Thread: The Juice Stain OR I have the need, the need to improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Juice Stain OR I have the need, the need to improve

Hey all, welcome to "The Juice Stain"

OR

"I have the need, the need to improve"

I will be uploading my art regularly (hopefully) but I am currently studying for my degree and I will have plenty of work and exams coming up.

I am still a noob ( ) So please don't kill me but I do like criticism as I believe it helps and I do take it to heart and want to learn as much as possible and and and (There were a lot of ands in that sentence). Any tips and guides would be helpful as well as general feedback and advice!

Just a bit about me:

My name is Andrew Pieterse, I am studying at Vega School of Branding (Doing A BA in design and branding, specializing in multimedia). I am currently living in Durban South Africa but recently moved here from Christchurch New Zealand, I enjoy games, movies, and good books as well as sketching and I am getting into digital painting.
    Check me out on Juiceboxcowboy.deviantart.com (or Don't).

Here is some of my work:

Name:  profile pic.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  111.1 KB

^ I was told I needed to attatch the image I wanted as my forum avatar to this post for it to show up (If there is a better way of doing this could someone please tell me, thanks! ) ^

Last edited by JuiceBoxCowboy; November 17th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Work

Still in Greyscale, I need to find out how to colour this, if you have any tips, please share!
    Name:  cathederal Painting.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  265.4 KB

Painted from a ref
    Name:  Scene 2 buildings 1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  337.5 KB\

Also painted from a reference, this one is actually in New Zealand
    Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  246.7 KB

A kind of dark forest thing (which isnt very dark)
    Name:  Scene 1 Full edit.jpg
Size:  246.6 KB

A king/ noble guy?
    Name:  Scene 1 King.png
Size:  690.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the ridiculously large images, I will minimize the next time I upload!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Still Life 1 JPG.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  124.2 KB

Still life practice, an apple and a head/bulb of garlic sitting on a green stool.

It took around 40 mins.

I will also be uploading some work from a recent uni project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Water Full Composition.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  Earth Full Composition.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  198.1 KB

Name:  Air Full Composition.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  200.7 KB

Well, these take a little bit of explaining; this was for a project at uni where we had to tell a story from our lives in an exagerated way, I decided to tell the story of the Canterbury earthquakes and I came up with a story which went like this:

It was a time of peace in Canterbury; the local tribes had settled their land disputes with one another and those ruling the city of Christchurch.
    Christchurch was thriving, a city of culture and wealth; a large cathedral stood towering above the city, its houses, taverns, and walls. The cathedral was a beacon of hope and prosperity to all who witnessed it, made by the forefathers of the land.
    All was perfect, but for that which was unseen.

The tribes spoke of three great spirits that lived in, and were the land; Unseen by men these spirits roamed the land and did as they pleased, sometimes appearing to us in our times of need or during great trouble.

The spirit of the earth was the oldest of all, he was a tired spirit and could spend years in hibernation. Rarely he would appear to people but when he did he would come in the form of a stag, strong and powerful.

The spirit of water was calm and patient but had a fury that sailors could vouch for. She appears as a large golden fish.
    The spirit of the air was the most unruly of the spirits, causing changes of the wind at will when he rides the sky and bringing with him cold from icy shores. Though he was unruly he was also good and would appear to the people as an owl.

Both the air spirit and the earth spirit were in love with the water spirit; the water spirit however secretly loved the air spirit and during a time when the earth spirit was sleeping the water spirit confessed itís love for the air spirit. The earth spirit however was not in a deep slumber and woke up with a jolt, causing damage to the land around it and startling the people. Enraged he let loose a flurry of anger, breaking everything in his path and shouting a challenge to the air spirit.
    He declared a battle, if he lost, he would continue his slumber but if the air spirit lost he would need to separate himself from the water spirit forever.
    The city of Christchurch had sustained damage but the people banded together to build back what was lost, providing for those in need.
    When the spirit of water did not want the air to reply to the earth but she could not hold him back for long and when the earth began to rumble and cause destruction once more the air had to oblige his anger.

Swooping down the air spirit attacked the burly earth spirit with all of his might clawing and ripping at the earth but the earth spirit was strong and fought back. During their fight they did not realist the damage they were causing to the city and its inhabitants as well as the tribesmen below.
    They battled for days until finally as the air spirit was making his move to take the earth spiritís life he cornered him against the cathedral and leapt at him slashing and stabbing with all he had he lost control and knocked the spirit of the earth into the cathedralís tower, destroying it. Realising what he had done he looked around and saw all of the damage that he and the earth spirit had caused not only to the land and itís people but to the water spirit who loved the people of the land deeply he realised what was necessary.

To the spirit of the earth he declared defeat and turning to the spirit of the water he said his last goodbye. Rising into the air he left them both.
    The spirit of the water, still angry with the earth went back into the water and began to swirl and move the water so that it would erode the earth, slowly, forever in pain, so that it would be a reflection of the pain caused to her and the people she loved so dearly.

TLDR Version: Earth and Air Spirits loved Water Spirit who only loved the Air Spirit back. Earth Spirit became angry and shook, causing destruction in Canterbury. Air Spirit left to stop the movement of the earth. Water Spirit was saddened and angry and cuts into the Earth Spirit with each of her movements causing him constant pain (which is why the earth still groans and moves to this day).

Hope you like them!

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the story. Not sure you've conveyed it well, but it may work depending on the full out line of the task. One thing is that both the guys have their upper lip paler than the bottom one - it's usually the other way around, and they're both a bit big. It would be nice to see some traditional stuff like still lives in a media other than digital.

I visit everyone to see if they're a spammer - you didn't get banned.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the comment, now that I look at the lips more they do look really odd! I will keep that in mind in future drawings.

I have restarted this thread because it seemed really messy although my newer one looks messier D: anyway you can find it here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...he-Juice-Stain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting work, nice style. On side profile of your faces, if you drop a line down from inner Canthus (inner corner of eye) it should meet with corner of the mouth or node. You got it right on one but the other (guy with dark hair and stag above his head) is much too wide and is making him look odd. Check out Michelangelo's illustrations in Beverley Hales book on the masters if your in any doubt.

Also the church spires are wonky. From a front view take a line up the center and you will see the tops are all bent to the left. If the building is at an angle take a line up from the center of the base (thinking 3 dimensional as if there is a pole through the center of the structure.) Study creative Perspective for Artists and Illustrators if you want to nail it.

Hope that helps.

Digital Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marine_Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Marine_Blue, I will need to do some more face studies in the future to get it right. It does look a bit odd. I could see there was something wrong with the spires although I couldn't tell what but now that you mention it it is obvious, I could fix it up next time by rotating my canvas

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stick your Sb in your signature - makes it easier for people to reciprocate on replies.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.