2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Macabrewaltz View Post
    Oh, sorry about that.
    I'll try posting it again.
    Attachment 1693370
    Hey man, I'm in first year animation right now.
    Guys, the MOST important thing to do with the test pieces is follow instructions. Shading is nice and what-not but it hides structure, line quality and everything they're really looking at. The requirement says in bold to not shade the household objects piece. Just to be safe I wouldn't shade anything really. Sorry man, its probably a bummer since it looks like you spent quite a bit of time on this.

Always be clear on what they are asking for.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddamnitDonna View Post
    Hey man, I'm in first year animation right now.
    Guys, the MOST important thing to do with the test pieces is follow instructions. Shading is nice and what-not but it hides structure, line quality and everything they're really looking at. The requirement says in bold to not shade the household objects piece. Just to be safe I wouldn't shade anything really. Sorry man, its probably a bummer since it looks like you spent quite a bit of time on this.

Always be clear on what they are asking for.

Oh..I think shes applying to illustration >-< and I think they ask for them to shade their objects...completely different requirements @-@ btw...
    hey donna! how are you? how are you liking the program so far?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What?
    I just double checked the instruction sheet, and it says they're looking for creative thinking in the household objects piece...
    I'm applying for Illustration, not Animation :I
    My sheet doesn't mention anything about shading, so I figured if they weren't against it, it'd be acceptable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry Nickels, I have a pc for my games. No xbox

Mac: I checked too, it doesn't really mentioned it but you might be spending too much energy on shading. Aren't those the same objects that'll need to go under some external force later? Your setting yourself up for some artistic difficulty. Sometimes you can't go wrong with simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone, there's a new Sheridan portfolio ask blog that was set up a few days ago by some current students; it seems like it might be pretty useful
    http://sheridanritualsacrifice.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone, there's a new Sheridan portfolio ask blog that was set up a few days ago by some current students; it seems like it might be pretty useful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, my bad then. I don't really know what they want.

Its a really heavy workload, like everyone says. When I got in was like yeah yeah whatever -bad decision. Lots of all nighters/lack of sleep forever. But its awesome and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Just pass everything and get used to gouache cause the teachers a hard marker.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I am still a little troubled by how to make expressions with the kind of mouths drawn for the character. Would it matter if I changed it a bit to be a little more expressive? About John in the pic, is that his idle posture or is he pushing his back forward? storyboarding gets really frustrating when you are thinking both about consistency and setting up the shots >_< especially how you have to consider the relative scale of each object as the character moves through the room you have him in the storyboard.

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storyboards. rough removed, I'll be showing finals come feburary. Thanks for the critiques.

Last edited by Dunnstar; January 29th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I know I haven't been here for like.... *counting* a lot of months! I'm really sorry for missing out a lot. I was caught up with my work schedule, which practically made me work all day for two months (and so on) straight. The good news is that I'm almost done with my portfolio. The bad news is that I'm still slow with my character. It makes me cry tears of blood....

I'll post all of it up by this week or end of this week. Maybe as soon as I finish cleaning it up. Then you guys can shred it as my punishment for not being here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Attachment 1697468
    Attachment 1697469
    Attachment 1697470
    Attachment 1697471

Storyboards. rough of what I plan to do, I think the story works without words but basically, even when parched Coca-cola isn't good enough.
    Your storyboard looks good so far. I would maybe change the second and fourth panel just a bit. Maybe on the second panel, make John stare at the can with googly eyes and have a bit of 'divine light' shining out of the can. The fourth panel isn't very clear for me. Are his hands stuck on the can or is glue coming off? Maybe it's because it's still rough, but it looks good so far. At the fourth panel, remember that he has to accomplish his goal (or not) so remember what he achieved or didn't.

I would also suggest that you change John's hair and face structure a bit so that it can look a bit closer to him.

Overall it's really funny and expressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    Hey guys! I am still a little troubled by how to make expressions with the kind of mouths drawn for the character. Would it matter if I changed it a bit to be a little more expressive? About John in the pic, is that his idle posture or is he pushing his back forward? storyboarding gets really frustrating when you are thinking both about consistency and setting up the shots >_< especially how you have to consider the relative scale of each object as the character moves through the room you have him in the storyboard.
    The same question I'm stuck with.

I see that most of the characters' faces for other portfolios have proportionate faces and structure. It depends on how you decide to change up a little. Take a look at these character faces:

http://dariksmithart.blogspot.ca/201...portfolio.html
    http://yuukihikari.deviantart.com/ga...45917#/d3d05g2
    http://liyuconberma.deviantart.com/g...99618#/d4l6n0p

Even just slight arch of brows or mouth changes what the character's expressing.

I think John is leaning a bit forward. It might be just him posing, not really standing the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by LanKite View Post

LOLOL the page

But it's so useful and encouraging. Thanks current Animation students!!! Thanks LanKite!!

I really gotta focus... lol. Good luck to all! I hope we can all get it.

Last edited by Lycoris; January 27th, 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lycoris atleast youre finished your portfolio. Now you just have to fine tune it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol it's still a long way to go lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo, I've got a question. For everyone who is mailing their portfolio in on 8x11 photocopies, are you sending it in any sort of packaging? Like, a portfolio book with each drawing in plastic sheets? I'm just not sure if that's what they mean by presentation.

Alsooo, I'm waiting til my whole portfolio is done to post it up. :/ Character rotation is finished but that's about it...I'm working on each expression right now and my sad face is done and the happy face is 75% completed but it looks like the 'awesome face' way too much. xD Hope to get that done in 2 days then onto action poses and aaaaghh. Luckily I'm doing super well for consistency imo ^^ Best of luck to everyone! :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, Lyricos it has been awhile. I'm glad to hear you're finished atleast. Definitely post it up, last minute critiques can never hurt (plus if you're struggling with the rotation, like I am, a 2nd opinion might help) and l agree with you on my storyboard critiques, i'm gonna give your advice for panel 2 a shot, see how it works. panel 4, is actually him pulling off a sticker and revealing the Glorious DR. pepper as some knock off coca-cola. Any fan of Dr pepper will understand! I haven't drawn the little labels yet, that should sell the joke, if not, I might zoom in on panel 4.

I'm with you in hoping we all get in, I know it's a kumbyah-thing to say but it would be a bitter victory to get in, while others (who you know worked as hard, don't)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @xKotu - Last year, I sent mine in a binder with sheet protectors. I made it really nice, yet, I only received 2 and 3s in presentation/overall impact. I do not know what they expect for mail-ins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xKotu View Post
    Heyo, I've got a question. For everyone who is mailing their portfolio in on 8x11 photocopies, are you sending it in any sort of packaging? Like, a portfolio book with each drawing in plastic sheets? I'm just not sure if that's what they mean by presentation.

Alsooo, I'm waiting til my whole portfolio is done to post it up. :/ Character rotation is finished but that's about it...I'm working on each expression right now and my sad face is done and the happy face is 75% completed but it looks like the 'awesome face' way too much. xD Hope to get that done in 2 days then onto action poses and aaaaghh. Luckily I'm doing super well for consistency imo ^^ Best of luck to everyone! :3
    Yep that's what they mean by presentation.

They want it really professional. Buy an iyota. I think that's how you spell it.

heh, Lyricos it has been awhile. I'm glad to hear you're finished atleast. Definitely post it up, last minute critiques can never hurt (plus if you're struggling with the rotation, like I am, a 2nd opinion might help) and l agree with you on my storyboard critiques, i'm gonna give your advice for panel 2 a shot, see how it works. panel 4, is actually him pulling off a sticker and revealing the Glorious DR. pepper as some knock off coca-cola. Any fan of Dr pepper will understand! I haven't drawn the little labels yet, that should sell the joke, if not, I might zoom in on panel 4.

I'm with you in hoping we all get in, I know it's a kumbyah-thing to say but it would be a bitter victory to get in, while others (who you know worked as hard, don't)

Yeah I will post them up then. I need a camera...

Character rotation gave me a lot of headache!

lol the knock-off idea

So I just found out that my room drawing had a bit of perspective error, and now it's setting me back, noooo!! But I think I'll always have trouble with perspectives... It's not my best friend.

I have to try finishing early because I have to send it a week earlier than those who live close to Sheridan. The joy of living far away from school.......

I know right? Even hoping for that spot right now's making me a nervous wreck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've redone(hopefully fixed) my storyboard rough: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...jsketch001.jpg

Really need to start finalizing my drawings real soon ><

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    I've redone(hopefully fixed) my storyboard rough: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...jsketch001.jpg

Really need to start finalizing my drawings real soon ><

I'm glad it's really getting active here.

I think the door and the cubicle for the washroom needs to be a bit bigger vertically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can get my rough (or final) room drawing and storyboard done by tomorrow, I'll try to post them up at night time or on Tuesday morning. I still need to do those hands and object drawing... Character would be a lot easier if the rotation's working, which I don't know if it is. I'll probably post up my rough rotations too for criticism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah well, deadlines are done. so anyone can just share anything if they want critiques. So, if you can, share em. I'm surprised you didn't finish your hands drawing yet. definitely the easiest section in the portfolio. I finished it the quickest.

We got decent activity now, but the activity on this thread from March26th-April3rd will be bananas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah well, deadlines are done. so anyone can just share anything if they want critiques. So, if you can, share em. I'm surprised you didn't finish your hands drawing yet. definitely the easiest section in the portfolio. I finished it the quickest.

We got decent activity now, but the activity on this thread from March26th-April3rd will be bananas!
    Its gonna be crazyy and everyone is gonna be nervous but a good nervous if u no what i mean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So after far too many months I got to go back to figure drawing. I'm soooo out of practice and I'm freaking out. Don't know if I'll get to go to another by the time I have to mail this off, so I might have to deal with what I got.
    Name:  figures.png
Views: 484
Size:  293.3 KB

1) I like this one because I feel I explained my construction better, but her midsection is too long.
    2) The line quality looks much better in person, but I'll have to touch it up a bit if I submit this one.
    3) I'm happy with everything except that damn quad attaching to the torso. Just couldn't make it work.
    4) This one is older, but I like how smooth I made the lines, and hopefully the judges will as well.

You guys think any of these could make the cut?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Official I think 3 could work seeing that the proportions are pretty good except for the plain sight issue of the disconnections of her leg to torso. Overall if you get the chance to go to another life drawing class try to work on your arm constructions. I know people say this a lot but gestures are really key to getting everything drawn well because then you can simple construct over it and the proportions and connections are there so you just need to add volume and construction. My suggestion would be to pick up hampton's book and do life drawings alongside it. Right now I feel your arm constructions are off(I have the same issue) from what I am picking up in hampton's book, to get the arms right you need to establish the perspective of the shoulder and to make it simpler construct it using cylinders and wrap the forms around it.

I might post some life drawings up to although right now I can only do em from internet pictures

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I knew someone would need this one day so viola: http://www.2shared.com/complete/o6nM...re_Drawin.html

This is the best book you could ever use for life drawings! i use it on my tablet so its much easier to read haha. Im gonna go back in my hole and draw like a mad woman now

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kawaiixdesu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stand by Andrew Loomis or George Bridgman.

I think 1 is your strongest construction wise and just generaly more visual appealing. Your other ones are good too but you seem to skip on drawing the hands.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished my action poses, though for the first one, I want to fix her wand hand :/

bahhh time to finish my rotation :1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Why do you hide the hands that much? Try doing at least one not so sketchy one. All of the recommended books for anatomy here are good but if you need something for quick reference and solid action posses Burne Hogarth is your man. But I would recommend you revise your old drawings by matching with his since some muscles are way off (at least try fixing one to a 100% where every muscle is done perfectly).
    kamikazel33t gesture drawings are normally efficient if you have solid knowledge of anatomy (at least the basics). I don't really get what you are saying with constructing over though, they are just a quick warm up or a way to catch the movement of the muscle. The best thing to do now is do a full body study from either a photograph or from a book. Your poses are solid though, which the main thing I would personally look in a model drawing. Worst thing would be to have perfect muscles and a model flying around the paper. And as others mentioned concentrate on those hands. Fix the left shoulder of the first one, on the second fix the right hand, on the third the left hand and the right that kinda is bent too much. The forth looks decent though I would still increase the overall width of the forearm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dunnstar Those books helped me out a lot as well, I feel each book explains certain things better than the other though.
    @atrain looking pretty good, I feel as though in the first one the character is either off the center of gravity or not really planted to the floor for some reason though.
    @platform I mean if you read over hamptons book, you can take advantage of gestures to make your construction and placement of the masses less stiff and tie everything together proportionally. generally my process would be to do a quick gesture to capture movement and rough idea of the proportions as well as maintaining rhythm and capturing all these curves. Then I would block in the main masses over the gestures following the lines of rhythm to give me an idea of placement. I would then draw straight lines and do a block in of cylinders for the arms and legs then add in the simplified forms of the arms and legs over the cylinders. After that I would place in the landmarks and try and find overlaps between the muscles and masses making sure to block them in spatially.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; January 31st, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OfficialLamp, Nickels, kawaiixdesu

I see some familiar names.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture is a drawing is a quick spontaneous drawing . It's not a rough sketch of the subject, it's just mean to be done as it is, what you are refering to is a rough sketch/outline. From there on everyone does the process the way they want to. I haven't read over hamptons book so if that is the method it's done, ok. I normally just do simple lines (plus the head, I use to make those simple shapes that Loomis did but now prefer using straigh lines) to make sure the whole body fits the page nicely and the movement is not stiff and then I just start forming the overall shape of everything, after that just start playing with those muscles. I downloaded Hampton and had a quick look at it and honestly it's the same thing like Bridgman and Burne Hogarth (though probably more efficient in teaching you from skratch).

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61