2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 18
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I posted before was:
    They do accept digital media. The portfolio says "no digital submissions" which is referring to USB sticks or e-mail submissions. As long as it's printed on paper, digital submissions are acceptable and they seem to have no negative bias towards them. The two digital character rotations I've seen scored perfect, here's one for proof:
    http://getvent.deviantart.com/art/To...ions-199159520

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They do accept digital media. The portfolio says "no digital submissions" which is referring to USB sticks or e-mail submissions. As long as it's printed on paper, digital submissions are acceptable and they seem to have no negative bias towards them. The two digital character rotations I've seen scored perfect, here's one for proof:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch, I am kind of panicking right here. Everybody seems to be on their second shot, I've looked at a lot of portfolios as well and it seems like official's portfolio was quite deserving to have passed but nothing less than getting wait-listed. Well hey! I guess it seems like they lowered the amount the storyboarding score counts for although something gets me panicked that they are doing just that so that they can focus more on those points they took less into consideration.

EDIT: just saw your post now. Well it's great to have you onboard, from what I can tell with an outside perspective, art fundamentals seems like a basic art foundation course(almost like highschool art classes). It's normally for people who either don't know where they are headed in the arts field or don't know how to improve(although since everything is general they tend to get a little lost unless they have a more veteran friend helping em out) and normally it is as simple as "SHUT UP! SIT DOWN! AND DRAW YOUR ASS OFF!" because that is the only way you get good.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; February 16th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kaylion, I think your post might have been deleted. I see an eighteenth page although I can't enter it. Try and see if you can restore the auto-saved content of your post. Once we get you up to ten or twenty posts things will get easier

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kaylion52 View Post
    Probably would accept it although the issue is that digital can easily be used as an attempt to cover up mistakes with what the software provides and the people correcting can easily see through this debauchery. If you are skilled enough then it would be no problem to submit things digitally though I guess it's a lot more easier for them to grade your stuff done traditionally to easily see your raw skill without extra aids graphic packages provides(like the ability to warp and flip images along with many other things).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    it seems like official's portfolio was quite deserving to have passed but nothing less than getting wait-listed.
    I appreciate that thought. I honestly believe that mail in portfolios are marked harder, or, at least, original drawings look nicer and get better points. I think the score on my animals was fair, layout I have no clue what happened, and I did get a lot of 3s. But in the end I got no 4s and that's what did me in.

A nice thought is that I passed the schools grade for what they think applicants should have entering the program, but because of the number of applicants it changes to a competitive number.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to the zoo today and drew a bunch of animals. I just need some help deciding which ones to put in.
    Name:  IMG_20130216_233950.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  505.3 KB
    Not sure about this one.

Name:  IMG_20130216_233957.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  460.2 KB
    I quite like this one, I feel like I captured the creature just right.

Name:  IMG_20130216_234005.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  475.5 KB
    I'm leaning towards this one so then I have one animal drawing in motion. I feel like it's front foot is a little off and I was wondering if anyone could point out to me why. >_<

Name:  IMG_20130216_234015.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  530.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20130216_234025.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  508.5 KB

Also, sorry if the images are too large. Not quite clear on how small to resize them. o-o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Either the bird, camel, or monkey.

There's something that confused me. Months ago, I signed up for the Illustration portfolio mail-in. It said that I had to hand it in by March 1st. But I just noticed on the hand out that said it's supposed to be in by no later than February 22nd. Which is it? Is the hand out right? Why did they make me sign up for March 1st unlike Animation which was Feb 22nd?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm. I'd say the monkey or anteater. If you can fix them up a bit, it would be better.

I bought an Itoya portfolio album today. Was happy to see the spine came out and may try to print out a custom one to replace it with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The money seems to be the strongest out of all your pieces. The problem with the ant-eater extends past the issue of the awkward hand since the torso itself seems to be out of proportion as well as it looks like it is falling over instead of walking(both of the front legs are lifted of the floor) and the reason for the awkward arm is that you needed to spend time on how the motion of the animals legs work in sequence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kotu: I like the anteater and the little monkey.

The anteater has dynamism despite slight proportion issues. could you trace over and improve it?

@kaylion: Welcome former lurker. I wonder about the lurkers. Were you finding this thread informative or helpful?

@lyricos: I think the mail in submission was just the same as the drop in days. I don't think Illustration gets anywhere near as much applicants as Animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anteater has one leg connected to the other. Also no animal moves like that. When you run you don't put your left leg and left arm forward if you want to submit it fix it and give some space for the torso (look at some pictures in google for instance). The monkey's back leg is not okay. The parrot and/or camel (proportions may not be perfect but it looks and feel solid and has a overall good expression) look okay. Before going to the zoo next time it's good to look at the animal you want to draw beforehand (google, books, anywhere). Because rarely will you be able to catch an animal staying in one spot and if you want motion you should know the proportions first. Gestures drawing to start out is also a good way. It's also better to do 30 drawings of one animal than 30 different ones since you will get to know the whole structure (most animals are actually pretty close) and it will do you well in your portfolio and for future use (say you want to draw an Albatross for a school assignment, the others are looking at references, you are like guess what bi*ches I already know how to do it).

Last edited by platformerbg; February 17th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it doesn't matter if I send it before Feb 22nd or March 1st? Idk. Illustration isn't informative as much as Animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I just joined this forum to get some feedback as well! Sorry for joining so late, I just found out about it! Was wondering if I could get some help on my character design! I've been having dilemmas with it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone! I'll fix up the monkey and the anteater and that will wrap up my animal section for me. Room is all I have left to really work on, I have a life drawing session on Wednesday and after that I just have to decide on my five personal works. :/ I hope I don't lose too much if I just use a lot of life drawings for personal, nothing else of mine seems quite good enough. >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, go ahead and share it radicat. I'll give you any help that I can.

and Lyricos: i don't know why they'd penalize you for delivering it early but if you're worried about it, just hold onto it till march.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I've been lurking around here for some time >.> I probably won't post my stuff on here but for anyone who wants to see the roughs of my portfolio you can look here http://bluemaroon.deviantart.com/gallery/41895809 I'm going to be posting the rest of my portfolio roughs on there tonight once I finish my story board. You can critique if you want but I don't think I'm going to have time to change anything in the next week but we'll see haha
    Also I wanted to correct you guys on assuming that perspective is not judged on storyboards. Last year the sample sheet said it was not part of the storyboard section but it ended up being on the final score sheet anyways, so don't be fooled, still try to make believable perspective and consistent backgrounds!

P.s. one more week good luck everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Dunnstar. No, it's not them penalizing me for sending it early. But more like them maybe not going to bother looking at my portfolio if I send it near March 1st. I think I'm gonna call Sheridan tomorrow and see. The good news is that I'm almost done with it. The bad news is that I still have a few more things to clean up so yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here's the link to my portfolio blog, I just updated and I think I might go with the new one at the top. http://dianeshaher.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here's the link to my portfolio blog, I just scraped the character and made another a little more simple. http://dianeshaher.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here's the link to my portfolio blog, I just scraped the character and made another a little more simple. http://dianeshaher.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here's the link to my stuff....I decided to scrap that character and go with something a little more simple to do.
    dianeshaher.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bluemaroon: Just a quick look, dont be nervous, looks like a really solid submission to me. I don't really have any critiques in mind/ but I do think you should look into getting a sense of weight in your lines and pose, that'll probably push your drawings into a higher level. I don't know much about that, so i can't make any suggestions. Still, thats for the future and not so much this portfolio. time is too short to be making rehauls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMaroon View Post
    Hey guys I've been lurking around here for some time >.> I probably won't post my stuff on here but for anyone who wants to see the roughs of my portfolio you can look here http://bluemaroon.deviantart.com/gallery/41895809 I'm going to be posting the rest of my portfolio roughs on there tonight once I finish my story board. You can critique if you want but I don't think I'm going to have time to change anything in the next week but we'll see haha
    Also I wanted to correct you guys on assuming that perspective is not judged on storyboards. Last year the sample sheet said it was not part of the storyboard section but it ended up being on the final score sheet anyways, so don't be fooled, still try to make believable perspective and consistent backgrounds!

P.s. one more week good luck everyone!
    It looks good. Just watch out for that awkward left hand in Action Pose Two, and the raised hand in character turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by radicat View Post
    Alright, here's the link to my stuff....I decided to scrap that character and go with something a little more simple to do.
    dianeshaher.blogspot.com
    Show the martini glass base more in the first object drawing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lycoris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would any of you guys know how I would be able to incorporate the lips for the rest of the rotation on my character? she's a fox by the way! (dianeshaher.blogspot.com)

Last edited by radicat; February 17th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Radicat - Are you asking us how to draw lips from other angles? Treat them like anything else you need to draw and break them into simple solid forms. Find reference if you need it, I quickly found this 3D render that might help you visualize the shape: http://www.phungdinhdung.org/Studies...6_nose_lip.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not so much how to draw them, but more like making it consistent throughout the poses, without making it look completely ridiculous with the way her muzzle is. I'm completely boggled, maybe I should just draw her mouth with no lips?

Last edited by radicat; February 17th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner!..... Or, ya know, actually posted instead of lurking sooner. We're all in the end game stages right now but I cant decide which perspectives to fix. I made the bottom two first but then thought they sucked and tried making the top two. Now my art friends are saying to go with the bottom ones. I think Im going to do that and add the top right as a personal artwork. Just wanted to see what other people thought. Btw the longer stuff used a ruler but I intend to flip it on a light table, free hand it to new paper, flip it again and clean.

Radicat You could always draw the rotation without lips and then screw around in a sketch book to try and get something you think works last minute. It wouldn't be to hard to add them in after the fact.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops I have no idea how to add images. Either this is going to be way to big or way to small.Name:  Comparison Smaller.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  480.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Maffix The bottom two are better if only because they actually look like a room in your house like the instrucions say it should be, however there is no character in either of those rooms.

@Radicat Would you be okay if I red lined your character and helped you with the structure a bit and show you a simpler way to do the lips? It may not help though because our styles are so different but it might give you some ideas.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueMaroon For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62