2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I just wanted to ask how necessary the blue col-eraseable pencils are. I mean if I kept construction lines and under-structure but did it in pencil would it really be a big deal? Looking at Sprogis's work on the portreview blogspot I see he did everything in pencil but that was back in 2008 or 2005(can't remember) and since things change over time I really wanted to know how detrimental it is not to use a col-eraseable pencil. The same goes with life drawing with conte and newsprint( I did get A3 paper to work big though) how necessary would that be? I also have to ask about having action poses for both life-drawing and animal, would it be bad to make all three of my human drawings action poses and both animal drawings resting poses? Also what is considered to be an action pose?

Anyway I finished my final hand drawings although I am not sure if I should publicly display em and now I am working on character rotation. I am actually panicking to finish everything since it seems like you guys have a lot more done and down. I've never done any story boarding so does anybody have some good resources? I am also a bit confused with trying to get the same character down. I've seen successful portfolios in which there storyboard has the same character in a different style of drawing(structures are all the same except for difference in the way they are constructed as well as facial features being drawn differently).

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Col-eraseable pencils just make the process alot easier. if you want to show your construction with pencil, I don't see why you'd be penalize for it.
    2. I use conte for my life drawings. I'll probably have to draw the structure after the fact though.
    3. I don't know about the action poses, I'm scatching my head over that one myself.
    4. action pose is a figure in movement. A pose you know you couldn't hold for very long, essentially.

Time is short, it takes me forever to finish one piece, i'd estimate 2-5 days just to get a 'presentable' one. and then within two weeks, I have to revise, revise, revise. I can't really suggest any books on storyboarding. Have a funny joke is my advice.

It's funny, in a few months this nightmare will be over and we'll know if we succeeded or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I was wondering about the rotations. I just did a tightened up rotation of my character, I did it on A3 paper making the longest side the width. After I was 90% into it I realized that I actually had to do it on a separate paper each. Now would it seem okay if I scanned each of em and then try to somehow line it up on separate pieces of paper in Photoshop or would I have to redo the whole rotation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, here are my animal drawings, just pay attention to the first two, the others are old or not good enough.
    http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...i%20Li/animal/

Btw I haven't received the storyboard characters from sheridan yet, can anyone else confirm that the characters are carol and doug? Btw I really want to work on the storyboard next week because it counts for the most marks and therefore deserves a lot of attention.

Last edited by denaliah; January 13th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  f.gif
Views: 680
Size:  139.4 KB

Hi guys, sorry my drawings are a tad bit late, only discovered this forum now. Is anyone able to critique my character before I do a complete rotation of him; does his structure look alright, etc, etc. Thanks for setting up this thread!

Last edited by jdjake; January 14th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kamil: well, don't you have to scan it anyways and send it? aslong as it reads as seperate papers it wont matter.

Denaliah: Hey! The moose is definitely the strongest but it all feels so stiff. Are these from pictures? Either way, I think you should really focus on pushing the movement and getting that feel of weight and movement.

Hell, I thought people were just too busy to keep up with the deadline, I'll share my animal as soon as I get home.

Storyboards are fine, but perhaps we can try a two week deadline with em? Just to give more people time. And sorry, carol and Dough aren't the characters anymore. It's these crazy characters.

Name:  charSheridan.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  146.4 KB

I'm redoing my storyboards just got a funnier idea.

Jake. waaaaaaaaay too big. resize it, 600-1000 is preferable size. Right now it looks.. well like a bear, I don't see much personality too it. Legs are too close, no room for crotch. Unless you were deliberately going for fat legs. I would definitely rework this before rotation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello friends, I'll also be sending in my application to Sheridan's Illustration program this year. Nice to see that there's a little community here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I'm so behind.. I'll post up my finished character rotation soon, once I get the chance to scan it. :d

Denaliah: I agree with Dunnstar that your animals are stiff. The moose is the strongest but with the weight on your lines, it feels like the legs just...float away. It's not very grounded which is important. The structure show is pretty good though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its pretty cool and also smart how you guys are doing due dates to keep yourselves always drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dunnstar and xKotu: Thanks for the critique, now you mention it the poses can definitely be pushed. The drawings are actually form the ROM drawing dead stuffed animals LOL. And Dunnstar, 2 week storyboard is fine since we don't want to rush the most important part of the portfolio. I just started the rough of my storyboard with the new characters. I actually like these guys better.

Uptown: Well working together certainly keeps motivation going. I don't want to make the mistake of rushing my portfolio at the last minute. Btw are you currently a sheridan animation student?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliah View Post
    Dunnstar and xKotu: Thanks for the critique, now you mention it the poses can definitely be pushed. The drawings are actually form the ROM drawing dead stuffed animals LOL. And Dunnstar, 2 week storyboard is fine since we don't want to rush the most important part of the portfolio. I just started the rough of my storyboard with the new characters. I actually like these guys better.

Uptown: Well working together certainly keeps motivation going. I don't want to make the mistake of rushing my portfolio at the last minute. Btw are you currently a sheridan animation student?
    Nope but I'm applying this year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Nick and Uptown, i'm hoping portfolio work is going good. Feel free to share some of your work.

I'm actually having a crapload of trouble with my rotation. storyboard was pretty smooth for me and I essentially drew all the panels, but still sketchy, not refined. Still, I definitely prefer the new characters. Carol had that obnoxious hairbob crap that I hated drawing.

Soon as my whole portfolio is done, I'll definitely share, even if I don't get in, hopefully I can help someone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Hello Nick and Uptown, i'm hoping portfolio work is going good. Feel free to share some of your work.

I'm actually having a crapload of trouble with my rotation. storyboard was pretty smooth for me and I essentially drew all the panels, but still sketchy, not refined. Still, I definitely prefer the new characters. Carol had that obnoxious hairbob crap that I hated drawing.

Soon as my whole portfolio is done, I'll definitely share, even if I don't get in, hopefully I can help someone.
    Same as me, ill definitely post my portfolio when these evaluations are over

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dunn hahahaha yeah carol was a pain. don't even get me started on doug the dog, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF -shakes fist-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may upload some works later. Unfortunately, chances are high that I'll be attending OCAD rather than Sheridan. Sheridan has a great program, undoubtedly better than OCAD's, but I need to find time to work during the semester and OCAD's course load and location will make that a lot easier to do. I'll still be applying to both.

I live in Montreal, the move to Toronto will be taxing enough on me as it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NicktheLadd View Post
    I may upload some works later. Unfortunately, chances are high that I'll be attending OCAD rather than Sheridan. Sheridan has a great program, undoubtedly better than OCAD's, but I need to find time to work during the semester and OCAD's course load and location will make that a lot easier to do. I'll still be applying to both.

I live in Montreal, the move to Toronto will be taxing enough on me as it is.

I went to OCAD, what will you be studying?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    I went to OCAD, what will you be studying?
    what program did u take in OCAD?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone, I just joined this forum!
    I'm just wondering, does ocas charge everyone $22 for getting their high school transcript? (or am I just missing something lmao)
    because wow this application is draining so much money...=/

...I just decided to try for the animation portfolio a few days ago, so I'll be really behind schedule haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why is this thread so dead ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!! I'm applying this year and I just started my portfolio like last week (Super duper late woops) and I'm almost done with my character turn around. I'll post it later. This thread would have been super awesome if I would have discovered it earlier lol. I think I can do this on time however.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey! I'm back yet again!!

Last year I was on the waitlist for animation and I'm currently in Fundamentals.

I'm applying for Animation again this year as well as Illustration as a back-up!!

Also, here's some things that I've learned in fundies that are going to help A LOT!

LIFE DRAWING

- LINE QUALITY AND PROPORTION ARE KEY
    - Line quality is basically the use of the line, more detail and darker more solid lines in the foreground and lighter more clouded lines in the back (atmospherics are key)
    - As for proportion, they like to see the inner structure lines, the bubbles if you will
    - Also, for action poses, these are typically no longer than 5 minutes and should show movement in posture or an actual action.

ANIMAL DRAWING
    - Again, keep these loose and somewhat rough
    - show line quality and structure, but make these quick, more like a life drawing but with animals

That's the main bit of stuff I never knew the first time I applied but they are VERY important!! And it's just good to know 8D

Also, I thought I'd include my rough character expressions for a bit of a critique. I'm redoing the majority of them based on a second year animation students critique but It's always good to have more advice

Last edited by atrain; January 19th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome atrain and yahuli and Lankite (yes 22, is only if you're out of high school).

Thanks for the insights Atrain. I like your character so far, how goes the rotation? The left ear on the happy emote feels abit long and I don't know, but I feel that maybe a little snout would help the character. right now it feels abit flat for an animal but I don't know if a snout will really work for your character, give it a shot, see how it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is my character so far. Roxanne the flight attendant parrot. Although I will redo the sad face and the wing on the 3/4back because they're in need of revision, what do you think could improve??

Atrain: I love your rabbit. He's really expressive!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you all over at this thread!

@Atrain thanks for the advice I found the information on the life drawing you posted to be most valuable! I am sorry but I have nothing to say much about the character. I must say though that it is looking good till now!

@Yahualli Your character is looking pretty good too so far! What I can say though although you probably have noticed it already with the camera mirroring your image is that the toes on the front view are not looking to even between the two feet and that in the back view it's not spaced correctly and for the expression sheet you could try and squash and stretch the faces a bit more(perhaps stretching the brow form a bit more upward in the surprised part of the expression).

I am still confused about the rotation for the character. Do we have to rotate it on separate pieces of paper or could I Photoshop on a separate piece of paper. Currently I finished a rotation although I feel that the face on the 3/4 view does not really seem right and I started on a new rotation although this time I took up more space on the paper and modified my character a little bit as well as gave it a more asymmetrical pose. I have my hand drawings finished although I am not sure if I should post it right now since(although it probably won't be any of you) I am a little concerned about people who might find this thread and attempt to use it in their own portfolio submission.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    @Yahualli Your character is looking pretty good too so far! What I can say though although you probably have noticed it already with the camera mirroring your image is that the toes on the front view are not looking to even between the two feet and that in the back view it's not spaced correctly and for the expression sheet you could try and squash and stretch the faces a bit more(perhaps stretching the brow form a bit more upward in the surprised part of the expression).
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to work on that and will show the results

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everyone is posting up their characters? Alright, i'll keep the momentum going.

The front and one emote is all I got.

Name:  fr1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  emot1.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  33.8 KB

Kamil, becareful with that belt buckle in 3/4th view, its not suppose to be dead center like that, remember it's sloping against the belly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a reminder for new folks, if you want your storyboards critiqued get em in by next Sunday!

That's January 27th (4 weeks from the real deadline)

By the way, whose going on the first day. I'll be there on feb 25th.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haven't been drawing. so many conflicting thoughts. fawkjefhawuehlwekhgw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not the latest picture of her but yeah, shes a ghost hunter lol and her understructure cant really be seen because of my camera.
    Hows everyones portfolios going?

Name:  Photo on 2013-01-17 at 10.52 PM.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  147.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some quick thoughts on the characters.

I was abit unsure about this. I don't know whether you want your character to be leaning, if so, you should have her pushing off her front claws. If not, then you should try and rectify this, because right now it feels like she's gonna fall over. My half assed suggestion is to extend the legs back a little, like so and give her slightly bigger feet.
    Name:  mll3sk2.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  52.5 KB

Kawaii, the sense of weight and balance aren't working, she feels like she's floating. your pose is alot like mine for my character, so I made a quick alteration of what would ground her more.
    Also keep your eyes at Half point.
    Name:  kawaii2.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  94.8 KB
    the 3/4's are always hard, just remember that the ribcage is pushing forward as is the pelvis, you want to get that slope in there and have the legs jutting downwards.
    Name:  kamil2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  58.6 KB

Last edited by Dunnstar; January 20th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast