studies first, haha.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62