2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 25
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I read somewhere that a month and a half was about the right amount of time that you should spend on a portfolio (with it as your main focus, not alongside school/work). It gets you in the frame of mind of the deadlines animators actually have to meet and whatnot.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started pretty early and I was still crunching, probably because I was in the mindset "lots of time left". 2 month seems ideal. I ran into someone who did it in 1 week. So some people can get it out quick enough. Though I'm weary about the quality of 20+ pieces made in a week.

I thought I should mention that, for people checking their Sheridan emails do not expect anything before March 25th. I checked mine and I got notified for my illustration acceptance march 28th. I got my rejection in the mail, april 1st. I am inside Toronto though.

For people submitting their portfolio can I ask you guys what number you got when you were submitting your portfolio? and your date of application?

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 27th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunnstar I was 246.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pepe-silvia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was 586,
    one question, so we get our score after march 25th? through sheridan email?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yooHans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yooHans View Post
    i was 586,
    one question, so we get our score after march 25th? through sheridan email?
    you will only get your scores in the mail.

march 25th is the earliest you'll hear about your acceptance through sheridan email but you wont receive your score. I stress earliest because you might hear about it the 28th or the 29th, the order they send out the emails aren't based on scores either!

You'll get some "congratulations, blah, blah, blah" click for more info type of thing.

Your score you can only receive through mail, if you're inside toronto, expect around April 1st-end of that week.

This is how it was last year but it might change, but I doubt anymore than a few days, as a big process like this stays functional through stringency and familiar guidelines.

and thanks for the numbers guys. I should've also asked when you applied, like the date OCAS processed your payment. keep em coming lurkers/posters.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunnstar I applied around December 20th maybe, I'm not sure when they processed my payments though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xKotu View Post
    Actually, I read somewhere that a month and a half was about the right amount of time that you should spend on a portfolio (with it as your main focus, not alongside school/work). It gets you in the frame of mind of the deadlines animators actually have to meet and whatnot.
    makes sense if it's the only thing you're doing... But working 42.5 hours a week and other responsibilities make it pretty impossible... I had about 3 hours a day to work on my portfolio and the first half of didn't even make it into the finished portfolio lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished my portfolio in a week lol
    some people work well under pressure and others need time to polish up their work. the quality of my work is way better when im under fire.
    I was # 712 and i cant remember when i applied. I believe it was some time around November...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. Big thanks to all of you. All of your comments have been so helpful and encouraging. I've always been one of those "lurkers" on these forums, never posting anything but I thought maybe now I will since you guys have been so open and forthcoming.

My story is that I've been working as a product designer for a few years and felt the need to go back to my real passion which was animation. I applied to a school here at home (Vancouver) early last year and didn't get in. That rejection was pretty tough to bear but it also gave me the driving force to continue. I quit my job in August and went back to school part time to work on my portfolio for this fall. At that time, I thought I was going to just apply to the same school but I thought since I'm doing all this work for the portfolio anyway, might as well hand it in to other schools as well. That led me to apply for Seneca and Sheridan.

I just heard back from Seneca a few weeks ago and got an offer already so that feels really great. I'm just waiting for the big honcho, Sheridan to see if they'll accept me also. This time last year I was so incredibly dejected but looking back at it now, I'm happy I didn't get in to school. I really wasn't ready. After 6 months of immersing myself in papers and pencils I think I'm at a better state now come what may.

That being said, here is my portfolio for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks again to all of you people! Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do any of you guys play games?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just sent in the portfolio today My number is 543., now I still have to still do the illustration portfolio. Anyone else have to go back to sheridan to drop off illustration portfolio on saturday?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptown View Post
    do any of you guys play games?
    I play League of Legends xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, finally created a blog for this momentous occasion! I hope to update it regularly, but so far I have uploaded my portfolio for anyone wanting to check it out:

http://matthewrart.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo! I handed mine in today and am finally back homeeeeeee, i'll upload my portfolio later tonight or tomorrow!

also I heard it was a team of 8 faculty members in a team duos,
    i heard of the 2 for character*** Peter Emslie/Mark Mayerson

If some people are interested, I heard some other faculty names, as well as seen some around, Florian (1st year painting)/Michel(1st year animation)/Nancy(2nd year storyboard)

that's basically all I remembered haha

good job guys!

Last edited by Mieket; February 27th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just did my animation evaluation today, Wednesday. 410.
    Profusely praying for the next month.

God speed, everyone!

They didn't show any demo in the orientation this year. : [

"Machines aren't capable of evil, humans make them that way." - Lucca Ashtear, Chrono Trigger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, looks like one last day, and that'll wrap it up. Good hussle guys. Quick links to portfolio's are on the first page.

Thanks Mieket for the information. If you guys hear any little factoids, please share them, lets get as much information on the process as possible for future applicants

@Uptown: I'm actually looking forward to Bioshock Infinite, released end of march. I took a week off work for it!

Anyone a fan of game of thrones?! Love that show and the turn of the year means new episodes come april.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im probably wrong on this, but I remember last year there were around 1400 applicants, in case people were wondering. So this year it will probably be safe to assume the figure will be similar to that.

@Dunnstar: Yeah Bioshock Infinite looks amazing. I can't wait to get it, especially after those Truth From Legend clips. The lore for that world seems so amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dude, I haven't even looked at too much clips. trying not to spoil the plot or anything. I've seen the trailer, listened to some interviews and I'm freaking PUMPED. I'm probably gonna blaze through that game in 2 days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kawaiixdesu nice, ive never played LoL but a couple of my friends play and they say its addicting

@dunnstar i havent played bioshock before but it looks really good. I might have to make a purchase

And for me, I use to play Mabinogi but I stopped a while ago and jus lookin for a good game to play

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And i alsp want to know what aspects of animation you all wanna go into or specialize in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna be a designer and or storyboard artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Oh dude, I haven't even looked at too much clips. trying not to spoil the plot or anything. I've seen the trailer, listened to some interviews and I'm freaking PUMPED. I'm probably gonna blaze through that game in 2 days.
    I think this is a bit different, the Truth From Legend clips arent gameplay trailers or anything... its like a really weird and very interesting "Unsolved Mysteries" kind of segment about the back story of the city. It doesnt spoil anything, and really builds the mysteries behind the story.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptown View Post
    And i alsp want to know what aspects of animation you all wanna go into or specialize in?
    I'm leaning towards storyboarding or just plain animating. It's the acting and staging part of film that I like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hoping to be a Concept Artist and eventually Art Director / Game Director. I want to be able to build worlds and stories, so I definitely feel Animation at sheridan is the best fit for that. Illustration seemed like a good idea at first, but I feel like it doesn't give you the tools that you need to make the characters believable, have that certain life to them. All the graduate work I've seen from Animation are miles ahead of the Illustration graduates when it comes to the creative spark you see in their character designs.

And since Id rather work on a small team than at a big company, Id want to be able to contribute to every aspect of art including animation, so this degree will help me be a fully well rounded artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea i really like the acting and staging part as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw, does anyone have the pdf for bridgeman's how to draw from life book?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @uptown I have the pdf for "Complete Guide to Life Drawing" though I am not sure about the link.

With the degree in mind, I intend to explore the industry for a while and hope to work my way up to creative director. I seem to like all aspects of animation equally but the most important part is that I stay drawing through my career. I would not really want to get into something where I would not touch a pencil or tablet(rigging for example) although I am willing to explore these fields. concept art is also on my list, the issue is I appear to have a liking of everything so far except for artsy fartsy stuff you normally find in fine arts. I am not really the type of person who enjoys using a multitudes of mediums(like print making) although I would like to learn how to paint. I normally just keep it simple with pencils, pens, and potentially markers once I get my hands on em so that is why I knew illustration was not for me because it included a lot of these elements. I'd honestly say that animators are the ones who know how to draw the most, and sheridan's hardcore program is to my liking .

I used play a lot of games, but when I realized I really needed to improve my drawing skills I started to drop everything. I practically missed out on a lot of stuff and I am definitely going to play bioshock infinite when it comes out(I CANT WAIT ). I was thinking of maybe playing through skyrim again with all the DLCs and those must have mods which add to the RP of the game. Does anybody have a steam account as well as play valve games?

Last edited by kamikazel33t; February 28th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I inspire to work in visual development and character design. I'm not one to mess with maya because maya has hurt me in ways you can only imagine ;_;. However, I was inspired greatly by Hayao Miyazaki and Shinkai Makoto. I also want to prove that 2d can still be desired 20 even 30 years down the road. I aspire to inspire. Thats what I dream to be but I'm also torn between my most recent interest to be a creative director or the same things mentioned above but in the game industry. As you can see, I have a strong love for games and 2d animation. Even though I feel that Sheridan cannot entirely teach me what I yearn to know, I like how they give you room to be amazingly creative. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. At this point, I have picked up voice acting. I never realized how ranged my voice was xD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Crimson here, I'm also into world building and creating stories. So storyboarding and character design are my main interests. goal is to get into creative directing, i think most animators want to get there to be honest.

@crimson Well if you say they aren't spoilery, i'll check em out.
    @uptown http://www.scribd.com/doc/6692986/br...wing-from-life
    @Kamil: I don't have a steam yet, but I'll be getting one this summer. Huge l4d2 fan over here. we should play a game!

@Kawaii Princess Mononoke is one of my favourite movies of all time. I think I rewatch it atleast once a year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dunnstar thanks but its just a free preview version. I want to download the whole thing. That one gives a snippet of the book

And also, my fav movie of all time is princess mononoke as well. If any of you guys havent watched summer wars, i'd recommend watching it

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61