Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I possibly get into an art school?

Thanks

Can I possibly get into an art school?

So I'm a junior, starting to look at schools for after HS, and I don't know if I can ever get into an art school, or what I need to do to get better for one.

I looked at this http://www.ringling.edu/admissions-f...olio-examples/

And I'm starting to get doubtful.

Heres my sketchbook... Make sure you click on the 2 links for shittons fore drawing from the past 6 months or so...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ge-Dan-Schmidt

Im also starting art classes... Do I have what it takes to get good enough to make it into say, Calarts by next year? (I really wanna go to california... More internship reasons that anything)

So please let me know

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRadDaDanDawg View Post
    Do I have what it takes to get good enough to make it into say, Calarts by next year?
    That really depends on how hard you work. Make this next year 100% about drawing from life and improving your craft, and you can have a shot. Seek out the blogs and portfolios of those who were accepted in previous years and study them. Of course, don't go failing your highschool courses either.

Thanks
    Anything's possible, like OfficialLamp said. You'll need to work very very hard and draw from life, get all the fundamentals down pat!

Thanks
    What I mean is how much do I need to improve?

Thanks
    Hey, I took a look at some of your stuff.

It's a good beginning. Like what others said here, work hard. Focus on anatomy, proportion, and structure more. Show some more 'imaginative' stuff with what you know/references.

Calarts is a pretty tough place to get into, and I don't know the school's programs too much other than animation. If you do want to get into animation, I think you'll have to really start working hard on your portfolio.

Good luck! Hope you can make it into your dream school!

EDIT: Also, don't draw too 'loosely.' No scribbly looking lines. Just look carefully, break the pieces down into simpler shapes, and draw it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRadDaDanDawg View Post
    What I mean is how much do I need to improve?
    Are you Glen Keane? No? The answer is more. Always more.

Thanks
    Honesty, I'm not sure if it's possible to go from the level you're at now to the level you need to get to to get into CalArts in a single year, at least not when you have to spend a large chunk of your day in school. By all means try your best to prove me wrong, but you'd have to improve at at least three times the rate I did in high school, and I worked pretty hard. CalArts animation is one of the toughest art programs, of any type, to get into in the country, and you'll be competing against students who have been seriously studying drawing for years longer than you have.

The good news, though, is that there are a lot of great animation programs you could get into. SVA, SCAD, CCA, SJSU, maybe Ringling. I got accepted into Ringling with a portfolio that was no where near as good as the samples they show on the website (though I did have good grades, and I attended pre-college there during the summer): I think those images are more a goal to strive for than the minimum required to get in. I know for a fact that a couple of the images shown there were done by people who won Ringling's largest scholarship.

Thanks
    Ah thats why it sucks when all your friends think youre good and you just dont know the people who are better :/

I might end up taking a gap year to build skills and a portfolio while working to get some college funds...

Are there any other animation programs I might be able to get into? Preferably in LA?

Thanks
    In the LA area, LCAD is the only other program with a good reputation. Otis also has a program, but I haven't been all that impressed by what I've seen from there.

There are roughly as many internship opportunities in New York and the Bay Area as there are in LA, though, so don't think you're limited to SoCal if you want to make connections.

Thanks
    Thing is I already have a connection in Dreamworks

Cartoon network is also based around there, if I can get into a 2d show

Thanks
    How do the admission skill level vary between Calarts and LCAD as far as animation go?

Thanks
    Don't base your decision on where to go to school on the locations of big studios (unless you're gonna have professors from those studios as teachers). The big studios recruit nationally for their internships, so being local won't actually be much of an advantage to getting in. Ringling probably sends more students to big name studios that any other school, and they're in the middle of nowhere. It's smaller studios that won't hire you unless you're local (or, alternately, they'd theoretically be happy to hire you, but you'd never hear about the opening unless you're local. Also, internships at big studios are really, really hard to get. Hundreds of applicants per spot isn't unusual. You're far, far more likely to land an internship somewhere that you've never heard of.

And LCAD is much easier to get into than CalArts. Roughly fifty percent acceptance ratio, instead of less than ten percent.

Thanks
    Ok cool, Ill work hard over the next 1-2 years and hopefully Ill get into at least one of them

And either way I wouldnt mind living in California as opposed to Mass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast