2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 23
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone's line work is so immaculate.......

I don't get how you guys doooooo ittt ;_;

mine looks like garbage all the time haha, or maybe I'm not patient enough.. sigh i find it such a struggle

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <b>@mieket</b> : for things like the character drawings good line work comes from patience. For life drawings confidence is key. Be sure in where you place your lines and always work light to dark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found a portfolio while searching around...I smell some trolling! http://www.scribd.com/doc/126188782/Sheridan-Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kawaiixdesu I'm pretty sure that's legit attempt. On the other hand including a raccoon smoking a bong that's bigger than him is a hilariously bad decision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maffix View Post
    @Kawaiixdesu I'm pretty sure that's legit attempt. On the other hand including a raccoon smoking a bong that's bigger than him is a hilariously bad decision.
    I really think thats the reason why I thought it was a troll xD I feel bad for posting it b..but-- the bong!! x_x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kawaiixdesu View Post
    I found a portfolio while searching around...I smell some trolling! http://www.scribd.com/doc/126188782/Sheridan-Portfolio
    I don't know what to say....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bong was funny man. When we are all bones in the ground the bong will still be funny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a clever way to stand out haha.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xKotu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way, does everyone have their transcript requirement listed as "Outstanding"? I sent mine a little while ago and I'm just not sure if it's going to change until after the portfolios are assessed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That guy definitely has a certain...flavour to his work. Haha. The bong is pretty funny, I have to admit.

In other news, I'm nearly done. I am literally finishing this by the skin of my teeth and it's been a stressful few weeks. In all honesty, I don't think I'm going to get in. But it's been really fun working on this and thank you to everyone who lent their criticisms and help to me.

This is my first time applying and I'm in grade 12, I heard somewhere that only about 20-30 straight out of high school kids get in. That's frightening. But anyway, I'm proud of what I've done and you should all be too. I wish you guys the best of luck and I hope you get in, because you're all great. I'll be hanging around this forum still. Will we be posting whether we got in in this same thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xKotu View Post
    By the way, does everyone have their transcript requirement listed as "Outstanding"? I sent mine a little while ago and I'm just not sure if it's going to change until after the portfolios are assessed.
    Yeah, mine too. I called the office two weeks ago about this because I already handed all my transcripts in. We checked it over, and they said not to worry about it. They better be right.

Quote Originally Posted by pepe-silvia View Post
    That guy definitely has a certain...flavour to his work. Haha. The bong is pretty funny, I have to admit.

In other news, I'm nearly done. I am literally finishing this by the skin of my teeth and it's been a stressful few weeks. In all honesty, I don't think I'm going to get in. But it's been really fun working on this and thank you to everyone who lent their criticisms and help to me.

This is my first time applying and I'm in grade 12, I heard somewhere that only about 20-30 straight out of high school kids get in. That's frightening. But anyway, I'm proud of what I've done and you should all be too. I wish you guys the best of luck and I hope you get in, because you're all great. I'll be hanging around this forum still. Will we be posting whether we got in in this same thread?
    Yeah probably here.

Good luck, all. May the Sheridan judges have mercy on us all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i did one of my life drawings in....purple pencil. is that okay or will they take off marks?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis569 View Post
    Hey! I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to game design as well? it seems interesting!
    I am applying for game design... I didn't have any 3d work to submit though so I hope that's not what they are looking for... I'm hoping I get into it programming and art are my 2 favourite things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bee View Post
    i did one of my life drawings in....purple pencil. is that okay or will they take off marks?
    As long as it's dark enough to see it should be fine. A few of mine were done in orange.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunnstar thanks for the book suggestions I sure am going to look through em.

Hey guys I made my portfolio upload on my sketchbook tidier now and can be viewed much better
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...27#post3654427

I honestly feel that at best I can make it on the waiting list considering the amount of competition this year but hey I think that now I have a much better shot next year.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I'm tomorrow is going to be my first attempt at trying to get into this animation program. I've been lurking on this forum for a while to see how I stack up against the competition. I wish good luck to all of you, you seem like you all are really passionate about this stuff, and its great that you're all helping one another. Maybe we'll meet if we all get in ahha. The past 3 months have been really stressful for me, and in fact I've gotta finish up my character tonight because I have to hand this thing in tomorrow morning. Ill post pictures of my finished portfolio after I hand it in!

I have a couple of questions though. I'm not a mail-in guy like most of you, I'm going in physically, so I wanted to know where the hell I'm supposed to attach the rubrics and stuff. It doesn't explicitly say to do so, but I want to clarify with some of you guys. Also, are we all 100% sure that digital work is allowed? I was thinking of calling in and asking even though the phone lines will probably be busy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis569 View Post
    Hey! I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to game design as well? it seems interesting!

Hey Francis, If I were you I'd hold off for a couple years until they are given a chance to refine the program. Think about it, you're going into a fresh new program where you are essentially going to be a guinea pig. On top of that, you can learn game design and 3d art really easily with books and stuff like eat3d, 3dtotal, digital tutors, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that Sheridan is bad but every 3d artist I know who went to school to learn 3d art got nothing out of it except for a huge debt. Programming books are your friend if you wanna head down that path.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for all the questions guys but im a big time procrastinator lol. which storyboard sheet do we use the one on the accessheridan site or the old one? does it even matter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @8bee - hey 8bee, I used the ones on accesssheridan (the wider ones) just to be safe because they say to follow the instructions once you receive the "official" portfolio requirements with your application. But I don't think it makes much of a difference.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pepe-silvia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FractaL64 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm tomorrow is going to be my first attempt at trying to get into this animation program. I've been lurking on this forum for a while to see how I stack up against the competition. I wish good luck to all of you, you seem like you all are really passionate about this stuff, and its great that you're all helping one another. Maybe we'll meet if we all get in ahha. The past 3 months have been really stressful for me, and in fact I've gotta finish up my character tonight because I have to hand this thing in tomorrow morning. Ill post pictures of my finished portfolio after I hand it in!

I have a couple of questions though. I'm not a mail-in guy like most of you, I'm going in physically, so I wanted to know where the hell I'm supposed to attach the rubrics and stuff. It doesn't explicitly say to do so, but I want to clarify with some of you guys. Also, are we all 100% sure that digital work is allowed? I was thinking of calling in and asking even though the phone lines will probably be busy.
    On the outside front of the portfolio, you need to tape the Portfolio Submission sheet and then have proof on you in regards to your fee payment. The proof does not need to be attached. The rubric isn't suppose to be attached either. That is in the pdf for your own idea of what they are marking you on. They'll mail you a score sheet in early April. As for digital art, I think you can, but make sure to just print it off. They won't look at flash drives. Also if you are waiting around till 3 to pick your portfolio up, make sure to bring something to pass the time. Even attending the information session leaves you time left over to kill.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to empire_c2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by empire_c2 View Post
    On the outside front of the portfolio, you need to tape the Portfolio Submission sheet and then have proof on you in regards to your fee payment. The proof does not need to be attached. The rubric isn't suppose to be attached either. That is in the pdf for your own idea of what they are marking you on. They'll mail you a score sheet in early April. As for digital art, I think you can, but make sure to just print it off. They won't look at flash drives. Also if you are waiting around till 3 to pick your portfolio up, make sure to bring something to pass the time. Even attending the information session leaves you time left over to kill.
    Awesome thanks for the reply. I have 2/5 of my personal pieces as printed work but they're a digital painting and a digital sketch, also yeah gonna look for places to live and meet up with my friend who is in 2nd year of the animation program... hes gonna give me a tour of the place!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh how I wish we had this model last week. She's doing all the super actiony poses. Just checked my FedEx tracking and my portfolio is currently in Mississauga. Soo close! Odds of getting lost are shrinking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. Its over.

This is a surreal feeling. I'll most definitely get my portfolio up. I've been super lazy (and super busy) but it will be up before the week ends.

Lurkers and people wondering what to expect on hand in day.

Expect to wait in two long lines. The line for the payment fee, and the line for the actual submission of the portfolio. I arrived at 8:30 and both lines were atleast 40 people long. They don't take credit, so bring debit or cash!!

Once you're in the submission line, you wait for half an hour to an hour and get a number on a pink/purple/yellow card. this card is just to reclaim your portfolio.

A little theory behind it, it seems to correspond with applicant date. As I met someone with number 6 (wasn't 2nd in line) who applied early November. I applied early January and was number 240. but thats just speculation.

Anyways, you hand it in, then you can either go to the presentation at 10:00 or find someother way to spend your time. I've sat through two presentation. One actually had slides of 'what they were expecting' for the portfolio and another presentation that was more informal, the coordinator and a couple of students were answering questions.
    So, I can't exactly tell you what to expect here, except the coordinator and couple of students will be there.

Common questions:

What are the chances of employment upon graduation?

You'll hear "it's hard to tell because of the changing market"

How much do you guys accept?

150 this year, 125 last year. Coordinator suggested that he thought it was too much.

Why?

Space issues and student to teacher ratio

How much applied?

They were expecting over 1000.

About international students?

There are only 25 seats for international students (thats outside of Canada)

There are no restrictions inside Canada. So people mailing their portfolio's inside Canada are fine.

How does the marking work?

According to the coordinator, 8 different people, specalizing in each section, look and evaluate your portfolio. So there are no 'hard' markers or 'easy' markers. All 8 of them are trouncing through your portfolio.
    Fun.

After the question period ends, there are some tours. I actually suggest skipping those, they are quite boring. Go explore, find the studio, swallow in the 2k cintqis and enjoy yourself.

Portfolio Pick-up Time

Is formally 3pm. Informally, its after 1. If you're lucky, like I was, they might finish marking your portfolio quickly and you can pick it up and go. There is no rhyme or reason to the order. People first in line were still waiting for their portfolios, where as I got in the line around 9:15ish and still got it before them.

If I had to eyeball it, I'd say atleast 150 people were there submitting their portfolio and no more than 300 that day. logic, dictates similar numbers for the remaining days.

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 25th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <double post>

Last edited by FractaL64; February 28th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <double post>

Last edited by FractaL64; February 28th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINALLY DONE!!! I just need to label everything~ as soon as I come back from the drop off on Wednesday I will post up my portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So im dropping my portfolio tomorrow, but i heard the weather is going to be REALLY BAD. Will they change the date if the weather condition is really bad?

and another question, i put my name and sheridan ID on the back of every piece of art works, but i dont have any labels on the front, is it alright or do i have to label them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They wont change the date if the weather is bad. It's possible if it's really, REALLY, REALLY bad but these dates are stringent. The forcast is for this evening, so the morning should be abit hectic but travel-able.

You don't need labels for the front. that seems redundant but it is up to you.

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 26th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got my portfolio back! I got there this morning around 9 am, the line at portfolio payment only had about 3 people when I was there and it moved fast, and the line for portfolio submission was maybe the same length. I was in the school, in total, for less than an hour. When I came back to pick it up the line was slightly longer but moved really fast, and I was only there for around 15 minutes. I expected it to take a lot longer! Anyway, I'll be uploading my portfolio to deviantart soon and putting a link here.

And, was anyone else having problems logging in here today?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @pepe-silvia - I haven't had troubles logging in, but the site has been real stupid since they added that facebook comments crap. And that pop down thing at the top keeps breaking my mobile browser.

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62