Help with perspective please
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help with perspective please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with perspective please

I don't draw vehicles/machines often enough so I'm trying to focus on it more. What's getting me with this is the perspective--but I'm not sure if it's because i picked an angle that is maybe too skewed, and thus looks awkward even if the perspective is correct?

Anyway, attached is the image and also the image with my guidelines. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    Name:  sketch1.png
Views: 222
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  sketchwguides.png
Views: 215
Size:  140.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, you only have a 2 point perspective, whereas you should have a 3rd point underneath. Also, the wing thats furthest away would be.. further away, ie longer. Also the "vent" on top of the cockpit glass isn't centered.

"..now, to unleash screaming temporal doom.."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkrabid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, there are a couple of issues with the perspective, but nothing thats neither wrong nor impossible to improve on. The fisheye effect that you see is due to your focal points being to close to the object you are drawing.

The further away from the object that the vanishing point is the closer they will resemble straight lines and thus there will not be the odd distorted corners that you are seeing (see image below). With this said you want them to actually be their since they add to the depth.

Now, Inkrabid suggested a third vanishing point and while it can be useful it's not really necessary in this image, since the objects vertical height in relation to the canvas size is moderate and since we do not have anything to compare it to further "down" or "up".

Name:  1.png
Views: 94
Size:  100.5 KB

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Meijer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you try adding the 3rd point you will see a massive change, believe me. Changing the second perspective line will only make the model look as if it's coming from the left, instead of towards you, like you have intended it to. You can try changing THE OTHER perspective line if you think it looks too weird, but at this angle it's going to look a little warped anyway.

Last edited by Inkrabid; October 19th, 2012 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkrabid View Post
    If you try adding the 3rd point you will see a massive change, believe me. Changing the second perspective line will only make the model look as if it's coming from the left, instead of towards you, like you have intended it to.
    How do you mean? Would that not distort it more, not less? Or am I missing something...?

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think it looks "awkward" because one of the perspective points is lacking and gives it a sort of 2.5 Dimensional look. And if it was done with maybe the right direction point a little further to the right and the third point, it would look right.

He says: '..but I'm not sure if it's because i picked an angle that is maybe too skewed, and thus looks awkward even if the perspective is correct?.."

So Im stressing that the perspective ISN'T correct. The angle is also a bit awkward, but I think it would look fine given the correct perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inkrabid, I thought that the 3rd point is only really necessary for more extreme POV, looking down or up at an object--in which case, I guess I'm not sure how to judge how "extreme" this view is. Thanks for the input, I'm checking the vent placement now
    Tony, thanks for the paintover, I can see how moving the VPs can help make this less distorted.
    I have a good perspective book that I just need to dig out from storage, but in the meantime I will try this with some changes to the vanishing points.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very close, coming towards you would also classify as an extreme POV in my book.

Members who have read this thread: 1