Can I possibly get into an art school?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I possibly get into an art school?

So I'm a junior, starting to look at schools for after HS, and I don't know if I can ever get into an art school, or what I need to do to get better for one.

I looked at this http://www.ringling.edu/admissions-f...olio-examples/

And I'm starting to get doubtful.

Heres my sketchbook... Make sure you click on the 2 links for shittons fore drawing from the past 6 months or so...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ge-Dan-Schmidt

Im also starting art classes... Do I have what it takes to get good enough to make it into say, Calarts by next year? (I really wanna go to california... More internship reasons that anything)

So please let me know

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DRadDaDanDawg View Post
    Do I have what it takes to get good enough to make it into say, Calarts by next year?
    That really depends on how hard you work. Make this next year 100% about drawing from life and improving your craft, and you can have a shot. Seek out the blogs and portfolios of those who were accepted in previous years and study them. Of course, don't go failing your highschool courses either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything's possible, like OfficialLamp said. You'll need to work very very hard and draw from life, get all the fundamentals down pat!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I mean is how much do I need to improve?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I took a look at some of your stuff.

It's a good beginning. Like what others said here, work hard. Focus on anatomy, proportion, and structure more. Show some more 'imaginative' stuff with what you know/references.

Calarts is a pretty tough place to get into, and I don't know the school's programs too much other than animation. If you do want to get into animation, I think you'll have to really start working hard on your portfolio.

Good luck! Hope you can make it into your dream school!

EDIT: Also, don't draw too 'loosely.' No scribbly looking lines. Just look carefully, break the pieces down into simpler shapes, and draw it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I mean is how much do I need to improve?
    Are you Glen Keane? No? The answer is more. Always more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honesty, I'm not sure if it's possible to go from the level you're at now to the level you need to get to to get into CalArts in a single year, at least not when you have to spend a large chunk of your day in school. By all means try your best to prove me wrong, but you'd have to improve at at least three times the rate I did in high school, and I worked pretty hard. CalArts animation is one of the toughest art programs, of any type, to get into in the country, and you'll be competing against students who have been seriously studying drawing for years longer than you have.

The good news, though, is that there are a lot of great animation programs you could get into. SVA, SCAD, CCA, SJSU, maybe Ringling. I got accepted into Ringling with a portfolio that was no where near as good as the samples they show on the website (though I did have good grades, and I attended pre-college there during the summer): I think those images are more a goal to strive for than the minimum required to get in. I know for a fact that a couple of the images shown there were done by people who won Ringling's largest scholarship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thats why it sucks when all your friends think youre good and you just dont know the people who are better :/

I might end up taking a gap year to build skills and a portfolio while working to get some college funds...

Are there any other animation programs I might be able to get into? Preferably in LA?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the LA area, LCAD is the only other program with a good reputation. Otis also has a program, but I haven't been all that impressed by what I've seen from there.

There are roughly as many internship opportunities in New York and the Bay Area as there are in LA, though, so don't think you're limited to SoCal if you want to make connections.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thing is I already have a connection in Dreamworks

Cartoon network is also based around there, if I can get into a 2d show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do the admission skill level vary between Calarts and LCAD as far as animation go?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't base your decision on where to go to school on the locations of big studios (unless you're gonna have professors from those studios as teachers). The big studios recruit nationally for their internships, so being local won't actually be much of an advantage to getting in. Ringling probably sends more students to big name studios that any other school, and they're in the middle of nowhere. It's smaller studios that won't hire you unless you're local (or, alternately, they'd theoretically be happy to hire you, but you'd never hear about the opening unless you're local. Also, internships at big studios are really, really hard to get. Hundreds of applicants per spot isn't unusual. You're far, far more likely to land an internship somewhere that you've never heard of.

And LCAD is much easier to get into than CalArts. Roughly fifty percent acceptance ratio, instead of less than ten percent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok cool, Ill work hard over the next 1-2 years and hopefully Ill get into at least one of them

And either way I wouldnt mind living in California as opposed to Mass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to add... just because you get accepted into art school (even at CalArts/Ringling) doesn't mean you're necessarily ready. And that's not a bad thing either. Taking a gap year is smart. Also, I've found that kids who've had to take some time off, work a crappy job, go to community college... they are much more motivated than most of the kids who just came right out of high school.

Go to art school when you're ready, not when you've got an okay portfolio. Honestly, it's harder to stay in at art school than it is to be accepted. Just my two cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update, check out the Imageshack links, theyre probably the most common stuff I do

So portfolio wise, am I getting into any art school? (if I refine a portfolio that is)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update, check out the Imageshack links, theyre probably the most common stuff I do

So portfolio wise, am I getting into any art school? (if I refine a portfolio that is)
    Bud, I know you're just looking for some reassurance and ass pats, but right now they're a waste of your time.
    Keep drawing, put as much effort as you can spare into improving and keep reaching for that goal. If you get in, awesome, you worked for it. If you don't, that doesn't mean you didn't work hard, it just means you weren't ready. And honestly, few people are ready for this sort of thing right out of highschool. You got a long way to go, so you better get back to it.

Also, quit drawing on lined paper! That shit will get you passed over in a portfolio review so fast.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yes, if you follow the correct process

In order to get accepted into any reputable school you will need to demonstrate skill in fundamental drawing ability - not copying (or from your imagination at this stage) - you need to draw from life. And yes, it will be competitive to get into a good school - if it wasn't you wouldn't value the education you receive when you finally get accepted.

The best art, animation, and design schools want to see a portfolio of your best and most recent work. If you’re looking to apply to one of these, here’s what you need to do to build a winning art portfolio.
    Draw from life. The biggest skill that serious schools look for is observational drawing. This is the same for any nearly any discipline, from fine arts to design, architecture to 3D animation. If you draw from photographs or 2D work, it will be obvious to the reviewer. You need to prove that you can translate 3D concepts into a 2D space, that you can rotate a subject and keep the correct proportions and perspective.
    Keep a sketchbook. You’ll want to show your process work – how you developed your ideas and how your work has matured. Some art schools will require that you submit your sketchbook along with your portfolio to give further insight.
    Show some personal work. This may be experimental work or pieces that showcase your personal interest in a subject or medium. If you want to get into an animation school, like CalArts as you mentioned, you might need to provide some motion graphics work or a demo reel.
    Do your research. Find out what specific requirements or exercises your school may require, such as the famous RISD bicycle exercise or SCAD’s water study.
    Be original. There are many aspiring artists applying to art school every year. Out of all the hundreds of portfolios and blogs, you want yours to be one that stands out and is remembered.
    Demonstrate good technical skills. Make sure that you have the basics down: anatomy, color, lighting, etc. A creative art piece without proper proportions is not going to impress.
    Here are some exercises that will help you focus and hopefully put you on the right track
    • Draw your hand, or sit on the floor and draw your feet — right now.
    • Draw a self-portrait using a mirror NOT from a photo.
    • Around your house: Draw object studies of kitchen appliances, TV remotes, staplers, and anything you find interesting. Throw a pair of boots and an umbrella in a corner and draw them.
    • Experiment with different compositions. Choosing what to focus on in your work and where you draw the viewer’s eye is crucial to the story you are telling through your art. Cropping your work to alter the composition can enliven an otherwise uninspiring piece. Play with this.
    • Draw and explore perspective. Draw a perspective view of a room in your house from two different corners – that’s two separate drawings. Make sure the horizon line is consistent in both drawings (around 5 ft/1.6m).
    • Draw staircases, building interiors, exteriors, and surrounding environment.
    • Go to the zoo and choose an animal to study. Capture motion with quick sketches, and show different perspectives.
    • Lastly, it doesn't matter if your dog moves… its an animal, that's what they do Use this as an opportunity to do short form lose sketch work and build up your confidence. It is not about perfection at this stage. It is about confidence, observation and interpretation.

Hope this helps,

Stephen, Artzolio.org

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Artzolio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artzolio View Post
    In order to get accepted into any reputable school you will need to demonstrate skill in fundamental drawing ability - not copying (or from your imagination at this stage) - you need to draw from life. And yes, it will be competitive to get into a good school - if it wasn't you wouldn't value the education you receive when you finally get accepted.

The best art, animation, and design schools want to see a portfolio of your best and most recent work. If you’re looking to apply to one of these, here’s what you need to do to build a winning art portfolio.
    Draw from life. The biggest skill that serious schools look for is observational drawing. This is the same for any nearly any discipline, from fine arts to design, architecture to 3D animation. If you draw from photographs or 2D work, it will be obvious to the reviewer. You need to prove that you can translate 3D concepts into a 2D space, that you can rotate a subject and keep the correct proportions and perspective.
    Keep a sketchbook. You’ll want to show your process work – how you developed your ideas and how your work has matured. Some art schools will require that you submit your sketchbook along with your portfolio to give further insight.
    Show some personal work. This may be experimental work or pieces that showcase your personal interest in a subject or medium. If you want to get into an animation school, like CalArts as you mentioned, you might need to provide some motion graphics work or a demo reel.
    Do your research. Find out what specific requirements or exercises your school may require, such as the famous RISD bicycle exercise or SCAD’s water study.
    Be original. There are many aspiring artists applying to art school every year. Out of all the hundreds of portfolios and blogs, you want yours to be one that stands out and is remembered.
    Demonstrate good technical skills. Make sure that you have the basics down: anatomy, color, lighting, etc. A creative art piece without proper proportions is not going to impress.
    Here are some exercises that will help you focus and hopefully put you on the right track
    • Draw your hand, or sit on the floor and draw your feet — right now.
    • Draw a self-portrait using a mirror NOT from a photo.
    • Around your house: Draw object studies of kitchen appliances, TV remotes, staplers, and anything you find interesting. Throw a pair of boots and an umbrella in a corner and draw them.
    • Experiment with different compositions. Choosing what to focus on in your work and where you draw the viewer’s eye is crucial to the story you are telling through your art. Cropping your work to alter the composition can enliven an otherwise uninspiring piece. Play with this.
    • Draw and explore perspective. Draw a perspective view of a room in your house from two different corners – that’s two separate drawings. Make sure the horizon line is consistent in both drawings (around 5 ft/1.6m).
    • Draw staircases, building interiors, exteriors, and surrounding environment.
    • Go to the zoo and choose an animal to study. Capture motion with quick sketches, and show different perspectives.
    • Lastly, it doesn't matter if your dog moves… its an animal, that's what they do Use this as an opportunity to do short form lose sketch work and build up your confidence. It is not about perfection at this stage. It is about confidence, observation and interpretation.

Hope this helps,

Stephen, Artzolio.org
    (haha I meant he moved and left the room but I guess thats not an excuse haha)

And thanks a lot, I was working on colored pencil skills by drawing a simple imaginary hill view, but it would probably be better to draw real things like you said, also I dont know how to add another quote but I appreciate the help from offical lamp too thanks a ton you guys, Ill keep working on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I knew what I wanted to do during my junior year. In that regard, you are on a good path.
    If you are trying to study animation, as it has been said before me, work observationally. Draw what you see, and do at least a single sketch a day. Get into the habit of people watching, and as you are watching draw the people. catch their motion in a gesture drawing. Think about it; what is animation if not catching and understanding motion? get into the habit of working full image into more detail. imagine that at any point you might need to turn in your work as a completed project, so work from the whole image, into the details. draw the whole body- don't start on the face.
    I've heard Calarts tends to have a lot of color entries. maybe you can find out more on animatedbuzz(dot)com, as they seem to specialize in calarts and cal arts related concepts.
    Don't give up-but do work hard. The best way to get better?
    Give 110%
    this means not doing the best you know you can do- 100%- but keep pushing to get a bit better. Understand that you are not the best, sadly may never be the best, but you can work hard than those with more "talent" and get further than they could ever dream.
    art is not something people are born with, it is something you must work for- and the good news is, that means it's something you CAN lean. If you really want it you can become an artist. it will be work, but if you truly love it- if you are truly passionate- it will all be worth it.
    As it stands the pieces in your sketchbook; I know I wouldn't accept you if I were in admissions. don't feel bad though, I doubt I'd accept myself, and I'm regularly tearing my hair out because of it. A lot of your pieces seem incomplete.
    You should look over the accepted portfolio sections of various schools, and figure out what makes those pieces great. what do they do, that you aren't to make them stand out so strongly? if you can learn and adopt skills others use you may be better for it.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually spoke to a calarts rep on their animation admission standards. They don't really care about color.(her exact reply when I asked her about more color peices were a shrug of her shoulders and "1 or 2" is fine.) They want to see gesture! Gesture! gesture. Show some gesture room drawings in your sketchbook, lots of animals, keep good variety of objects. they want alot of gesture and observational work, essentially.

I'll agree with everyone above, its not there yet. you really need to push.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha I brought my sketchbook into school to do just that today, I'll post the 6 or so I did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything's possible, like OfficialLamp said. You'll need to work very very hard and draw from life, get all the fundamentals down pat! That really depends on how hard you work. Make this next year 100% about drawing from life and improving your craft, and you can have a shot. Seek out the blogs and portfolios of those who were accepted in previous years and study them. Of course, don't go failing your highschool courses either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the problem with art school, they will let you in because you have to PAY them, they are there to MAKE MONEY. The only real assurance you will do fine in ANY university is the amount of work YOU YOURSELF put into it. In my graduating class there were plenty of people graduating who still didn't have a grasp on fundamentals, but still got a degree. Also, any college that offers BFA's or Design degrees will get you the same diploma that an actual art school will, for much less and I've never had an employer act like they even cared what university I graduated from, only my experience and portfolio.

That being said, if you don't think your work is good enough and you get accepted, they are honestly just taking your money. That's how higher ed works.

Members who have read this thread: 41