2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The deadline is a great idea guys, really helped push me.

Duunstar: I'm afraid you'll also have to take my advice with a grain of salt since the image is a bit blurry, so I'm not sure if some of the "mistakes" are really mistakes or just blurry camera focus. I think since you're already in a more finalized state, you should definitely push the line weight variation more the foreground elements need bolder lines but it seems the bed has the darkest line. THe areas that have elipses such as the fan and lamp are wonky (circles in perspective is hard ><)

OfficialLamp: It's a bit unfinished to give much critique but I'll try. Line weight variation should be pushed and the picture frame on the left is really slanted.

I'd like to do the two still lives next week, while we are in layout mode.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to critique mine. I'll have to do something finished.

Dunnstar:
    Name:  critique1.png
Views: 702
Size:  814.3 KB
    The only real problem is small inaccuracies in the different objects relations to each other.
    1) Ends don't match up.
    2) This end doesn't seem to attach in the same way as the other.
    3) Bed is on a slant, bring it down a bit.
    4) I think I might have this lamp. Right now it looks squashed, almost fan like. I think it's supposed to be more like a bowl?
    5) The bottom of the desk isn't aligning with the top.
    6) The paper on the dresser doesn't quite sit on the surface.

Denaliah:
    Name:  critique2.png
Views: 685
Size:  491.6 KB
    The first is pretty good, so I'm going to focus on the second. Also, your apartment seems to have the same layout as mine, ha.
    1) Keep your lines straight. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but they are curving when you get closer to the edge of the paper.
    2) The top lines appear parallel, but the counter top isn't. They need to all meet at the appropriate focus point.
    3) Keep your verticals, vertical.
    4) Figures head is out of proportion. Also a bit stiff, but that's less of an issue in this section.
    5) I do this one a lot, your circles have a point at the edge when you draw them in perspective. Smooth it out.
    6) Use line weight to create more depth. This will be very useful to separate the bar and the kitchen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys for the critiques. I would love to keep the deadline thing trucking. I'm fine with still lifes due this sunday. But I would also like time to rework and improve the room drawings and finished number 2. How about Friday we show our improvements but have 1 life drawing for sunday. Would that overburden people?

Oh and about the lamp. Yeah probably, I see it everywhere. It was really cheap at walmart and looked "modern" so I got it. obviously i'm not the only one.

And a heads up for anyone in toronto, The royal fair this November is apparently a good place for drawing animals!

Edit: someone asked me if the dates were accurate. They are.. appropriately accurate, OCAS one is accurate, the sheridan one is the dates I remember from last year, they could be moved but I doubt by more than 1 week. I'll update as information comes.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 29th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no! Im late oh gosh Im swamped in homework x_x this may take sometime! we start this in class on thursday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Thanks guys for the critiques. I would love to keep the deadline thing trucking. I'm fine with still lifes due this sunday. But I would also like time to rework and improve the room drawings and finished number 2. How about Friday we show our improvements but have 1 life drawing for sunday. Would that overburden people?

Oh and about the lamp. Yeah probably, I see it everywhere. It was really cheap at walmart and looked "modern" so I got it. obviously i'm not the only one.

And a heads up for anyone in toronto, The royal fair this November is apparently a good place for drawing animals!

Edit: someone asked me if the dates were accurate. They are.. appropriately accurate, OCAS one is accurate, the sheridan one is the dates I remember from last year, they could be moved but I doubt by more than 1 week. I'll update as information comes.
    I can't find any cheap classes in mississauga for life drawing and toronto is out of the question. The only classes I know about are on tuesdays and I work on tuesdays. For now I will work on the room drawing and get it critiqued by friday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does the room drawing have to be a real room in your house or can you just make one up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I asked a graduate (amanda) this question, heres her answer;

"Hey,
    that's a good question.

"• The first drawing should be an accurate observation of the room and should show a person, drawn in scale, sitting, standing or reclining in that space.
    • The second drawing should be the same room from that person’s point of view."

The first drawing should be from observation for sure, but since the second one is "from that person’s point of view", you can be creative and do something different if you want, while still having the room drawing be a good solid drawing. Years ago, we were allowed to make the "person" any kind of character, animal, or even our portfolio character. Not sure if they are opposed to seeing that now. But for the second drawing, I've seen some variations, one was from a goldfish's point of view looking through it's bowl, so the room was warped with a fish lens kind of look. Another with a girl in the first room, her point of view was drawn just as the room was, but there were dinosaurs in the room as if she were imagining them.
    If you're not sure how to make it creative, stick to it just being a really good drawing.

Hope that helps, good luck!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How will they know if you made up the room? Do we send in a pic of the room? I wanted to create an awsome dream room with a cool gaming set up and bookshelves etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also my room is very boring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what might be fun i'll have my point of view be that of falling out of bed and have the view almost upside down. I might do that still trying to work out a good composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My room is boring too, i went over to my friends house and got their kitchen, even then I added things to keep it interesting. I dont think they'll mind.

When you say "upside down view" you just mean a high horizon line right? with a vp way into the ceiling.

Last edited by Dunnstar; October 31st, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sort of yeah. I might use my room as a template and modify it; add a bunk bed floating thing, Change the size of the room add features like a gaming set up, large tv, coole furniture etc. I saw a picture online of a room drawing from sheridan and it has swans and chinese style that I am pretty sure is not real and was imagined by the artist. It says accurate observation of the room. So lets say I am planning on renovating that said room and changing it up a bit. I'll keep it realistic and not make it look to fancy or anything. I have a book from ikea so I can get some furniture ideas; I wont plagerize the furniture designs but it will help with giving the room character. My room has a lot of posters, figures on the wall so I have to make sure I include those as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick question do we need laptops for this course? I am thinking of upgrading my computer experience. Either a desktop for gaming and homework or a laptop that I can bring to school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stick with desktop if you want a better gaming rig, that wont cost you more than 1k.
    Any computers you'll need will be avaliable at the school. Its mostly traditional work though but they do have the avaliable hardware.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 1st, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When is the deadline to apply to the ontario colleges website?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feburary 1st is the equal considerate date. everything before gets equal consideration, everything after would get wait listed, but because Sheridan's program is so competitive, if you miss that date, you'll just have to try again next year.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 4th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah we might have to take the week on this denaliah, I got crammed last minute. Though my room drawing are finished. We'll meet on sunday and discuss what to do next. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

I'm a 4th year Illustration student and i just wanted to congratulate you guys on teaming up and working so hard together to get better. That's what it's all about. Keep it up!

"Good art is just the basics done really well over and over again." - Jonathan Barker

Watch out for the dream killers. They'll tell you to quit, they'll say you'll never make it, they'll say you're crazy, they'll say they have your best interests at heart... And if you listen to them they're right.

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I would Like to join the group too as I am building my portfolio for Sheridan Animation too although I am probably way out of my league!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. I'm a first year animation student right now, and good luck to you all! In regards to the concerns about the room drawing:

It doesn't need to be based on any real thing, the important thing is that your room is believable. There needs to be a believable sense of depth and perspective (ie. planes in the room should look like they belong together with the same vanishing point), as well as the character looking like it belongs in the set that you've created. That isn't to say that looking at real life references won't help (I referenced an Ikea catalogue for mine), but don't feel like you have to find a real room and sit there and draw it detail for detail.

J. Mao

[blog]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so everyone knows, the Illustration program is no longer a BAA (Bachelors of applied arts) it's now a fully BA program (Bachelors of Arts)

"Good art is just the basics done really well over and over again." - Jonathan Barker

Watch out for the dream killers. They'll tell you to quit, they'll say you'll never make it, they'll say you're crazy, they'll say they have your best interests at heart... And if you listen to them they're right.

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Johnny Dark Thanks for the information and the encouragment

@chronosylum Thank you clarifying that point.

Is there anyway I can squeeze some more information out of you two? I know Chrono your first year but Johnny you are almost done, whats it like? Are you enjoying your time there? Do you feel prepared for the workforce, etc, etc.

@ kamikazel33t
    Welcome! It seems the other three got over their heads, I'm still working on work though. How about we just have two hand drawings by sunday? That shouldn't be too bad.

ALSO sheridan portfolio day this Saturday!! Who's going?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadly, I currently don't really reside in Canada I am going around June 2013, I really really want to go though. Is there anyway at all I can get them to look at it maybe I can tell a relative or friend in Canada to bring in my drawings to the review and show em because it seems real important! . For the hand drawings I got that covered, I will be done with six hand drawings by Saturday, What I lack in ability I will make up with hard work .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    Sadly, I currently don't really reside in Canada I am going around June 2013, I really really want to go though. Is there anyway at all I can get them to look at it maybe I can tell a relative or friend in Canada to bring in my drawings to the review and show em because it seems real important! . For the hand drawings I got that covered, I will be done with six hand drawings by Saturday, What I lack in ability I will make up with hard work .
    I like that! I'll help anyway I can. I don't know if any relative will be willing to wait the 2-3 hours required but good luck on it. If you have any questions you want me to ask I will!
    Sunday deadline then.

My experiences with portfolio days (in general, not Sheridans) is that they are kind of hit and miss. Because the reviewers have so much stuff to look through they don't spend too much time and might give you vague or general commentary. Sometimes they take an interest and really give you a kick in your arse. The waiting is dreadful though. It's always surprising how long the line is. Really reminds you of how much competition is out there. Either way, it's not really essential, chances are you'll hear what you already know

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 13th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chronosylum View Post
    Hey guys. I'm a first year animation student right now, and good luck to you all! In regards to the concerns about the room drawing:

It doesn't need to be based on any real thing, the important thing is that your room is believable. There needs to be a believable sense of depth and perspective (ie. planes in the room should look like they belong together with the same vanishing point), as well as the character looking like it belongs in the set that you've created. That isn't to say that looking at real life references won't help (I referenced an Ikea catalogue for mine), but don't feel like you have to find a real room and sit there and draw it detail for detail.
    LOL i wish i knew that before i started. btw what do you think of my still lives:

everyone else feel free to chime in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand drawing next week is fine, but I would really also like to work on the storyboards cause it's the most heavily weighted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    LOL i wish i knew that before i started. btw what do you think of my still lives:
    everyone else feel free to chime in.
    I think its looking pretty good, you are gonna trace it with pencil right? The first thing that catches me in the first picture is it feels like we are looking down on the box and the bird thingy but when I look at the bottle it feels like its not on the same Vanishing point.What I mean is, the stuffed animal is taller than the bottle, yet we see more its head top than the bottle Perhaps try doing the base of the bottle, see if everything is lining up. Looks completely solid in second picture though. Except the ring(the two crosshairs you're using to create depth) around the stuffed animal, it should line up with the beak and the ears. it's just a weeee bit off.

As for mine, I only have 1 but I PROMISE 2 will be done by tomorrow. Just check my blog post here;
    http://dunnstar.blogspot.ca/2012/11/...animation.html

critique always welcomed!

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 13th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is one thing which is really bugging me about how to approach the object drawing when it comes to establish a horizon because looking at other portfolios I've seen how much importance they give to that and how well you place the still life in perspective even though most objects would have separate vanishing points but the same horizon. Does anybody know good books on perspective which focuses more on projective geometry?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say the book by Gwen White on Perspective is pretty good at breaking down the finer points of perspective. quick flip through my copy shows that it has pages just focusing on simple shapes and complex ones (Like spiral stairs)

But I'm old school I prefer Norling's book.

I can tell you how I did mine, The horizon was established in my mind more than broken down with rulers and such, if an object gave me trouble I'd reduce its shape and work as simple as possible. The "extending" to the horizon line doesn't really work, cause usually the vp are so far away from eachother they wont be on the paper.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 14th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 60