2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Sheridan College (Animation and Illustration) Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dena I can't really pick out specific crits so instead I'll offer a little suggestion. the drawings look a bit inconsistent so what I'd recommend is you do some sketches in flash or a similar program. I've been doing this every now and then to really try and get that rotation down so it could help you out too. sketch out the basic shapes of your character and maybe overlay the details on another layer. then just scrub through the frames or onion skin your stuff so you can see the consistency between each drawing, lotsa things you could do to get the details looking right. I'd recommend you draw one section at a time and see if it helps you out! :3

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @denaliah Looks pretty good imo. I did notice though that the dogs ears in the side view and the 3/4 back view were inconsistent with the other ones since it appears to fold differently. Might want to fix that. o;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @denaliah I am not sure if you were doing it or not but it will also be better to use a rules to measure and draw lines to the various views to be able to make the characters proportions align correctly. There was also the problems with the inconsistency of the ear where in one view it does not fold and in the other it fold and then in the other it folds in a different way. Other than that your character shows a nice sense of structure and it really has that sense of volume.

Sorry guys I did mean February 22nd I wrote the post when I was really tired and when it was late at night so my mind was playing tricks(I actually wish submissions were on march though D. Thanks for the link xKotu but I feel as though the standards of what he considers a good portfolio piece to be lower than Sheridan's standard so pretty much the things which exceeded his standards are the Sheridan's standard since to get in you need to be on the higher tier of "Meets The Standard" or at "Exceeds Expectations".

I always thought that if I generally practice gestures and life drawing, I would automatically get good at animal drawings in where the foundation is there so I just need to study that particular animal a bit more(it's overall structure etc.) and then after a few drawings I would be able to get things right. BTW on animal drawing there is a section on http://artists.pixelovely.com/ which allows you to gesture drawings of animals so if you can't go to the park or any other place you go to, it will be some good practice till then.

I am a not sure as to whether or not to still continue improving my character or use that time to get better at drawing overall

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @denaliah I am not sure if you were doing it or not but it will also be better to use a ruler to measure and draw lines to the various views to be able to make the characters proportions align correctly. There was also the problems with the inconsistency of the ear where in one view it does not fold and in the other it fold and then in the other it folds in a different way. Other than that your character shows a nice sense of structure and it really has that sense of volume.

Sorry guys I did mean February 22nd I wrote the post when I was really tired and when it was late at night so my mind was playing tricks(I actually wish submissions were on march though D. Thanks for the link xKotu but I feel as though the standards of what he considers a good portfolio piece to be lower than Sheridan's standard so pretty much the things which exceeded his standards are the Sheridan's standard since to get in you need to be on the higher tier of "Meets The Standard" or at "Exceeds Expectations".

I always thought that if I generally practice gestures and life drawing, I would automatically get good at animal drawings in where the foundation is there so I just need to study that particular animal a bit more(it's overall structure etc.) and then after a few drawings I would be able to get things right. BTW on animal drawing there is a section on http://artists.pixelovely.com/ which allows you to gesture drawings of animals so if you can't go to the park or any other place you go to, it will be some good practice till then.

As for me,I am a not sure as to whether or not to still continue improving my character or use that time to get better at drawing overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t I'm pretty sure the site was made a little while ago so the standards always increase. xD But you're right. I was mainly just sharing it as guidelines. Pretty sure everyone's aware that Sheridan's a hardass school. >_< I think that you should do both, if possible. If you have your character rotation kind of down, let it sit for a while and improve on your drawing skills and then come back to it in a week or two. :3 That's my recommendation at least.

ALSO! Merry Christmas/Happy holidays everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kamikazel33t I'm pretty sure the site was made a little while ago so the standards always increase. xD But you're right. I was mainly just sharing it as guidelines. Pretty sure everyone's aware that Sheridan's a hardass school. >_< I think that you should do both, if possible. If you have your character rotation kind of down, let it sit for a while and improve on your drawing skills and then come back to it in a week or two. :3 That's my recommendation at least.

ALSO! Merry Christmas/Happy holidays everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely link there Kamil. Adding to topic intro.
    Though in person will always be better, this is a good substitute.

Denaliah, i'm seeing great structure but the pose isn't translating well. It doesn't feel like its standing firmly, and the slope of the pelvis/shoulders is inconsistent in some views. I would just work on getting the balance and weight down in the front view and then slowly turn it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys! It's been a while! I've been drawing like a maniac and I'm trying to get my mind off school. I'm not even sure if I'll be going back to be honest! it's mostly for personal reasons. However, I will be posting some things up through the week. Today I would like to wish everyone a merry christmas! I hope everyone gets what they want and enjoys their time with their family. My gift to you guys is this link I would when going hunting!

http://www.parkablogs.com/content/in...ence-art-books

I found it very interesting because theres this one guy and he reviews a bunch of books he buys! I think it's awesome but anyways I've been working on my character astrid.Name:  Photo on 2012-12-24 at 3.27 PM.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  139.4 KBName:  Photo on 2012-12-24 at 11.24 PM #2.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  166.0 KBName:  Photo on 2012-11-29 at 10.06 AM #2.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  128.0 KB

I've been drawing her in different ways but Ill have a final ready soon! I've also been drawings animals and hands so that'll be next! everyone enjoy your holidays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kawaii looks pretty neat, I like the eyes especially. I would say work on the way the arms fold though, they look a bit too rigid.

this is so weird. I remember when I used to hate digital drawing and couldn't draw on a tablet to save my life (arguably still can't), now I'm trying to sketch things out on paper and I find myself wishing sai's stabilizer existed irl.. @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kawaii Hey! it's nice to seem some of your work. Now let's see what I can do for a critique, I really like the the style your going for in your character because I feel she has a lot of personality but I feel as though you need to setup a better sense of structure and push the shapes further. when you posed your character, you posed it pretty stiff because you drew the spine straight that the line of action does not flow properly. You should try and implement what Vilppu tries to teach in his book with the exercise of bending and twisting around two attached spheres or a cube with an attached sphere this way you could substitute that with the rib cage and pelvis because right now it seems you are using skeletal structure to define your character but not an overall structure where you use basic shapes to define your character(e.g sphere for the torso and pelvis and using cylinders for arms and legs then defining the form over it).

@floppy Yeah, it's always good to draw traditionally because it trains your coordination. Feng Zhu makes his students begin with traditional mediums so that they can learn to draw straight lines and ellipses in freehand and even when they are in PS or any painter program they do all their lines and shapes in freehand. You can train your co-ordination by everyday start sketching by first filling a page of ellipses, Straight lines, and curved lines then continue doing your work. Check out this video of how Feng Zhu does his straight lines

Anyway, thanks for the link I found it a while back though when browsing through google. Speaking of books, I think it will be a good idea to put up a list of useful books in the introduction. Although it may not be too useful for use to do this but for any future applicant this thread will be like a gold mine. Anyway here are the list of books I found to be really useful.

All of the Andrew Loomis books
    All Bridgeman Books(The Complete Guide to Life Drawing)
    Michael Mattesi - Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
    Michael Hampton - Figure Drawing: Design & Invention
    The Vilppu Drawing Manual
    Nicolaides - The Natural Way to Draw

I was wondering if anybody knows any exercise or any piece of information to help with line quality particularly towards using different lines to portray different things?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kawaii Hey! it's nice to seem some of your work. Now let's see what I can do for a critique, I really like the the style your going for in your character because I feel she has a lot of personality but I feel as though you need to setup a better sense of structure and push the shapes further. when you posed your character, you posed it pretty stiff because you drew the spine straight that the line of action does not flow properly. You should try and implement what Vilppu tries to teach in his book with the exercise of bending and twisting around two attached spheres or a cube with an attached sphere this way you could substitute that with the rib cage and pelvis because right now it seems you are using skeletal structure to define your character but not an overall structure where you use basic shapes to define your character(e.g sphere for the torso and pelvis and using cylinders for arms and legs then defining the form over it).

@floppy Yeah, it's always good to draw traditionally because it trains your coordination. Feng Zhu makes his students begin with traditional mediums so that they can learn to draw straight lines and ellipses in freehand and even when they are in PS or any painter program they do all their lines and shapes in freehand. You can train your co-ordination by everyday start sketching by first filling a page of ellipses, Straight lines, and curved lines then continue doing your work. Check out this video of how Feng Zhu does his straight lines

Anyway, thanks for the link I found it a while back though when browsing through google. Speaking of books, I think it will be a good idea to put up a list of useful books in the introduction. Although it may not be too useful for use to do this but for any future applicant this thread will be like a gold mine. Anyway here are the list of books I found to be really useful.

All of the Andrew Loomis books
    All Bridgeman Books(The Complete Guide to Life Drawing)
    Michael Mattesi - Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
    Michael Hampton - Figure Drawing: Design & Invention
    The Vilppu Drawing Manual
    Nicolaides - The Natural Way to Draw

I was wondering if anybody knows any exercise or any piece of information to help with line quality particularly towards using different lines to portray different things?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the critique guys! yes, Kamil I am aware of Vilppu's teaching however I have not reached the point yet to test those until I do action poses and more into the rotation!! Ill try them out though im finding my style for her as of now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! Anyone else having trouble applying to the program on OntarioColleges.ca? When I search for the program to add it to my program choices, it doesnt show Sheridan Animation, only Sheridan Animation (Bridging). In fact, it shows only the bridging programs for any Bachelor program at Sheridan if you type in Bachelor as the search term. Frustrating.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just checked myself. It works.

Make sure you specify that you are starting a new application. Go to My Applications > then pick from Year Aug 2013 to Jan 2014.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Just checked myself. It works.

Make sure you specify that you are starting a new application. Go to My Applications > then pick from Year Aug 2013 to Jan 2014.
    AHA! Brilliant! Didn't know to do that, thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, January is almost starting and I guess we are restarting the deadlines again. What are we doing for the first week?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, alright, 3 days early wont hurt anyone. I propose we start with Animal Drawing. Drawing from life is recommended but if you can't, kamil provided us with a nice link,
    Over here; http://artists.pixelovely.com/

For people in Toronto, The Rom has a lot of stuffed animals you can start with or you can try pet shops.

One drawing (two if you're feeling ambitious) due Sunday, January 6th, 2013. That's the Sunday after this one. Happy drawings.

Considering the due dates, Feburary and March are coming up, we probably wanna step up our game. Leaving a 3week window for revision and what not. I've gotten alot of work done this month and I'll slowly be posting them up to. Feel free to share any pieces you feel are 'finished'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a question, are they going to hit you hard if your do any of your life drawings from photo reference? I mean I was contemplating doing it for the life drawing(due to no access to life drawing). I understand that there are issues which come about which are things such as lens distortion and such and also how when people do drawings from photos they are not thinking about the three dimensional space, I also have a back up plan in-case I am unable to this which is to most probably draw one of my brothers in his boxers .

The one thing I find the most annoying is drawing small furry animals(the pet store I am going to only sells hamsters and rabbits the rest are animal care products) because for example with those tiny hamsters you really have to squint at them as well as them and the rabbits being furry it is hard to distinguish the multiple forms that build them up. What I was thinking of doing is actually studying the anatomy of them then going back and sketching them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a question, are they going to hit you hard if your do any of your life drawings from photo reference? I mean I was contemplating doing it for the life drawing(due to no access to life drawing). I understand that there are issues which come about which are things such as lens distortion and such and also how when people do drawings from photos they are not thinking about the three dimensional space, I also have a back up plan in-case I am unable to this which is to most probably draw one of my brothers in his boxers .

The one thing I find the most annoying is drawing small furry animals(the pet store I am going to only sells hamsters and rabbits the rest are animal care products) because for example with those tiny hamsters you really have to squint at them as well as them and the rabbits being furry it is hard to distinguish the multiple forms that build them up. What I was thinking of doing is actually studying the anatomy of them then going back and sketching them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They will be able to tell and you'll probably lose marks. From life produces the best results, so yeah I'd suggest getting more intimidate with your brother.

I mean its a last ditch resort, but try not to use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They will be able to tell and you'll probably lose marks. From life produces the best results, so yeah I'd suggest getting more intimidate with your brother.

I mean its a last ditch resort, but try not to use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was the forum down for everyone else?
    Anyways, here's my character turnaround progress. Still too many inconsistencies between the angles, the 3/4 views need to be redone for sure.
    Name:  turn1.png
Views: 1026
Size:  232.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp the forums were down for everybody, and it was down for almost two days I guess? Anyway, you said it yourself there are a lot of inconsistencies in the different rotations, I think it may be beneficial to use ellipses to define your characters leg form(at least show construction lines at the as it adds spacial depth to it.

Did I do better this time around with the hand drawing? I mean if that is so, I will be finishing them this week as well as doing those animal drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @OfficialLamp the forums were down for everybody, and it was down for almost two days I guess? Anyway, you said it yourself there are a lot of inconsistencies in the different rotations, I think it may be beneficial to use ellipses to define your characters leg form(at least show construction lines at the as it adds spacial depth to it.

Did I do better this time around with the hand drawing? I mean if that is so, I will be finishing them this week as well as doing those animal drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Was the forum down for everyone else?
    Anyways, here's my character turnaround progress. Still too many inconsistencies between the angles, the 3/4 views need to be redone for sure.
    Name:  turn1.png
Views: 1026
Size:  232.7 KB
    I wouldn't advise including a prop in your rotation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah. sites been down. Hey everyboddy. I just applied, picked first day drop in, monday. literally less than 2 months left. Time really does fly.
    Anyways, loving what i'm seeing with new char offical. I'd spend a little time on the boots, feel lack luster compare to the rest of your design.

I'm seeing improvement Kamil, especially in the quality of your line. keep pushing, your gaining skill quickly.

As for me, I just have my rotations and storyboards left (Plus animals this sunday) and I guess I'm done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah. sites been down. Hey everyboddy. I just applied, picked first day drop in, monday. literally less than 2 months left. Time really does fly.
    Anyways, loving what i'm seeing with new char offical. I'd spend a little time on the boots, feel lack luster compare to the rest of your design.

I'm seeing improvement Kamil, especially in the quality of your line. keep pushing, your gaining skill quickly.

As for me, I just have my rotations and storyboards left (Plus animals this sunday) and I guess I'm done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    example of what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post

cool, I just paid for my application, how do we select the portfolio drop off date?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to the sheridan site, My Student Center.
    Then event registration.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 62