2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 15
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hand drawings

Heres my hand drawings

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are we going to upload storyboards?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now nickels, you can upload whatever you want and receive critiques. For your hand drawings try putting in structure for the palm. Right now everything feels really contoured and less constructed also include more line variety.

To continue the momentum here are my hand drawings

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Nickels - I agree about the palm structure. It's what they're going to be looking for the most. I also suggest drawing the stereo once, then using a light table to trace it over in the second. The dial and switches don't quite match up properly.

@kamikazel33t - I like the acting you chose, there's some good energy in that. My only complaint is that they look distorted. Proportions are just off enough to make it look like there's something wrong. There's this huge gap between the hand lines on the second image on the pinkie side when compared to the first. On my hand, these lines don't move between the positions.

It really sucks when your drawings get to a point where it contains what they want, but they just want it better. I've been told that for 3 years now.

Anyways, here's my hands which I guess I'll call finished.
    Name:  WP_000144.png
Views: 275
Size:  1,015.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @official thanks! I would not have spot that if you did not mention it . Now it's my turn, from what I can tell your hands are seemingly well structured but I would also have to mention proportions as well so watch out for that thumb and also the arc of the palm is a little more curve in a way were the middle finger is the apex(I'd actually say it's more of an upside down V). The pose seems a little stiff so if you ever get the chance to do another set of hands try capture the gesture of it and construct over it, that way you kind of end up with a more rhythmic look to your drawings. About your comment, I truly agree, I feel as though even after 4 months of grinding I feel like I reached the point where I am almost there but not quite there yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna try uploading this and see if it works.
    This is a rough room layout (I still have to put the character in, fill the bookcase with dvd's, put a chair in front of the TV and scatter DVDs across the floor as well as some other stuff but this is the basic layout I've come up with). I could use some critiques because I don't know how to do perspective very well.

Name:  layout.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  190.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @pepe The floor plane seems to be quite off and the bowl(I assume) on the floor seems to have a pointed ellipse as well as that flower pot so I suggest you recheck your ellipses as well as check if both vanishing points are on the same horizon. I think the issue is you tried to draw the horizon freehand and it did not come out straight. Your door also seems to lack the details such as the hinges of the door and walls are not really always that plain, sometimes walls would have a tiny paneling connected to the floor. While I understand it should not be a technically piece watch out for the measuring of the the floor panels. I also feel that the composition of the room is boring overall and that the vanishing points are too close putting it in forced perspective. Have the vanishing points outside of the page you are drawing it in(I did this by putting pages next to it and extending the horizon line. A little tip so that you don't commit to a shot you feel does not work as well is to make quick and dirty thumbnails just to get a quick feel of the overall look.

EDIT: wait I figured out what was wrong with the floor plane you drew the room past the vanishing point or at least it contributed to the issue.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; February 8th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lamp
    Your construction looks pretty solid. However, The wrist looks a little skinny in comparison to the hand. Also, be careful of the perspective of the can of eyes in both drawings.

We're all well on our way guys! a little over 2 weeks left! (maybe even 3 ) Let's work, work, work! I've been working for what feels like forever. My friends are abit frustrated with me because I wont come and hang out haha. They'll never understand! After all this is done we should have a nice sit down and talk about our goals for this program

also...
    @Kamil and @Lamp
    Hey! Im just curious...when would you guys have to send your portfolios in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kawaii 22nd of feb *gulp*, I am working on my storyboards now and still have a lot of work. Luckily I work well under pressure .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to send mine out by the 15th at the latest, but, I'm not sure how fast I can work. Also, I got my username and password but it still won't let me log in. Calling again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woops, I forgot to critique your life drawings dunnstar. Well so far I feel like the last 3 are your strongest because most probably they took you the longest time. For the first although it was probably a really short pose, it seems to lack confidence and seem tentative also to note when blocking in the legs in short hand it works pretty well to use wrapping contours. your second one you seem to lack the connection of your under structure to your actual drawing of the figure it almost seems as if you just quickly just put in afterwards for show because constructions you placed don't seem to function to be able to take up 3d space. I think that may be so because the landmarks actually need to show the direction of these forms in 3d space and act as a substitute for the center lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    @Nickels - I agree about the palm structure. It's what they're going to be looking for the most. I also suggest drawing the stereo once, then using a light table to trace it over in the second. The dial and switches don't quite match up properly.

@kamikazel33t - I like the acting you chose, there's some good energy in that. My only complaint is that they look distorted. Proportions are just off enough to make it look like there's something wrong. There's this huge gap between the hand lines on the second image on the pinkie side when compared to the first. On my hand, these lines don't move between the positions.

It really sucks when your drawings get to a point where it contains what they want, but they just want it better. I've been told that for 3 years now.

Anyways, here's my hands which I guess I'll call finished.
    Name:  WP_000144.png
Views: 275
Size:  1,015.7 KB
    Hi Official, wow its been a while since I critiqued you I think? Anyways my thoughts are that the second drawing is the weaker one. Try showing the tension, the grip of the hand on the cap. You want to capture what the muscles of the hand are feeling in the moment, right now I feel like the cap is just sitting loftly on the hand without the hand gripping it which makes it less believable.

Btw everyone, here are my 2 action poses: http://s263.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=6
    http://s263.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do we have to do a drawing test for the animation program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh shit. I forgot completely about the 2 stillness/3 action part of the life drawings. I do not have any motion figure drawings. Shitshitshit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well for those you don't really need to have a life drawing model as long as the pose is an under five minutes and has this "about to" quality, I guess. Try to go to a park or something and see if you can get down some quick poses of people doing something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a ton of quick gestures that show action, and I like them a lot, but I know this isn't what they want.
    Name:  WP_000150.png
Views: 251
Size:  455.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    I guess I found out about this forum a little late. I wish I had participated from the beginning, it would be really helpful. But I'll try to show you some my drawings anyway for feedback, if I can get my scanner to work again.
    I was a bit confused by the animal part of the portfolio, do we have to send 2 drawings? Or 2 showing stillness and 3 motion?
    Also, I was planning on mailing my portfolio today so it can arrive on February 22nd, but I read here that I just need to mail it before this date, is that right? After today, I'll only be able to mail it next thursday, because everything (including post offices) tend to close for Carnival in Brazil. I really didn't understand this "courier-stamped" part on the portfolio, so I just thought I'd be safe and send everything in time for February 22nd, but I could really use the extra days.
    Thank you! I couldn't comment on the drawings before, but I hope it works out for all of us who are really working hard for it! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thar be spike in activity.

Mee-na. In answer to your question, courier stamp, is the date that your packaged is processed for delivery. (exact date you send it) not day it's received. You go to your local post office, they process your package and the courier stamps it DAY OF. This date can't be any later than feb 22nd.

Though, being in Brazil, I wouldn't chance it for day of but you can safely take the week if you really, really need it.

next question, of the 5 life drawings, 3 figure, 2 animal. 3 have to be active. You don't need to draw 7. Just 5.

as always thanks for the critique Kamil. I will pay it forward.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe-silvia View Post
    I'm gonna try uploading this and see if it works.
    This is a rough room layout (I still have to put the character in, fill the bookcase with dvd's, put a chair in front of the TV and scatter DVDs across the floor as well as some other stuff but this is the basic layout I've come up with). I could use some critiques because I don't know how to do perspective very well.

Name:  layout.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  190.9 KB
    Hey Silvia. There's not much to say, except that the perspective is coming out very warped.
    This is gonna need an overhaul and I know thats not what anyone wants to hear. I get it though, i'm struggling with my room drawings (On my 4th overhaul) so hang in there.
    My best critique is to suggest an artbook on this.
    Uh its Perspective Made easy by Norling
    Linky, linky:

Also try for a horizontal line of 5-6 feet. your current one looks really high, if it was a bit lower it might be easier.
    http://depositfiles.com/files/5005254

devour that, then approach the same drawing again.

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 8th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of room drawings how complex should the background be for the storyboards and how well should they follow the rules of perspective?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha! I don't know of any good advice on ignoring perspective.

I made sure there was a sense of depth in mine, but I didn't go to detailed. can't just have the figure hovering in space right?

how much drawings you have left kamil?

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 8th, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have so much work to finish T_T, right now I am doing the storyboards. I finished the hand drawings, but that is it! The life drawings, I feel I've nailed down when it comes to learning to draw the figure but the issue is that I don't have any existing life drawing classes and nobody is willing to pose for me. I tried to redo the character rotations about three times now but the issue I face is when doing it traditionally it is quite hard to make sure everything is lined up before getting the final lines down because you can't really flip the image. I find that if I finished the character rotations everything is smooth road when it comes to the character part because my biggest problem normally has to do with the more technical tidbits of the rotation. I did one part of the room drawing half completed but I am not sure if I should finish it because it is in one-point perspective and I was considering redoing in 2-point( I was not sure though because I've seen in some examples they would one drawing in 1pt perspective and the second view in 2pt). Object drawings frighteningly, I don't have a single clue on what to for the after and I am especially baffled by the composition concept overall(for storyboards I do like rule of 3rds along with horizon line being at the level of the main character).

TL;DR I feel like I may borderline the skill requirements but at the same time extremely pressured to finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I certainly need to pick up my work because I still have my objects(good copy), room drawings to start, and storyboard is almost done! I have an itching feeling that if I keep it up then I can be finished a week before the presentation day LOL I am so lucky I have a lightpad to work with! Bless my boyfriend's heart!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Hey Silvia. There's not much to say, except that the perspective is coming out very warped.
    This is gonna need an overhaul and I know thats not what anyone wants to hear. I get it though, i'm struggling with my room drawings (On my 4th overhaul) so hang in there.
    My best critique is to suggest an artbook on this.
    Uh its Perspective Made easy by Norling
    Linky, linky:

Also try for a horizontal line of 5-6 feet. your current one looks really high, if it was a bit lower it might be easier.
    http://depositfiles.com/files/5005254

devour that, then approach the same drawing again.

Thank you! Like I said, I'm new to perspective so I've got barely any idea what I'm doing so I need all the advice I can get. I'll read the book and then come back to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm disappointed Kamil! I thought you'd have more done.

Ah well, hopefully you got the concepts down and its just about pushing it out?

I have a detailed critique of your hand(s) but i have to do it visually. There's alot of foreshortening issues. the thumb and index finger should be pushing forward not leaning to the side.

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 8th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am disappointed in myself to >_<, I've spent more time practicing than the actual portfolio itself and yeah I have rough work of everything. the issue is that my life would be so much easier if I had access to light table but sadly I don't so I have to redo everything if I either much up the paper to much or sometimes when I get too heavy handed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickels View Post
    Were you here last year? I don't remember much of last year it was crazy hectic in the sheridan information please thread.
    Yep. My portfolio's still up at http://jcuidado.blogspot.ca. I don't know if that'll help cuz I didn't draw anything memorable haha.

[EDIT] I got in last year btw. It's not the strongest portfolio but I'll leave it up here if you guys want to look through it for reference/self-reassurance.

[EDIT 2] I got around 3.35, I think. More importantly, I got all 3s on everything except a column of 4's (storyboard) and a row of 4's (probably proportion?).
    http://sheridanritualsacrifice.tumbl...marking-system
    This post here discusses the weighted score system and the importance of doing especially well on the storyboard section.

Last edited by J. Cui; February 8th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cui View Post
    Yep. My portfolio's still up at http://jcuidado.blogspot.ca. I don't know if that'll help cuz I didn't draw anything memorable haha.

[EDIT] I got in last year btw. It's not the strongest portfolio but I'll leave it up here if you guys want to look through it for reference/self-reassurance.
    What did you get on it btw? its a very interesting portfolio I really like your animal drawings and character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh good lord why does this have to be so difficult! Called Sheridan again because my username/password still isn't working and today they're closed do to weather. Gonna flip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S' pretty bad here Official. Looks like a freaking snow-tsunami.

Kawaii: she/he mentioned 3.3 being their score.

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62