2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 19
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Maffix Yeah, that is true!

@BlueMaroon Go right ahead, I'm sure it'll still be of help

Last edited by radicat; February 18th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh shit. I didn't realize they changed the storyboard template from previous years. It's widescreen but I drew my compositions on 8.5"x11" paper. I'm including the original drawings, so I realllly hope I don't get knocked down for this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently told a friend to redo their entire portfolio. Of course I didn't say it lightly. It takes a lot to say that to a friend, or anyone, for that matter. I supported it with a lengthy, detailed critique and suggestions.

Would you appreciate a comment like that or would you find that unhelpful at this point? I won't say it to anyone here. Just asking.

[edit] I meant this as a question to EVERYONE. Not telling OL that he should redo everything haha

Last edited by J. Cui; February 18th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I have to mail it the day after tomorrow, so I'm a little stuck with it. I did some photoshop magic and it's okay now, though, not ideal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I am personally not sure about the storyboard ratio as well and even if they had the old storyboard ratio it still would've screwed me over because I use A4 paper here. This annoying because I can't really use some composition rules like the rule of thirds.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Radicat http://sta.sh/01g13z2tyo4h (I drew her left leg to high, it should be equal to the other leg ignore that! haha) One thing I don't think you should do is give her high heels, it doesn't really make sense since she is not wearing any other articles of clothing, I still included the shoes in my drawing but it would make more sense without them, also high heels are very hard to draw. You'd have to make the choice whether you want her to have human feet or paws. I made her body more petite and feminine and made her eye brows attach the the arch's above her eyes. I gave her tail more weight by having it hang more loosely and I simplified her lips to make it easier for the turn around. Try to make your details as simple as possible, don't add lots of fur fluff like around the face and on her chest and tail. Less detail the better for animating. Make sure the ears actually attach to the head.

@ J. Cui Sadly I won't be able to fix anything at this point, but I wouldn't mind getting a critique on my portfolio, just so I know whether or not I stand a chance (even though I haven't added in the pencil lines yet so there is no line quality, so just ignore that part) http://bluemaroon.deviantart.com/gallery/41895809 (I added the right hand of my character into the side view of the turn around, but its not updated on there) Also, I have a question, they didn't include a separate line for dialogue in the storyboard template this year, how would we go about adding the dialogue?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueMaroon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cui View Post
    I recently told a friend to redo their entire portfolio. Of course I didn't say it lightly. It takes a lot to say that to a friend, or anyone, for that matter. I supported it with a lengthy, detailed critique and suggestions.

Would you appreciate a comment like that or would you find that unhelpful at this point? I won't say it to anyone here. Just asking.

[edit] I meant this as a question to EVERYONE. Not telling OL that he should redo everything haha

Well, I hear you J. Cui. but at this point (less than 10 days). Rehauling 20 sheets of pieces, probably wouldn't produce better results. It depends what you told them to fix exactly, if you told them to scrap alot of their pieces then... It is more discouraging than helpful - In getting them into Sheridan. but definitely more helpful in improving them as an artist in the long run. There just isn't any time. You probably could've focused the critique. there's time at best to redo 2-3 pieces and I think that might've yielded better results.

At the end of the day, if they asked you for your thoughts on the submission, by giving your honest opinion you were being a good friend.

@radicat I would give my opinion but BlueMaroons redlines kind of hit he nail. so just go view that!

@Mafflax Bottom two. Your pencil is much stronger than the digital one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    20 pieces, no, but you can change let's say 10-15since it's only linework we are talking about here. It's simple you just have to lower your sleeping time and don't go anywhere but your desk a few days. I've heard of people who draw 20 hours per day and sleep 3/4 hours when they need to. This is done mostly by Japanese (check for animators, mangaka's) and so on, but there are lots of other people who do it. I would not tell anyone to start doing this, but at the very least if you have a weak left concentrate on 120%. The reality of art is harsh, but if you want to succeed you have to give it your all, if not you will be replaced by someone who is more capable and/or is willing to give more time into their work since there are are millions who want to work as animators, comic book artists, concept artists and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BlueMacroon Hey that looks great! that's actually kind of what I had in mind when creating her. But couldn't quite get it to look how it looked in my head. Definitely helps a lot for the rotation, because I couldn't quite translate what the profile would look from the front view. Thanks for the great help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @platformerbg so true, that is what I've been doing with my portfolio so far this week and I am almost done with just a few pieces to complete.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cui View Post

It's too late for me now, Cui. I sent mine a few days ago and it's there now.

I still wouldn't mind getting a critique from you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Hey guys, how are your portfolios coming along? I'm done, I think... I have to send it in tomorrow. Yeah, I said I'd post some up before but such is life. I extremely hate my stuff. I had so much trouble with everything.

I finally got a camera, hooray.

I think I just want a last minute critique before it ships off so that I could probably fix some. Pretty please? lol

Good luck everyone!!!

My camera quality's terrible... Sorry about all this!!

http://s1322.beta.photobucket.com/us...risra/library/

Password is sheridan. If it doesn't work, let me know.

Edit: I read the Illustration sheet wrong. Okay, I'm saved. You were totally right, Dunnstar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I told her to take some time off from school and redo it about a week ago. At that point I thought there'd still be enough time.

@Lycoris: Sorry but I don't have time right now to give any detailed critiques, and I think that would just stress you out anyway since you already mailed it in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's okay, Cui.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, just a random thought, but I wonder who keeps all of the Itoya and other portfolio cases that get mailed in. I can't imagine them throwing them away, and they don't return them. Maybe there's a prof who's swimming in years worth of portfolio cases.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats the resale value on an Itoya? It's in that 'fuzzy' line of disposable merchandise. I think they just dump all of them.

I just put the last touches on my portfolio. I have to scan and print a few of them for my Seneca submission. As soon as that's done, I'll compile and post them up. Even though it's a little early for this.. it's been a pleasure guys. I really hope we all make it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm at my final figure drawing session right now. Model is terrible at action poses and my gestures are turning out terribly. Quickly everyone, focus your artistic powers onto me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ OfficialLamp *focuses artistic abilities*

Hey guys, I'm posting all my final works on my blog if you wanted to take a look http://sarahgorananimation.blogspot.com. I just need to finish outlining my Character Rotation and Action poses tomorrow and I'll be done whoopee (other than having to organize it in my Itoya case after haha) Good luck everyone and to all of you who are mailing your portfolios in, I know I didn't work with you guys through these months but I wish you the best all the same! I'll keep checking her to see everyone's final portfolios and the results in the next month or so!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, now all that's left for me to do is mail this sucker off. I'll upload my portfolio at a later date, but because I drew most of it in blue/orange it didn't scan well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey BlueMaroon! It's cool to see you are on the forums with us. I've noticed on your blog that you mentioned you were not to sure which horse drawing to pick, I'd say go with the first one because the last one looks like it has problems with foot positioning as well as looks less dynamic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm scanning all my stuff tomorrow and Ill put up a link for it. I actually still have another portfolio due in a month for Capilano University so feel free to rip my stuff apart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Maffix - Oh hey, I'm applying for Cap as well. Like Sheridan it's also very competitive and has a low admittance percentage. The portfolio is a lot easier though because it's open. To repeat what's been advised to myself:
    1) Keep only the good drawings. Don't put padding in.
    2) They like shorter poses. Keep the majority under 5min, and maybe a few long poses.
    3) Have a page of hands performing actions. These can be sketchier than what sheridan expects for their hand drawings, just avoid static poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, seems like a lot of you are long distance applicants mailing in. Anyone here submitting theirs in person? My portfolio day is on the 26th. For anyone doing theirs in person, is it a bad idea to pay your portfolio fee the day of, rather than in advance by mail? Is it too late for me to mail them the portfolio fee now? I feel like there would be a long line the day of and I don't really want to waste any time. So you drop it off between 8:30 and 10, and then kind of wait around until 3? Also so we get our portfolios and evaluations back immediately after assessments? (Kind of a stupid question but I really don't know how it all works), or do we get things in the mail after? Anyway, best of luck to everyone. I hope you guys get in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm submitting mine in person. It's not a bad idea at all to pay day of.

Yeah, the day is abit of a waste Pepe. You get a small presentation, some tours then you have to literally waste 2-4 hours waiting for your portfolio back.
    It takes about a month to get the results back. April 1st is when the mail starts coming in.

You still can mail it in if you want, but you have to sign up for that, remember/

I'm looking forward to seeing all the complete portfolios its been a long preparation, hopefully it pays off.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of my components are basically finished. I have to get two life drawings in motion and I have a session tomorrow, but I seem to be stuck on what to do for my personal artworks. I don't have anything that's really level with the rest of my portfolio and I want to make something new but...agh, I'm not sure what I should try to show through them. :/ Any advice? Do you think I would lose marks for just putting in more life drawings for my personal artwork?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @xKotu It's not a super important section and doesn't weigh a lot on your score, so don't stress it too much. Lots of people put life drawings in, just have some variety as well. Maybe put a page of your quicker gesture drawings or a 20+ min pose if you have one. Or even compile your planning for some of your portfolio pieces. They love seeing sketches and thought progressions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks OfficialLamp! That helps a lot.

Just finished taking photos of all my work and I'm getting critique on it tomorrow for any last minute adjustments. After that, I'll post up errythaaang. c: Phew. So glad everything has come together pretty well. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp Uhhh were you at the animation students life drawing session at Capilano Monday?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maffix View Post
    @OfficialLamp Uhhh were you at the animation students life drawing session at Capilano Monday?
    YES. I was the tall lanky quiet one towards the back in the blue and brown. I'm not sure if I actually said a single word that whole time, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not even March and I'm stressing out.

Even if I get accepted, I don't know if I want to get into Sheridan's illustration. In fact, I don't know anymore. I don't know if I want to continue with art if I don't make it into Animation.

I'm going to try and let go...

Quote Originally Posted by xKotu View Post
    All of my components are basically finished. I have to get two life drawings in motion and I have a session tomorrow, but I seem to be stuck on what to do for my personal artworks. I don't have anything that's really level with the rest of my portfolio and I want to make something new but...agh, I'm not sure what I should try to show through them. :/ Any advice? Do you think I would lose marks for just putting in more life drawings for my personal artwork?
    Just show them what you can do. Nice paintings of landscapes, portraits, houses, still life, nice figure drawings in colorful pastel or charcoal rendering... Something along realism, although I've seen some nice fantasy works. But if you're going to submit some 'fantasy' works, make sure it looks proportionate, structured, and has sense of perspective. Nothing too flat and not dimensional. Keep it somewhat 'realistic.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    It's not even March and I'm stressing out.

Even if I get accepted, I don't know if I want to get into Sheridan's illustration. In fact, I don't know anymore. I don't know if I want to continue with art if I don't make it into Animation.
    Animation isn't something you try for once and then give up. You want it, then you have to persevere. This is my fourth time applying for animation schools and if I don't make it, I'm going for a fifth. You can get there if you keep drawing and studying, don't quit before you even get to the gate.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62