2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome back J.Cui!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t
    Thanks! I see what you're saying with that! I'll fix the front foot (making it flatter will help it look more grounded)

aaaannndddd finalized my expressions today:

I'm finally actually getting stuff done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  actpose2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  76.0 KB
    Thought to share my action poses. rotates done, emotes done.

Atrain: Looking good, I have a more detailed critique on your action poses but it'll have to wait till after work.

OH AND 24 MORE DAYS!!! WOAHAHAHHA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is anyone else having extreme difficulties with Sheridan's site? I applied through OCAD and payed the fee, but when trying to make an account on sheridan's site it won't let me. Keeps saying my address is wrong (it's not). Then it told me to go to the IT room (HA!). So I emailed IT just to get a instant reply that the guy is going to be out of the office from the 28th - 4th (but this was the 25th). Finally got to call the number during business hours yesterday, and I got an answering machine. Why do they hate me?

Anyways, here's an action pose because everyone else is posting them:
    Name:  action.png
Views: 519
Size:  60.8 KB
    Terrible scan, but whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OFFICIALLAMP:

What do you mean by "trying to make an account"?? The account should be set up for you. They mail you a letter with the login information (username is the first 6 letters of your name, surname first, and a random default password). If you're trying to create your own account, that's probably why it's not working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @J.Cui: - That's how it was last year, but I got the letter and it's asking me to "generate a username and password". I'd try my account from last year, but I don't know the password and it won't let me reset.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just call them and ask them to reset your password. I'm still using my old one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did call them, I got an answering machine (twice) and left a message. Guess I'll try again on monday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Call early morning and get in contact with a person. When I called to reset my password, I talked to someone. No message necessary. Infact, where are you leaving a message? They usually direct you to someone.

you're using this number: 905-845-9430 (from Oakville/Mississauga)
    right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weird for me I did not even need to contact anybody to reset my password instead I simply just generated it again. Odd enough it works. I would like to get possible advice on the way to approach the figures from life and whether or not they would like to see figures done in this process.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    weird for me I did not even need to contact anybody to reset my password instead I simply just generated it again. Odd enough it works. I would like to get possible advice on the way to approach the figures from life and whether or not they would like to see figures done in this process.
    It's good that you're trying to show the underlying structure and weight, which is what they want to see, what I would suggest is going for a lighter/simpler block-in (the rough planning underneath). To finish the drawing, try to use fewer, more decisive lines. As long as you've marked down the landmarks on the body correctly and think before you draw, you should be able to make longer, more fluid lines as opposed to short, hesitant, sketchy marks.

It's also important to finish a drawing. There should be clear lines defining all the forms, including hands and feet. You can simplify them (as you have been doing with the feet), but just don't let arms/legs end in empty space.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J. Cui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    You have problems with the legs in a lot of places. I would suggest you do some from real reference because your legs are not how they should be. They are also a bit too short for the head/body. You first figure (though her leg is a little bit too big) and last in the middle are your best in terms of placement and feel. Also don't leave out everything unfinished even if you have to rip the paper off and redo it 10 times. The one thing I don't like is when people jump from one thing to another. Relax, you have the time to do it how you are supposed to. You can use photos as a reference for some muscles for instance. Also don't leave those hands/arms out (and add a few toes here and there) . I know it may be hard but running away from your problems won't fix them. If you are having problems with particular parts of the body try doing them one by one. But that means hard study, including shading since you will get to know the whole object better. Every part of the body is important, main thing is the head which is used to measure the whole figure, but after that everything has to be taken in mind. You may have perfect feet, a perfect torso but everything is ruined if you don't have good hands on the body. So drop the figures or give some more time on learning how to do hands. So work on it and have fun !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would appreciate some feedback on my life drawing, I'm also an animation hopeful Name:  SAM_3582.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  515.7 KBName:  SAM_3586.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  459.0 KBName:  SAM_3587.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  447.8 KBName:  SAM_3590x.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  455.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @IndigoFlames - Cut the shading. Your focus should be on the structure and gesture. To be blunt, it makes it look sloppy. Light and shade is a whole 'nother can of worms and most figure drawings are 3-5 min. Not enough time to worry about it. Use a lighter touch on your block-in and work it up from that instead of using straight dark lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input- I do always tend to make my initial lines too dark which is something I need to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoFlames View Post
    Thanks for your input- I do always tend to make my initial lines too dark which is something I need to work on.
    Hello Indigo, this is a great start. However, your drawings seem very rushed and heavy in terms of lines. Even when doing a 30 sec or 1 min pose we should still be able to see your gestures. At the point of 3-5 min poses is when we should start seeing structure and depth and you want the dominant limb to be coming into effect. Always try focusing on the leg an arm coming forward rather than the entire body. I hope this will help you! I also have a hard time with my dominant limbs but once you have an understanding you can only get better. Try to do your gestures as lightly as possible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indigo focus on the arms. I would give you the same recommendation I gave kamikazel. I want you to study the figure. Your back area (spine) look flat, the torso and legs look good here and there. But I would recommend you do more simple poses. Before doing dynamic ones it's important to have the lenght of the body parts in your head so that you know what you are doing. Measure the width of those hands/arms with a pencil either compared to the head, torso or legs because they are in most casses not the right size/width.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Dunnstar, okay take your time

Here are some recent life drawings that I've done... I'm thinking of using the top right and bottom left, though I have to fix the front leg for that and I don't want to. I'm going to be attending a few more extra life sessions to get some better ones done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! I just created an account so I could join the discussion before I submit my portfolio! I've been following bits of the conversation and found it pretty useful. Should I join some pictures of my stuff? I'd like to get some of your feedback and critiques!
    Also, if some of you have DeviantArt, you can add me, my username is also Linearts there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    atraint your bottom right is probably your best pick for now. The first one's back and right leg need to be fixed. On the second the arms are not done really good (I kinda understand though bottom view is quite hard). On the third one I don't like how you made the back look flat, make it more curled and put a simple S line for the spine. Number four is decent but apart from the right leg you need to fix the right arm too (from the elbow to the hand, don't know exactly how it's called since English is not my native language). The last one can be have those hands checked out and maybe the gastrocnemius muscle (on the front leg) fixed. But I some somehow like the most since it looks more stable than your other figures. You should also work on your arms and more particulary forearms (now I rememberd the word).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm now more than halfway done my portfolio! Just have my second object drawing, storyboard, room drawings, animal, and life drawings left. Luckily, my reading week falls on the 19th-22nd. How's everyone else doing with whatevers left?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't posted in a while! sorry! so busy with school sheesh

here's my character rotation rough (it definitely needs clean up!)

cheerleader archtype!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Linearts and Indigo Flames! I can share my thoughts if you want them?

Sharing my life drawings. Almost done my portfolio, only animals/rooms left.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  33.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  33.9 KBName:  d1.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  33.2 KBName:  d2.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  49.7 KBName:  d4.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by Dunnstar; February 6th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Atrain:

first one, is just a minor bow gripe in my opinion. the bow feels awkwardly on the body. There's my suggestion just for 'reading it better.

2nd one, I'm really not sure. I know she's bowing. but the way she's bowing would set her off balance. I then tried to build it how I would have it, but it looks more like she's stepping forward instead of crossing her legs. Honestly, I don't know how to sell this pose, but I do think receeding the leg in the back will help. foreshortening has a way of giving dynamism to a pose.

oh and the little drawing ontop was my attempt at putting the pose in front view to try and clarify it. I think that pose might work better for getting the "folded legs" bow.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, are you guys still doing critiques on portfolio stuff? I'm applying this year and I didn't really know I was going to go for the animation program until a few months ago so I've only had since around January to be working on my portfolio. I know it's last minute but if I upload some stuff, will some of you give me your critiques? I'd love to get into Sheridan animation (or at least try my best! haha)

Also: what's the best kind of personal art to put in? Is there anything they like to see in particular?
    And: are there any good resources online for hand structure for the hand line drawing? I know the basic gist of how to draw the hand but I'm not great at it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cui View Post
    OfficialLamp, Nickels, kawaiixdesu

I see some familiar names.
    Were you here last year? I don't remember much of last year it was crazy hectic in the sheridan information please thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am hesitant to upload drawings on here because I feel my work isn't good enough or that people might steal my ideas. What is everyone's opinion on lurkers on here and the possibility of drawing "theft" on this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't give drawing theft a second thought. It would be beyond stupid for a person to copy what another is putting in their portfolio. And if they copy something that I don't put in then they're only setting themselves for failure if by some miracle they make it in.
    Post your stuff here if you want to get some feedback to improve your work. If you have that resource elsewhere then don't feel that you have to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe-silvia View Post
    Hey, are you guys still doing critiques on portfolio stuff? I'm applying this year and I didn't really know I was going to go for the animation program until a few months ago so I've only had since around January to be working on my portfolio. I know it's last minute but if I upload some stuff, will some of you give me your critiques? I'd love to get into Sheridan animation (or at least try my best! haha)

Also: what's the best kind of personal art to put in? Is there anything they like to see in particular?
    And: are there any good resources online for hand structure for the hand line drawing? I know the basic gist of how to draw the hand but I'm not great at it.

Thanks!
    Hello, hello pepe.
    To answer your first question. Hell yes, post it up. a 2nd opinion can't hurt. Unfortunately 1 month isn't alot of time for the intense sheridan portfolio process. So really push.

your next question about personal art, all I could really tell you is what I heard on the grape vine. They like traditional stuff (not comics so much) and variety can't hurt. check the tumblr ask page, see if the students addressed it already.

Lastly, the hand drawings should be from observation. you'd want to avoid using outside references anyways. just break it down into basic shapes and refine, refine, refine.

Nickels: i'd just post it up. I don't think you'll get less marks if two people have the same 'idea'. I'm pretty sure they've seen everything by now.

also lurkers: sup!

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61