Art: Student Game Project - Character Concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Student Game Project - Character Concept

Okay, so here I've got a design for a game character for an Arena type game. Would really love to get some constructive criticism on this. Do you feel the proportions are balanced? Do you feel that the character has a somewhat of a broad appeal? Whatever you can think of to critique I would love to hear about it!
    Name:  Character Concepts_v2_resized.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  191.2 KB

Okay, sorry for the big picture at the ending, not sure how to edit it out of this post since it doesn't appear in the text box!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it is coming along well. There is a fun balance going on with the bigger hands but small arms, maybe try something similar with the lags and feet? Also try adding some color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I will try to see what I can come up with!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the style of it, and I can see it fitting well into an arena type of game. One thing I would add is that the perspective
    on the hammer head looks a bit off, so maybe try and fix that. Otherwise I like it. Of course, like it has already been said, try adding color. I think it would be cool for you to try and do a full line up of characters or at least just a small selection to give a taste of how the game would play. Also, some concepts of the arenas would be another thing to shoot for. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply GON3POSTAL, I would love to add a full roster of characters to play as, but our group was unlucky enough to end up without an animator, limiting us to one type of character. Having said that, what I am thinking of doing is that I will replace his face and hair and colour scheme to be able to make out different characters more easily. This isn't the preferred way to go about it, as I would love to create some bigger variation in each one's silhouette.

Colour-wise I will get to that as well, Just wanted to get some quick feedback on the general shape and feel of him before going there (so that I can address any major changes as early as possible). Again, thanks for the reply, and I will be updating on the process as soon as I have something solid to show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so here's an update, someone felt the hammer was a bit uninspired, so I tried another design on it, please tell me what you think of it and the new design in general. And yes, that is a jetpack contraption of some sort on his back.
    Name:  Character Concepts_v3.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  530.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the new drawing. I'm digging the polished opper and bronze look. I dont know how i feel about the tubbing that connects the outside of the hammer to the inside of the hammer. The steam powered look you added to it does look good. Also the change to the laggs is super cool. i see this guy doing some fast rush towards his opponent.

I think the next step would be to tighten up the line work and rendar it a bit more. Also where there is suppose to be glow make it glow.

-Adrian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  LocoMoto_FullRender_v2_Small.png
Views: 862
Size:  462.6 KB

Took some time but I finally finished this, this is not so much of a feedback piece as I just wanted to share the result. There are likely to be some inaccuracies especially when it comes to perspective and what not (this is something I am practising on so it will get better for sure! So just be patient with me ) So that's that for now. Thank you for giving me feedback it has really helped a lot on improving the design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting! Nice seeing your process from beginning to end. In the final image I think his nose may be dominating his face a bit too much. And the wooden portion of his arms(his right our left) gets lost a bit tonally with the values in his torso. It also connects strangely to his hands, it feels off a bit. The leg closer to us looks ok, but the one behind him is going in a couple of different directions and looks strange Same with the arms.. I also think you could play up your textures even more to give better personality and differentiate materials some. I honestly think this is going in a cool direction. Can't wait to see where it goes next!! Well done so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the feedback, I know I'm a bit late with the reply. I'm aware that there are inaccuracies in the drawing (I should really practice more some of the basic stuff like perspective). As is now the character has gone into 3D production since I really can't spend more time on it on this stage with time constraints and all.

I also need to practice texturing in drawing as you said, and I will be doing many drawings in the future and it should help me improve a lot. Thank you so much, I will work with things you pointed out for future drawings

Members who have read this thread: 1