2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Here's some quick thoughts on the characters.

Kawaii, the sense of weight and balance aren't working, she feels like she's floating. your pose is alot like mine for my character, so I made a quick alteration of what would ground her more.
    Also keep your eyes at Half point.
    Attachment 1690071

alright, thats my thoughts.
    Its so refreshing to have someone critic my work Thank you first off!
    I see what you mean about the sense of weight. I was really having a hard time finding a pose that gave her some spunk. From what you've shown me I really need to show that shes more grounded then how I suspected she should be. That arm on her hip was really giving me trouble x_x. I will take your critic and apply it to my final product, I'm so pumped with excitement right now!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy it makes really much more sense with that too. She does looks like she's falling. I'll add this to my amelioration list. Thanks!!

Edit:

I went to the biodome (Montreal's equivalent of a zoo) today to draw some animuls. Which sketches do you think I should clean a bit for my portfolio? Do you think I should do more? I didn't do my cat yet.. mmm...

Last edited by yahualli; January 20th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah-bleh. My holiday season full time work hours kind of didn't go away. I am so behind on everything. Everyone's stuff is really starting to shape up, which is fantastic.
    I've got nothing new to show, but I do have a question:

Does everyone here have a backup plan to Sheridan? My first choice is actually Capilano University, but I keep getting rejected by both, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I wandered back on to this site and found this thread, I'm so glad I did because I'm actually applying for the 2013 fall semester at Sheridan (Bachelor of Illustration). I'm really impressed by everyone's work so far, I love animators work, and I hope everyone applying gets in! (Me too hopefully haha) I just sent my portfolio to Sheridan last week (I live all the way in Manitoba ahhh!) and I'm waiting with baited breath 0_0. I posted most of my portfolio here if anyone wants to browse http://eveybee.deviantart.com/gallery/41743930
    Anyways, I look forward to chatting
    (Still can't believe I found people in the same boat as me haha)

Carpe Noctum
    DA - eveybee.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Does everyone here have a backup plan to Sheridan? My first choice is actually Capilano University, but I keep getting rejected by both, haha.
    Since I'm from Montreal. My two other choices (Sheridan is my first choice) is Concordia university in Film Animation and Centre NAD for 3D animation for films.

Probably will get rejected by the last one..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @yahualli cool, I am from Montreal as well! yet I don't know any french though.
    @Dunstarr Thanks for the critique buddy! To do you one in return, I feel as though the legs are really well structured and wonky. My suggestion would be to use ellipses to create a cylindrical form for the legs and then soften it out and get the desired shape you like. I also feel that your front view looks more like something in between a 3/4 and front view. On a non-technical note, I only realized your character was a flamer when I looked at the description on your blog all those times previously I took him as some sort of Aqua guy. This was probably due to me reacting to the blue color eraseable pencil so perhaps try changing it with a red color pencil?

It's my first time applying out of highschool so I don't really have a back up and plan on applying again. If I don't get the portfolio finished I am sure I will most probably get in next year because I feel like if I work hard enough I can improve just as much as I did now in my attempt to get in. Oh and if I do have to shoot for a second time I won't just be aiming to get in (perfect score).

EDIT: I am having issues deciding about the feet for my character and whether or not the heels should be on the same level as the tip of the foot or not because it does not translate well on side view.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; January 21st, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kamil, i'll see what i can do about the structure of the legs.

Lamp: seneca is a good alternative, and looking into 3d programs couldn't hurt.

I have 2 spots on my application and I don't know how to fill em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am super confused about the room drawings. I am not sure whether to just draw my room and try to keep the perspective consistent or whether to go full on technical and block in everything in a random perspective shot(That means the FOV won't be the same as how you would normally view a room) and use my room as a reference. This is all just way too confusing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I see you guys are still busy with the portfolio as am I. Can't wait to show you guys some stuff but I want to wait until after the deadline just in case some lurkers don't steal my ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are we suppost to use the light blue prisma or regular blue for the drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @yahualli

The first one with the bird looks decent, but I don't know if the twist in its pose is coming across very well. It just sort of looks like his body is slightly smaller than its head. That may just be me though, I had to look back at it a couple of times to realize what was going with its feet. xD

The second one with the penguins look great to me. Good expression captured, sizing looks good. I think you could submit it.

Third one with the feline seems off with sizing. Its head feels like it's more than a third of its body. You could probably fix that though.

Last one I really like. I do think that maybe you should draw a teeny bit of its environment cause I'm guessing that he/she is swimming or something in a lake and instead it feels like he's doing a little flail in mid air. :d

Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot my main reason for checking the forums. If anyone doesn't have enough money to buy each of his books, this link leads you to free PDF files for all of Andrew Loomis' books that you can save to your computer. http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/ Enjoy. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, it's so cool to see other people's work that are applying! I forgot this site had an art school section.

I'm applying to animation as well, and my portfolio's coming along alright. I mostly just have rough stuff that needs to be cleaned up now...

Here's what I've got done for my character so far:

Name:  char design7.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  117.0 KB

I had every intention for these to be the final copies, but there's still a lot to improve on, I think. Front views are always the toughest to do for me, and I feel like, due to the way the legs were positioned, the character kinda looks like he's floating. There's also just some tiny inconsistencies that I'll fix in my final-final run, I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Hey all c:
    I'm new to the forum, I'd just discovered this forum with the help of a friend of mine.
    I guess I'm a little late for most of the group critiques :/ oh well

I'm applying for Illustration this year.
    I'm really intimidated by the program, so I'm sort of too scared to start working on the drawing test...
    So far I only have one of the '3D Objects' drawings done:
    Attachment 1693269
    What do you guys think???

I was also faced with a bit of a dilemma earlier:
    Until recently, I didn't know that the portfolio judges didn't like stylistic work :I
    Which... kind of sucks I guess, considering 90% of the original works that I had brought in on Portfolio Day were stylised.
    So, right now I need to work on my life drawing skills. Anyone have any advice when it comes to proportion??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry im late guys, heres my storyb: http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...toryboardJ.jpg
    Try not to read the words before looking at the images

Last edited by denaliah; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everyone is posting up their characters? Alright, i'll keep the momentum going.

The front and one emote is all I got.

Attachment 1689794
    Attachment 1689795

Kamil, becareful with that belt buckle in 3/4th view, its not suppose to be dead center like that, remember it's sloping against the belly!
    The full body one makes a good impression but the shoulder should be raised along with the arm that is reaised to show tension. For the emote make sure the perspective of the farthest eye is correct, because both eyes look the same size but the head is a 3/4 view

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all you guys work is coming along great. I have a lot of rough work that i need to clean up or redo and then ill be done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Denaliah: Thanks for the critique, I wouldn't have caught any of that on my own.

Actually storyboards weren't due till this week Sunday, but I'll share my thoughts.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out what she was doing just by the panels, though panel 3 is your strongest, panel 4, where the action happens is the weakest. The best thing to do with explosions in comics, (especially with limited panels like this) is not to catch the explosion as it happens, but after it happens. That'll really sell the story I think. Showing her hair frazzled and frazyed with the shell of the lipstick in her fingers, with a wisp of smoke bellowing from it, completely shocked and disoriented will really round out the story.

The drawing itself in panel 1 wheres she's opening the door, her hand should be pushing forward, and her body should be moving into the bathroom(away from the door) instead of into the door.

yahualli: Actually, I find the bird in the bottom left corner, really interesting, if you can ever finish that, I think it'll be quite strong, just the mood and the gesture of it is very nice. As for which one I find the strongest, the bird definitely.

RayDunster: welcome, welcome. Your character is coming along well,but the foot on the right is awkwardly positioned, the way his leg is positions, his food shouldn't be directly facing us like that. I would just alter the slant of the foot more, make it more similar to the one on the left and you'll be surprised how balanced out it'll look. Other thing I noticed is that in the 3/4 his left hand is over his apron, but in the front, its beneath it. Other than those small inconsistencies, i think this character is pretty solid.

Macabrewalts: sorry, the attachment doesn't work. I can affirm that they don't like stylistic work, or 'unique expression' they just want to make sure you can draw, so stick to life drawings, nude drawings, some gestures, animals, objects, keep it simple. I don't know what you mean by 'advice' for proportion, its a fairly large subject. I would honestly just recommend going to life drawing sessions, you can't go wrong with those.

Kamil: Well, i can tell you what I did, a little bit of both, i created my room drawings but they were based off of my kitchen. I don't know the right answer though.

Nickels: Nice to see you back! Hopefully, we get to see it after the submission date.

Last edited by Dunnstar; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turned out another rotation. Drawn in orange and blue, so I leveled it to death in order to get it to show.
    Name:  rotation.png
Views: 497
Size:  190.6 KB
    I swear it shows more structure in person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Macabrewalts: sorry, the attachment doesn't work. I can affirm that they don't like stylistic work, or 'unique expression' they just want to make sure you can draw, so stick to life drawings, nude drawings, some gestures, animals, objects, keep it simple. I don't know what you mean by 'advice' for proportion, its a fairly large subject. I would honestly just recommend going to life drawing sessions, you can't go wrong with those.
    Oh, sorry about that.
    I'll try posting it again.
    Name:  smaller version copy.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  108.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I've been meaning to join the forums for a while, so here I am. I previously completed one year of Visual and Creative Arts at Sheridan, and applied for Animation in 2012. Unfortunately I was not accepted, so I'm trying again. I'll be uploading my failed portfolio soon, but for those curious I scored 2.64 with the required score of 3.06.

Anywho! I still have a lot of work to do on my portfolio (cleaning up lots of messy sketches!), but I'd like to get some critique on my OC character rotation.
    Name:  lilith sketches.png
Views: 1271
Size:  343.8 KB
    This is my character Lilith, who I've been working on for a potential comic. I struggled a lot with the 3/4 front view, especially with the torso/thighs. The tails are all temporary, I'll be redrawing them shortly, so don't worry with commenting on that. Any crits or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I can offer the same for others

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameshark View Post
    Hands on front view look kind of unnatural (as does the back one), I would personally pull out the elbows and bit more. I would also play a little more with the sholders but I am guessing that they carem ore about you drawing what you want and being able to draw it in many ways as possible. I don't know what they look exactly in animation portfolios but overall I think it looks good

Macabrewaltz Your objects seem to be overlaping with each other. Try making the one's behind darker (if both are of similar shading value) even if it doesn't look that way naturally. It's more important to distinguish the different shapes and object than make a perfect copy of what you see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I was wondering what size are you doing the room drawings on. I am am doing it on A4 paper which is roughly a similar size to 8.5x11 inch paper but I was wondering if you guys were working bigger? I wanted to know this because I was wondering whether it would be enough to capture an acceptable amount of details for the room. I was also wondering about whether it seemed acceptable to have it as a one-point perspective in one shot then a multi-point shot in the other or must they all be in a multiple point perspective to get the full score.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Macabrewalts: From what I've seen, especially for Illustration, they really only want to see drawing and study from life in the main portfolio. I had a lot of a stylistic, and fantasy work as well and when I read the portfolio guidelines, I was quite intimidated too. I basically buckled down and forced myself to draw what they wanted to see from me, my desire to get into the program was greater than my fear (Hopefully it works out hehe). The 3 objects drawing is looking good, I love how you added the reflection of the room to the bauble. My only comment would be to render the present a bit more, the lines between it and the candle are a little confusing.

Gameshark: I'm not an animation student or hopeful, but I really like what you've got so far, I would just say to render her toes a bit more, she appears to have only 4 in the first drawing, but in the second it looks like she has 5 on the left foot, and in the third she has 3. I would also like to see pointy toenails, she has these cute little claws on her hands, and it would be nice to see matching toenails. Just my two cents but I hope it helps xD

Kamikazel33t: Personally I used paper around the size of 8.5x11 for the drawing test just for ease of scanning, and it depends of how much of the room you want to include. The window I wanted to draw was quite tall so the paper I used was a bit longer that 11', so that I could include the whole window and part of the room.

Last edited by TwelveGauge; January 23rd, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Carpe Noctum
    DA - eveybee.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! i just found out this forum and post. I really wish ive found this out ealier

i applied to Art Fun and BAA and im working on my portfolio right now.

so i have read something about deadline, what is everybody working on right now? i really hope i can catch up and join u guys!

and im wondering if anyone knows when do u get an accepted or nonaccepted letter? i applied to sheridan around november.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We are working on storyboards due this Sunday.

Acceptances letters roll out around April 1st- to end of the week, but earliest you'll hear about it is march 28th, 27th or even the 26th!

Official: looking good, though the glasses on the profile view are odd, it looks more like goggles then spectacles. a minor alteration and it'll be fine.

Like this, right?
    Name:  glassessv.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  35.9 KB

Gameshark: Honestly, other than the tail and the toes I think its looking fairly consistent and I can't find anything glaring.

Mac: Hmm, well, its not bad, i really like the leaves and the ornament. However, the candle feels fuzzy and the mini-gift feels reflective. the little Christmas ornament feels just right though. I have a feeling the present is the darkest object, yet it feels like its the same colour of all of them. Make sure when you're shading you're keeping in mind the colour and keeping it holistic.

Last edited by Dunnstar; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunnstar - The glasses are a cheat of sort. I see it a lot with characters with glasses, just helps to keep the design recognizable at all angles.

@Gameshark - Very solid feeling construction. A few minor inconsistencies such as the ear size and elbow height, but nothing drastic. Make sure to show your underlining construction as well.

@Macabrewaltz - Focus on your range of values. Although it may just be the photo quality, your values stay pretty well in the middle range and evenly spaced. Objects each have a different transition between light and dark, for example: the candle will have a very slow and smooth transition that will make it look matte, while something shiny has very sharp jumps up and down the scale. This explains it better: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#materials

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know official, I just checked out your tumblr. You blog some interesting things and I can't agree more on the Zelda thing.

I also think they should throw away the mute-hero act, It's time to mix up the formula, cause Zelda is getting +LEGASP+ predictable.

Anyways, point of this post is to announce that I'm following you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    platformerbg: Thanks, I might just try that.

TwelveGauge: Oh man, I didn't even notice the lines between the candle and the present. Thanks for that!
    And yeah, having to give up the majority of my original portfolio pieces because they were stylised was a massive pain :/ Oh well.

Dunnstar: Thank you c:
    the mini-gift is actually made of clear plastic, so I guess it's a good thing that it looked reflective to you?? :I
    I will definitely try and work on keeping it holistic!

OfficialLamp: Thanks so much for the link! It was definitely helpful, and yeah, I get what you're saying when it comes to using darker values. I'll fix it up before I move onto the second one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just curious

Anybody have xbox?

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 60