Balancing Artwork (Work) with Friends, Family etc.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Balancing Artwork (Work) with Friends, Family etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Balancing Artwork (Work) with Friends, Family etc.

So as you all might have guessed from the title my question is basically how do you guys do it?

Now as I could have asked this question on a life management website's forum I figured I would ask a community of people who are a bit more qualified to answer this because all of us share the same passion for art and most of you can relate to what I am going through. Right now I am dedicating 8+ hours a day to drawing (mostly the human figure) on my days off of work. I am a strong believer in practice makes perfect and in my opinion time not spent drawing is time that could be spent doing it and bettering yourself. To make a long story short I could always draw well but I kind of goofed off in high school and wasted a lot of time not doing anything art related and now that I am 24 years old and getting serious about my life and career I am trying to make up for lost time.

The thing is my family and friends are starting to realize that I have all but dropped off of the face of the earth because I spend so much time practicing. It's starting to upset them and I feel really bad and try to explain to them this is only temporary until I have a solid grasp on everything I draw. My question for all of you is how do you guys do it and does it get easier for you when it comes to working and drawing in the industry are the demands too much do you even have time for anything else?

I ultimately would like to be a concept artist and illustrator for video games so this question is mainly directed to the people working in the business already or have the same passion I do and spend endless hours practicing like myself. If drawing is just a hobby for you and you aren't working in the industry please don't reply no disrespect

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I married someone who appreciates esoteric subjects and likes art, fantasy, etc...basically a lot of the things I like.

But whats important is that my wife could see I was srs buzness about the arts. I didn't bugger around with fan art
    or 5 dollar commissions. I studied, I practiced, I submitted portfolios. Because of that, she indulges me in my self-imposed
    seclusion in my studio and on the PC. She's very supportive and my biggest critic. My friends know the score and they dont
    give me any hassle either. I make time for them when I can and its always epic when we get together, probably because I'm
    not out with them every weekend anymore.

When I do contracts, she takes on the extra burden and I make it up to her when the paycheck comes. It's a win win relationship.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Misery loves company and people who don't have passion for what they do or just collect a paycheck because they never figured out what they wanted to do will always try to drag you down and get you off your game. This goes double for family members and relationships. Get rid of them or ignore them. Do what you need to do to become successful or you'll end up just like them.
    Artists aren't normal people and can't act like normal people unless you work for someone else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    But whats important is that my wife could see I was srs buzness about the arts.
    On a completely different note, I never realized there was much of a market for your kind of art in South Africa. Can you make a living out of it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I married the most amazing woman in the world that understands the sacrifice that it takes to live this life, but I also make a point to make time for her whenever possible.
    She understands how important it is to me and that not only do I need to work during the day, but I also need to do personal work at night to stay sane.

Having an understanding partner is key.
    Over the years, she's actually become my rock. When I start to falter and lose inspiration, she is there to give me ideas. She's not an artist herself, but she is still incredibly creative. I dunno what I'd do without her.

If art is your passion and you are with someone that isn't understanding of this fact, you are going to have a difficult time in life.
    I do personally believe it takes a special person to tolerate an artist if they are not one themselves.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All my friends are mostly writers or have kids. Guess how much time they have for other things? I've already told them I may fade from time to time for long stretches because I'm working on getting the life I want. They understand. They all know if they need me, just call and I'm there.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    On a completely different note, I never realized there was much of a market for your kind of art in South Africa. Can you make a living out of it?
    I work for overseas clients. Also, not all my art is fantasy/horror and my South African subject matter is all people and animals and kids illustrations.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I work for overseas clients. Also, not all my art is fantasy/horror and my South African subject matter is all people and animals and kids illustrations.
    Ah, I see. Now the world makes sense again.

Some years ago I worked with two young brothers who were both pretty good at manga. They both had to do a day job, because around here there is simply no market whatever for that, and they were not willing to branch out into anything else. Had they taken up wildlife art,they may well have made a fortune. :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys for your feedback now I don't feel like a complete douche lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is my family and friends are starting to realize that I have all but dropped off of the face of the earth because I spend so much time practicing. It's starting to upset them and I feel really bad and try to explain to them this is only temporary until I have a solid grasp on everything I draw.
    This isn't temporary, drawing is hard, you'll always have to practice at it

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My schoolmates have commented on my tendency to be quiet and anti-social after I started drawing. Though in reality it's because I'm usually drawing now, and it's not easy for me to draw and devote my attention to talking to another person at the same time. I don't let it bother me, though.

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and donít waste time.Ē -Michelangelo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Provenzano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not quite sure why you should feel bad about this, at 24 I was devoting 8hrs a day to playing video games. That's something to feel bad about.

On a serious note, try and organize your time more effectively. There should always be time for family and friends. If you are just practicing your craft and not actually working for clients, then time shouldn't be an issue.

One thing you could do is take your sketchbook with you when you get together with your friends and draw them. two birds with one stone BAM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Fireblade - I was doing that same thing. More than.. Got tired of it.

Also, if you're decent/good at drawing -and you've got some speed, people really enjoy watching you draw.

OP:
    1) What's wrong with being a quiet person?
    2) You don't sound anti-social - you've found something you enjoy doing more than hanging out and doing stupid stuff. Congrats.
    3) The family thing could be difficult - you have to decide if you want your life to be art, or if it's a hobby. If you want it to be your career - educate yourself MORE about it, then educate your parents about it. Let them know its what you want to do. Your parents should WANT you to do what makes you happy, so they should be open to it as long as they see you're serious about it. Art is a difficult field (with that in mind, what ISN'T a difficult field in today's world??). So make sure it's what you want. If it IS, hit it with everything you've got.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for your helpful information I honestly thought this post would get ignored but as a new member to this forum its nice to see this community supporting each other.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.